Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple credit cards, same name, same account, different number

tag
nyancat
Established Contributor

Re: Multiple credit cards, same name, same account, different number

The whole thing seems silly. If the card gets stolen, so what? You're not liable as long as you report it stolen immediately.

American Express Blue Cash Everyday - $11,000; American Express Platinum Cashback Everyday - £3,000; American Express Rewards Credit Card - £7,500; Aqua Reward Mastercard - £3,500; Bank of America Travel Rewards - $5,000; Barclaycard Freedom Rewards - £3,500; Citi Forward - $5,800; Discover It - $10,000; Halifax Clarity - £1,500; HSBC Platinum with Rewards - $5,000, MBNA Everyday Plus - £3,500
Message 11 of 14
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@JaysonT wrote:

Yeah but can you set yourself as an authorized user?  I did not think that would be possible.

I don't think it's possible either, but I would call them and explain your situation.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 12 of 14
JaysonT
Regular Contributor

@nyancat wrote:

The whole thing seems silly. If the card gets stolen, so what? You're not liable as long as you report it stolen immediately.

You are correct, I would not be responsible but the entire process can be annoying and time consuming with the paperwork and phone calls.  I have had five card numbers stolen in the last three years with very different experiences with each card company.  The last was a Citi card which was hit with just under $30,000 over a weekend.  This was not a personal card but a corporate purchasing card but I did the same "stuff" I would need to do if it were my own.  I honestly thought the woman from Citi I spoke to on the phone was going to cry.  I have never experienced another CSR get emotional about charges but she was clearly upset.

Message 13 of 14
nyancat
Established Contributor

Be more careful! And you'd STILL go through all that over $200. The process wouldn't be meaningfully different. Just watch out Smiley Happy And hope for true Chip-and-PIN in the US soon.

American Express Blue Cash Everyday - $11,000; American Express Platinum Cashback Everyday - £3,000; American Express Rewards Credit Card - £7,500; Aqua Reward Mastercard - £3,500; Bank of America Travel Rewards - $5,000; Barclaycard Freedom Rewards - £3,500; Citi Forward - $5,800; Discover It - $10,000; Halifax Clarity - £1,500; HSBC Platinum with Rewards - $5,000, MBNA Everyday Plus - £3,500
Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.