Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple Amex Apps, Best Strategy

tag
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Multiple Amex Apps, Best Strategy

I've read that if you apply for multiple Amex cards on the same day, you only see one inquiry.  I would like to add an additional Amex for the history and to have an Amex revolver.

My open accounts are:

1.  Amex Preferred Rewards Gold.  I received it in October, but it is backdated to 1998.  I put about $5K per month through it, and of course, PIF.

2.  Cap One Platinum.  Limit is $2500.  Balance is $0.

I have two closed accounts that are carrying balances that I am going to pay off next month.  According to the FICO score simulator, once those are paid off, my EQ and TU scores will be in the 710-750 range.  My current scores are in my signature line (I know Amex pulls EX and uses their own internal assessment).

Once the other balances are paid off and my reports update, I would like the Starwood Preferred Guest Card.  I know it is another annual fee card, but I think the points I could earn from business travel would be worth it.  The fact that you can transfer the points to just about any airline would help me liberate some otherwie worthless points on airlines I don't fly too frequently. 

But assuming I can't get that card, I'd like the Hilton HHonors card (regular card, not Surpass).  If I can't get the SPG card, I just want another Amex for the history so I don't want to pay an annual fee.  I'd be able to make some use of the HHonors points. 

Assuming I am not instantly approved for the SPG card, would the best bet be to call a backdoor number to check on status and then if they won't approve it on recon, ask if they can approve me for the HHonors card rather than applying for both cards online?  Anyone have any thoughts on whether I'd be approved for either of those cards?

Other relevant info: I have major lates (120 days and 150 days) on my reports.  They are just over two years old.  I have no lates since December 2008.  Other than those lates, which I realize are serious, I have no other baddies, no charge offs, collections, etc.  I have no negative history with Amex, never been late on one of their cards.   ETA: I was pre-qualified for the HHonors Suprass card a few weeks ago, but I haven't seen that offer again.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Re: Multiple Amex Apps, Best Strategy

Anyone have any insight here.  I know that was rather long-winded.  What I am trying to figure out is how to go about apping for an additional Amex and only incur one inquiry.  I want the SPG card.  If I don't get that, I'd like the Hilton HHonors card. 

Does anyone know if you can call them and do an app over the phone and ask them to consider you for an alternate card if you are denied without another pull?  I know I could call and ask, but CSRs sometimes don't understand the ins and outs of hard pulls and soft pulls.  Does the multiple apps with one inquiry thing I've read about for Amex only apply if you are apping online?

Thanks.

Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)

Message 2 of 10
jefftca925
Established Contributor

You might be ok with app'ing for the SPG card with your scores and having history with Amex.  I don't know from experience but I've read that you can't apply for another Amex card after you've been denied for at least 30 days.  Again....YMMV.  Did you try to see if you're pre-qualified on their website?  That's usually a reliable indicator.

CCs: Chase Freedom VS 12.9k, CSP VISA Sg 13k, BofA Amex 24.5k, Discover 12.5k, US Bank Cash+ Visa Sg 17k, Macy's Amex 8k/1.5k, Gap Visa 10k, Best Buy 11.1k, Citi TY MC 10.8k, Citi AA Amex 6k, Nordstrom VS 10k, Costco Amex 12k, BofA CR VS 5k, Amex BCP 13.5k, Amex ED 5k, Sears MC 9k, HD 7k, Target 600, Amazon 7k, US Bank MC 15k, US Airways MC 8k, NFL Visa 4k, Patelco Visa 10k, Penfed PR VS 44.6k, Chase Hyatt VS 8k, Citi Simplicity 13.3k, PayPal MC 7.5k, BBVA Visa 4k, WF VS 14k, FNBO Amex 14.1k, OCCU VISA 15k, TR Visa Sg 16.3k, C1 QS Visa 11k, FRN MC 15k, HSN 4k, Saks WEMC 10k/4k, Chase Ink 18k, Arrival WEMC 10k, Ebates VS 8k, Orbitz VS 12k, NASA V 30k, USBk FP VS 21.5k, DC 30k, VirgAm 15k, Sams MC 15k, Amex Bz Gold, Amex SC 10k, BofW Bz MC 18k
Message 3 of 10
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

I get pre-approvals every so often for the Hilton Surpass card and Blue Sky card as well as all of the charge products.  But I've never received a pre-approval for the SPG card. 

I'm still waiting on my scores to update from paying down all of my CC debt.  The cards report April 7th and 8th.  Once the scores update, I'll apply.  The simulator predicted a jump to 710-750 for EQ and I believe 720-760 for TU (can't remember exactly).  I think I'll be good with those numbers, but we'll see. 

There are several threads that say if you apply for multiple Amex products online on the same day it counts as only one inquiry.  I suppose I could just apply for both online, and if I am approved for both, only activate one of the cards.  Hopefully, I get approved for the SPG card instantly and it will be a non-issue.

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Walt_K wrote:

I get pre-approvals every so often for the Hilton Surpass card and Blue Sky card as well as all of the charge products.  But I've never received a pre-approval for the SPG card. 

I'm still waiting on my scores to update from paying down all of my CC debt.  The cards report April 7th and 8th.  Once the scores update, I'll apply.  The simulator predicted a jump to 710-750 for EQ and I believe 720-760 for TU (can't remember exactly).  I think I'll be good with those numbers, but we'll see. 

There are several threads that say if you apply for multiple Amex products online on the same day it counts as only one inquiry.  I suppose I could just apply for both online, and if I am approved for both, only activate one of the cards.  Hopefully, I get approved for the SPG card instantly and it will be a non-issue.

I believe this is only true if you are approved for the first card. If you are denied on the first card, the system will tell you that you have recently applied and wont process the second app.

Message 5 of 10
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I believe SPG and Hilton are the same class of cards and if you were denied for SPG, you would be denied Hilton also.  And like other posters, 2 apps in one day is only if approved for the first one, don't believe you can apply for something else if denied within 30 days.

Message 6 of 10
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Thanks everyone.  That clears that up.  I'll hope that my preapprovals for the Hilton Surpass card are an indication that I will be approved for the SPG card.

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was denied for Blue Cash less than 30 days ago. A second app for the same card was cancelled (don't ask, I fixed a report and they said I couldn't recon).

You can apply for other cards inside the 30 day window. You just can't apply for the same card.

As others have said, multiple apps in one day only incur one hard inq.

On Sunday, I was approved for a Zync first and  then a Green, and I am waiting on a PR Gold (I applied for it last). I have monitoring on my EX and there was only one inq.

This way, if I don't happen to get approved for the PR Gold I can fall back on the Green and not have to worry about another inq (as opposed to apping for the best card first and having to wait more than a day).

I did call and mention that they should note that I was only going to activate/keep one on my pending app so they don't cancel it because I was approved for two others.

They also have to send the cards out, and I will have to cancel them at that point (which is kinda cool, I like the look of the Zync and I can keep it in my wallet for kicks if I want Smiley Wink)

Message 8 of 10
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

3 charge cards in one day!!!  If your credit is good enough for a charge card you can have anyone you want... they have the same standards rather its Zync or Platinum.

I would have applied for Gold if that's what you wanted and then for the 2nd app hit up a credit card product.

Now your going to have 3 new accounts open up on your credit which will effect your average age of accounts on credit report.

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, I know. I will be cancelling one or two depending on how the PR Gold comes through.

I had an old unactivated Blue cash from 2 years ago, so I am going to try super hard to get my green/gold backdated. My oldest revolving is from 2008 so that would be great.

Unfortunately, I was wishy washy about AF and everything and then I kept saying "Why not go for the better one" and ended up stopping at PR Gold thank god. I also wasn't sure if they had different standards for different charge cards.

I was denied for a Blue Cash 2-3 weeks ago, and they supposedly reconned me with my new fixed report but the reasons were exactly the same (1.3% is high util?) so I didn't even feel like messing with a credit card.

I have trouble pulling the trigger sometimes, can ya tell?

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.