Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Must be a record!!

tag
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

Re: Must be a record!!

Still trying to get mine off the floor. SL of 1400 and now 13 months with no CLI. In fact Citibank just done a SP approval for the same limit that this Discover card is sitting at and it's far younger. And i also poured enough of spend thru it with the variety of payments methods we all do with no success.

Yes DISCOVER is faltered ultterly to keep pace.

Message 11 of 39
yudeology101
Senior Contributor

@SpecFile wrote:

@bz386 wrote:

Try this: go online. Go to the "Request CLI" page. When it asks you why you are requesting a CLI, select "Balance Transfer". Enter all the other data it asks for (income, etc.). Submit.

My Discover was originally approved with a ridiculous $750 CL. I sockdrawered the thing immediately, as it was a pain to use with such a low CL. I didn't want to waste a HP on a CLI, so I tried multiple times to request a CLI and every time it told me it will do a HP. One day, after first putting in "Travel" as the reason, I selected "Balance Transfer". Boom - $5000 CLI ($750 -> $5750) immediately approved.

Discover is just weird. The card still occupies my sock drawer.

Great idea if only I could get that far.

This is the response I get when hitting the button: "We're Sorry. Your credit limit increase request cannot be processed at this time. For assistance, please call 1-800-DISCOVER (1-800-347-2683)."

I've never seen anything other than this message!

Same here. 

I think they got mad after harrassing them for those $5 starbucks card (i called/ chat w/ different agents like 10times). 

JPM Ritz Carlton $8k I UMP Club $8k I CSP $8k | Chase Hyatt $5k I AMEX Green NPSL I AMEX Delta $2k I Citi AA $2k | C1 QS $4.5k
BOA UNC-CH Alumni $6k I Hawaiian WEMC $3k I Arrival $6.5k I IT $1.5k | Merrill+ $2k | Lowes $12k | Apple $2k | +23more
Scores: EQ:671 (FICO 11) EX:686 (FICO N/C) TU:686 (FICO N/C) *8-5-14*
Overall UTIL: 14% *Gardening Since: 1/20/16*
------------------------------------------------------------
Need to stay out of trouble.... Go Heels!!! ... GC Watchlist ( #1 since 12-12-13)
Message 12 of 39
One7
Valued Contributor

Still waiting on mine as well. I still don't have the option to do it online

EX 810 EQ 805 TU 792 Diners WEMC 15k Chase United Club VS 15k | Hyatt VS 25k | Ritz VI 5k | Frdm VS 6k | CSP VS 5k | Mariott VS 6k | Amzn VS 16k Citi ExecAA WEMC 18k | TYP VS 7k | Costco VS 9k | Hilton Reserve VS 6k | Best Buy Visa 5k BofA Travel VS 30k | Cash VS 41k | Merrill+ VS 46k Barclay Rwds WMC 6k | Hawaiin WEMC 10k | JetBlue WEMC 8k | Aviator S WEMC 6k Amex Plat: NPSL | BCP 8k | SPG 3k WF Rwds VS 9k | Propel World Amex 25k | Dillards Amex 2k BBVA NBA Amex 10k Cap1 GM WEMC 8k | QS Visa 3k | Saks WEMC 9k NASA 30k Discover It 7k | US Bank Cash+ VS 15k | Flex Perks VS 20k ||| Total Rwds VS 12k | SG Rwds 11k | Walmrt MC 8k | Lowes 17k | Bowflex 9k | J Deere 15k | TJ Max 4k | Care 15k | HDepot 20k | Amzn 5k | PPal Extras 8k | Chvron 10k | Macys 15k | JCrew 18k | Marvel 8k | Stash VS 8k | Cabelas 10k | Statefarm 12k | Nordstrom Visa 10k \\\\Gardening since January////
Message 13 of 39
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

I had the Discover card for over 2-4 years with no CLI so I'm sure there are others without CLIs for an extended period of time as well... lol of course once you do get CLI then it can grow quite quickly.. from 1.5k to 12k in no time at all.. just be patient! It will happen! Smiley Wink
Message 14 of 39
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@SpecFile wrote:
18 months with Discover and no CLI. Have called twice in 18 months for a soft pull CLI and nothing!! Have tried carrying a balance and nothing seems to work.

With any creditor it's not just a matter of usage, balance or time.  Has your credit improved to justify the CLI?

Message 15 of 39
colinstu
Regular Contributor

Started with $500 CL. Have always gotten that "we're sorry" message. Have tried multiple times since card opening (12, 18mo) calling that number, HPs and all declined. 

Sock drawered it after that. Every month though I'd still press that CLI button (and still getting the sorry message). 

One time however I logged it and it was increased to $1300! finally an $800 auto cli! 

The card has been outpaced by my other cards in terms of CL and rewards. It's really only useful in Q1 for restaurants, and Q4 for online shopping for me. 

If I were you OP, don't waste any HPs on Discover. They seem really stingy with some, and just love giving CL to others, you and I seem to be in the stingy-discover boat. 

FICOs: TU 775 | EQ 784 | EX 773
Amex BCE $15,000 | Discover IT $11,600 | Chase Freedom $7,000 (Visa Sig) | Citi DoubleCash $6,000 (WEMC) | Chase AARP $6,000 | Barclaycard CashForward $4,000 | Barclaycard Rewards $2,000 | Capital One Quicksilver $1,750
Message 16 of 39
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@colinstu wrote:

Started with $500 CL. Have always gotten that "we're sorry" message. Have tried multiple times since card opening (12, 18mo) calling that number, HPs and all declined. 

Sock drawered it after that. Every month though I'd still press that CLI button (and still getting the sorry message). 

One time however I logged it and it was increased to $1300! finally an $800 auto cli! 

The card has been outpaced by my other cards in terms of CL and rewards. It's really only useful in Q1 for restaurants, and Q4 for online shopping for me. 

If I were you OP, don't waste any HPs on Discover. They seem really stingy with some, and just love giving CL to others, you and I seem to be in the stingy-discover boat. 

I started at $750 last year and had to ask for both CLI's that i wanted. $250 to bring it up to $1,000 and then asked for $2,000 and got $500 in June Smiley Sad Card has been SD and put on like a $0.50 amazon gift card every month so i can get my FICO score lol

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 17 of 39
colinstu
Regular Contributor

Do you need to put activity on your card to get the free score? Last time I used it was 7/4, and paid it on 7/18. My last score was from 8/28.

FICOs: TU 775 | EQ 784 | EX 773
Amex BCE $15,000 | Discover IT $11,600 | Chase Freedom $7,000 (Visa Sig) | Citi DoubleCash $6,000 (WEMC) | Chase AARP $6,000 | Barclaycard CashForward $4,000 | Barclaycard Rewards $2,000 | Capital One Quicksilver $1,750
Message 18 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

@colinstu wrote:

Do you need to put activity on your card to get the free score? Last time I used it was 7/4, and paid it on 7/18. My last score was from 8/28.

Yeah, there are reports that if the account has no activity in a given month, no FICO update occurs.

Message 19 of 39
yfan
Valued Contributor

@SpecFile wrote:
18 months with Discover and no CLI. Have called twice in 18 months for a soft pull CLI and nothing!! Have tried carrying a balance and nothing seems to work. Barclay Arrival = $ 6,500 Capital One = $ 5,000 and Discover IT = $1,500

Giving you higher credit limit than existing cards is a tactic issuers use to draw you away from cards you had been used to. Existing cards have less incentive to CLI though, because they were already your default card. I assume your Discover card is older than your Arrival? When I  got my Discover card in July, my highest limit was my Amex TE at $5K, below that the highest limit was $1700 (Citi Dividend). I hadn't been using the love buttons back then because I hadn't arrived here yet. Since then though, I now have my Amex at $10K, Citi also went up (SP), and my BofA Cash Rewards doubled from $2500 to $5000 (HP). Since July, I have nearly tripled my available credit.

Anyway, Discover gave me a CL of $8500 straight away, $3500 above my highest limit at the time! Why would they do that? Because they wanted to steer my business away from others. It worked. Given all the benefits, ShopDiscover and the CL, Discover is now my go-to card when I can't use my Amex. I am also referring others to Discover. What Discover did by giving me a high limit was win my gratitude and personal advertisement.

Discover isn't the only card to do this. Others will too. The market for Rewards cards is competitive. But it usually means that your earlier cards won't grow with you as fast. Citi, which gave me a chance to rebuild starting in 2011 is now one of my least used cards (okay, 2 of my least used cards), although we'll see about the Dividend's holiday shopping bonuses. Cap One would be too, but they PC'ed me to the QS, and I find it especially useful while traveling abroad.

So I guess my advice is, don't sweat it. You have other good cards. Use what is best for you and let the chips fall where they may.

Message 20 of 39
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.