Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple Barlcay Cards

tag
zyzzus
Established Contributor

Multiple Barlcay Cards

My 6th statement will cut on my Priceline Visa in May.  I am VERY interested in applying for the Sallie Mae Mastercard (I could put all of my spending on these two cards and average more then two% cashback.  I'd just like some feedback from people that may have to cards with them approximate timeframe on apps and whatnot.  I know Barclay is picky at times.  Thanks for looking and replying.

Capital One Quicksilver- $5,400 | Chase Freedom - $8,000 | Chase Freedom Unlimited- $13,000 | Chase Amazon -$5,000 | Priceline Visa -$10,000 | US Bank Cash+ - $18,200 | Fidelity Visa -$10,000 | Sallie Mae- $10,000  | DCU Platinum $12,000 | Discover IT - $10,000 | Amex EveryDay - $25,000  | Amex BlueCash Everyday- $9,800 | Citi DoubleCash - $18,000 | Sapphire Preferred- $13,000 Freedom Unlimited$7,000 Blispay$12,000 | Chase Sapphire Reserve- $18,000 | Consumers Credit Union Visa Sig Cash Rebate$25,000

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
zyzzus
Established Contributor

Re: Multiple Barlcay Cards

Please respond

Capital One Quicksilver- $5,400 | Chase Freedom - $8,000 | Chase Freedom Unlimited- $13,000 | Chase Amazon -$5,000 | Priceline Visa -$10,000 | US Bank Cash+ - $18,200 | Fidelity Visa -$10,000 | Sallie Mae- $10,000  | DCU Platinum $12,000 | Discover IT - $10,000 | Amex EveryDay - $25,000  | Amex BlueCash Everyday- $9,800 | Citi DoubleCash - $18,000 | Sapphire Preferred- $13,000 Freedom Unlimited$7,000 Blispay$12,000 | Chase Sapphire Reserve- $18,000 | Consumers Credit Union Visa Sig Cash Rebate$25,000

Message 2 of 14
b_seeker
Frequent Contributor

I didn't apply for more cards until the 13th month mark so I can't give insight there. My first app though was with them to get a rewards MC because every CSR told me no PCs. Anyway, I was declined for having too much credit extended to me (by them) already. I'm not sure what limits you are looking for or what income you will report to them, but its worth keeping in mind. I took too long for the recon process so unfortunately I can't tell you what they would do in that case either.

Sorry, it isn't much help.

|| Barclaycard Rewards Visa $5500 || AMEX BCE $2000 || Discover IT $3000 || Amazon Rewards Visa $1800 ||
|| Chase Freedom $2700 || CSP $5000 || Chase Marriott Premier $7500 || Sallie Mae MC $3800 ||

FICO Scores: EX 752 (3/13/13) || EQ 782 (10/4/13) || TU 724 (1/18/13)

In the garden as of 10/12/2013
Message 3 of 14
Open123
Super Contributor

Once every 6 months is fine with Barclays.

Just make sure it's past the 6 month mark, and if going through manual review, let the process run its course before calling for a recon.  Calling too soon may result in additional hard pulls and unecessary questioning, since your application will likely end up being approved after the review process.

Message 4 of 14
zyzzus
Established Contributor

@b_seeker wrote:

I didn't apply for more cards until the 13th month mark so I can't give insight there. My first app though was with them to get a rewards MC because every CSR told me no PCs. Anyway, I was declined for having too much credit extended to me (by them) already. I'm not sure what limits you are looking for or what income you will report to them, but its worth keeping in mind. I took too long for the recon process so unfortunately I can't tell you what they would do in that case either.

Sorry, it isn't much help.

Ideally I'd like to get a world mastercard ie 5k limit

thank you for replying.  I am going to shoot for 6 months.

@Open123 wrote:

Once every 6 months is fine with Barclays.

Just make sure it's past the 6 month mark, and if going through manual review, let the process run its course before calling for a recon.  Calling too soon may result in additional hard pulls and unecessary questioning, since your application will likely end up being approved after the review process.

@ I am planning on apping the day the sixth statement cuts.  It will be incredibly diffcult for me not to cal and recon if there is not an instant approval.  My first recon went great (called to get approved @ 1k and IMMEDIATELY called back and got 2K granted)

Message 5 of 14
myjourney
Super Contributor

Barclay loves the 6 months rules

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 6 of 14
BCGCredit
New Contributor

Good question. I am on my first the ring card. And would like the apple financing at some point.
Overstock 8.9K|VS 1.3K|Express 1K|Credit One 1.3K| Cap1 QS1 750|1st Premier 950|Cap1 Playstation 750|Target 800|PayPal 2% MC 700|Discover 6K|Nordstrom 4.8K|PayPal Credit 2K|AMEX DG 1K|

Message 7 of 14
Hammer23
Frequent Contributor

I was able to get my Ring Card 12 months after my Rewards card. 

Barclays is good about transferring the lines between the cards. If you get declined, Recon it. You should be able to at least split the line. 

WF Home Projects Visa $8500 / Towpath CU Visa $7000 / Chase Freedom Visa $5500 / Cap 1 QS Visa Sig $5000 / Barclaycard Ring MC $5000 / GE Lowes $5000 / Citi Best Buy MC $4250 / Barclaycard Rewards Visa $4000 / BFG CU Visa $3500 / Citi Sears$3000 / WF Visa $2000 / GE Walmart $1900 / GE Care Credit $1900 / GE Amazon $1400 / Cap 1 Kohls $1000 / GE Old Navy $800 / Webbank Fingerhut $700
Message 8 of 14
mikka1
Frequent Contributor

My DW tried to apply for NFL ExtraPoints 2 months after getting another Barclays card - instant denial.

Recon call was also unsuccessful - a female CSR was actually quite rude (maybe she doesn't like churners hunting for sign-up bonuses, who knows? Smiley Very Happy) and just reconfirmed the automated decision. She also declined the suggestion to split my DW's existing line to two cards...

Lately I even read stories on other boards about such recon calls ending up with shutting of existing Barclays cards down by CSRs/analysts... So if there's no absolute need in another card from this lender and if you value your existing relationship, then it might be a good idea not to try. If you just need a second card from them for whatever reason and you don't actually care a lot about your existing card with them, then you might try :-)

In my wallet now: Amex PRG NPSL, Amex BCE $15k $17k (thanks to recent CLI), Chase Freedom 11k, CSP $6k, Chase United ME $5k, Citi Dividend $5.6k, Discover It $4.5k and a handful of other cards...
TU Dec 2013 - 752Sep 2013 - 764 - new all time maximum

Obsolete data aboveCurrent TU - probably around ~810, only using a few Chase & BofA cards now, not applying for much until we buy a house
Message 9 of 14
Open123
Super Contributor

@mikka1 wrote:

My DW tried to apply for NFL ExtraPoints 2 months after getting another Barclays card - instant denial.

Recon call was also unsuccessful - a female CSR was actually quite rude (maybe she doesn't like churners hunting for sign-up bonuses, who knows? Smiley Very Happy) and just reconfirmed the automated decision. She also declined the suggestion to split my DW's existing line to two cards...

Lately I even read stories on other boards about such recon calls ending up with shutting of existing Barclays cards down by CSRs/analysts... So if there's no absolute need in another card from this lender and if you value your existing relationship, then it might be a good idea not to try. If you just need a second card from them for whatever reason and you don't actually care a lot about your existing card with them, then you might try :-)

Barclays definitely isn't fond of churners.  

A card every 6 months, I think they'll tolerate.  A card in 2 or 3 months--unless there's a compelling reason--will be seen as excessive, especially when a sign up bonus is involved.  Sometimes, with Barclays, calling in for recon isn't the wisest course of action.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.