Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple credit cards, same name, same account, different number

tag
JaysonT
Regular Contributor

Multiple credit cards, same name, same account, different number

Time to ask a question of the all knowing and powerful Oz, a.k.a. myFICO forum members.

I am wondering if it is possible to have two credit cards with the same user name, same account but different numbers?  What I am really looking for is a primary card with my full credit limit from XYorZ bank and a secondary card in my name also which I can set a limit on the spend capability on.  

Okay, I know that seems like an odd situation I am trying to create but there is a great reason.  I often run into the problem that I go to the gym and don't end up having my wallet with me.  I then go to the store only to find I don't have a card with me.  I keep $20 in my gym bag but would like to also keep a card in the bag which I can use in these self created "emergencies".  I really don't want to have a card with the full credit available should the bag be lost.  My thought was it would be nice to be able to set a limit of like $200 on the card and that way I have some spending ability without the option for someone else to go nuts.

Maybe I am just making too much of this and it would be simpler to just get a second card with the same number and throw it in the bag.

Thoughts, ideas, recommendations?  TIA.

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

Re: Multiple credit cards, same name, same account, different number

Get $200 pre paid CC buddy
Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 2 of 14
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

Citi and American Express let you set limits for autorised users. American Express account numbers will be different; I am unsure about Citi. Business credit cards will also be a different number and let you set limits.

Message 3 of 14
JaysonT
Regular Contributor

Yeah but can you set yourself as an authorized user?  I did not think that would be possible.

Message 4 of 14
JaysonT
Regular Contributor

@nicholasyud wrote:
Get $200 pre paid CC buddy

There would be no protection in that.  That would be the same as throwing $200 in the bag.

Message 5 of 14
vn25
Valued Member

Can you open an amex: pass account and link it to your main amex account, and keep that one at the gym?
Message 6 of 14
rustystick
New Contributor

discover has a feature where it lets you choose another design and have both cards coexist with each others and yet they do have a marker to distinguish between the two (A001, A002, and etc).  see if the trick (preset limit for one of them) above mentioned with authorized user works with discover

CSP 10k 0 Discover It 7.8k AmazonVisa 3k Freedom 1500 US Bank Cash Rewards 1500 BofA123 3300 SallieMae 3800
Message 7 of 14
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

You can just have multiple credit cards, you know.

I'm sure you could convince any credit card company to give you another credit card, and simply request the credit limit be something really low. If you ever get an auto cli, just call and ask for a decrease... Or choose a company that allows you to reallocate credit limits between cards, then whenever you get an auto cli, use reallocation to reduce the limit on the gym bag card, while moving the increase to your high limit card(s).

Set up automatic payments, and you're good to go.

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 8 of 14
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@rustystick wrote:

discover has a feature where it lets you choose another design and have both cards coexist with each others and yet they do have a marker to distinguish between the two (A001, A002, and etc).  see if the trick (preset limit for one of them) above mentioned with authorized user works with discover

I have this problem more than I care to admit.  I have multiple Discovers.. One stays in the wallet, one stays in my desk drawer in my  home office. The Discovers have the same account number but different Card IDs

My Zync stays in the glove compartment of the vehicle, which is locked. I keep a debit card at work, which has no ATM fees no matter which ATM I use, just in case I leave my wallet at home and need some cash...

My daughter has a pre-paid Visa Buxx Debit card from NFCU that she keeps with her, the card replacement fee is $5, but so far I haven't had to replace the card for her.  I told her that if the card had to be replaced, then the $5 would come out of her pocket.

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 9 of 14
JaysonT
Regular Contributor

@rustystick wrote:

I think I am going to take this approach since it seems the easiest to do.  Thanks for the feedback from everyone.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.