cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Must I use my legal first name on my cards?

tag
RockySC
Established Member

Must I use my legal first name on my cards?

This may be a stupid question, but it's a very quick one. Must I use my legal first name on all of my applications? If so, after I apply can I have the name on the physical card changed? I go by my middle name for what's worth. I would just like to have my middle name on all of my cards and papers and information. Thanks.

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
megaman1
Regular Contributor

Re: Must I use my legal first name on my cards?

Yes you should, Jose.

Message 2 of 12
JediNeo
Frequent Contributor

It should match whatever your government issued ID reflects.
NFCU Cash Rewards | CSP | Freedom Unlimited | WalMart MC | Target Red MC | Citi Costco | AMEX BCE
Message 3 of 12
grinlikechelsea
Established Contributor

@JediNeo wrote:
It should match whatever your government issued ID reflects.

+1

You can't have a different name on the card unless you've gone through the legal process of changing your name and have had it reflected on your DL/ID.

Message 4 of 12
RockySC
Established Member

Blah, ok, that's what I thought. I hate giving my card over and people always call me by a name that I am never called in any other situation, lol.

Message 5 of 12
grinlikechelsea
Established Contributor

@RockySC wrote:

Blah, ok, that's what I thought. I hate giving my card over and people always call me by a name that I am never called in any other situation, lol.

Well, maybe you can have the first initial, your middle name, and then your last name? I don't know if the banks will let you; I've only ever fought with FIA because a hyphenated last name is apparently too difficult of a concept to grasp. Smiley Tongue

Message 6 of 12
-Wade-
Valued Contributor

@RockySC wrote:

This may be a stupid question, but it's a very quick one. Must I use my legal first name on all of my applications? If so, after I apply can I have the name on the physical card changed? I go by my middle name for what's worth. I would just like to have my middle name on all of my cards and papers and information. Thanks.

I go by my middle name all the time but on my cards I use my first name always.

"Garden Club Member " Old user name newportguy*** Current Score: myFico EQ - 830 (07/16/2015) Discover TU Fico - 833 (09/03/2016) EX Fico - 839 ( 09/01/2016 ) ******* Amex - BCP 11.5K * Discover - IT 43.5 K * U.S. Bank Cash + Visa Signature 15.3 K * PenFed - Cash Rewards 15K *PenFed Power Cash 19K ** Amex - GDSM 10K ******FICO 800 Club Member ******* EQ 830 *** TU 833 *** EX 839 ***
****** Last HP & New TL was March 6th 2014 *** GOAL: No HP's or New TL's for 2 + years and 840's Scores ******
Message 7 of 12
JediNeo
Frequent Contributor

Having it match your ID would help in preventing fraudulent use of the card. Provided the seller checks it. That's a whole different topic.
NFCU Cash Rewards | CSP | Freedom Unlimited | WalMart MC | Target Red MC | Citi Costco | AMEX BCE
Message 8 of 12
xerostatus
Regular Contributor

I have a unique but similar situation -- 

When I obtained my certificate of citizenship, I was allowed to have two names, in the way of:

First Middle Last AKA OtherFirst Last

(like, "John Jane Doe AKA James Doe")

I am technically/legally allowed to use either name, as they are both my legal names.

For simplicity, I generally use my original legal name, but I do go by the 2nd name on a day-to-day basis.

So my DL and pretty much everything else is under my original name, and doesnt show my 2nd, "aka name".

I was, however, able to open a bank account in my aka name (i had to cash a large check which was addressed to the aka name) with no problem.

I just showed them my certificate of citizenship to prove that it is in fact still a "legal" name, despite it not showing on my DL.

So all in all, as long as you have supporting documentation, I dont think it should be too far of stretch to use your middle name.

I imagine DL should show your full name, including the middle name, so the situation should be simpler than my case.

Message 9 of 12
sr383
Regular Contributor

I've been dealing with this my whole life. My parents called me by my middle name since birth and can't even explain why they chose the first name they gave me but never used. (I wonder if H. Ross Perot goes through this.)

Amex uses my middle name, but no one else does. I think it's time to legally change it. ...

Costco TrueEarningsSallie Mae MasterCardDiscover itUS Bank Cash+Chase SlateBlue Cash EverydayFidelity VisaTU-803/EQ-808/EX-800
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.