Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Must have or Great cards to have?

tag
lmashimaru
Valued Member

Must have or Great cards to have?

Hi!

I'm planning to do an app-spree potentially in the future, but i just wanted to do some research before hand. What cards are must-haves or great cards to add to a wallet? Even if it's hard to get please i would like to hear everyones opinions (please exclude huge annual fee cards i.e. $450 per year). 

Right now I think one of my must have's are the CSP, and Freedom combo. Also i think i want to add an AMEX as well but not sure which one. Barclays Arrival Plus seems like a great card as well. 

So Please! i would love to hear what everyones must-haves or great cards are!

Thank You!

Experian - 749 Equifax - 765 Transunion - 756 [ FAKO EnhancedITP Pulled 06/07/2014 ]
Cards:
Chase [Sapphire Preferred - $5000] :: [Freedom - $ 2000] :: [Slate - $500] :: [Amazon Visa - $1000]
Barclays [Arrival + - $900]
In the Garden for a long time now that I've gotten the cards i want.
Message 1 of 56
55 REPLIES 55
youdontkillmoney
Valued Contributor

Re: Must have or Great cards to have?

Get yourself an Amex gold, Chase Sapphire Preferred, Chase Freedom, Cap One quicksilver--all these have good rewards/cash back

Message 2 of 56
CarnegieS
Regular Contributor

JCB if you live in a location where it is offered. Fiedlity Amex (2% general spend), US Bank Cash + (Phone and resturants 5%), Salle Mae, Better Balance Rewards, Discover. Those are the ones that I have/hope to have one day. I currently do not spend enough to really justify anunal fees so not including any of those. 

Amex Delta Gold: $5400| BofA Better Balance: $1500 | Sallie Mae: $1300 | Discover It: $500
719 TU, 685 EQ, 728 Ex.
Entered the garden : 5/8/14
Message 3 of 56
NikoD
Regular Contributor

I'm only interested in cash, not points, so my top picks are: US Bank Cash+, Sallie Mae & Fidelity Amex. Also, JCB Marukai if you live  in one of the states where you can get it.

Edit: CarnegieS beat me to the punch! All great cash back cards.

Message 4 of 56
jllunas
Contributor

Bank of America cash rewards is preatty good, I also have the discover it card to 

Transunion 698
Equifax 713
Experian 700
Goal Score 750
HWLBA
Message 5 of 56
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Fidelity American Express by Bank of America for 2% no limit no rotating!!! #1

Message 6 of 56
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

And Amex Blue Cash if you really want cash...

Message 7 of 56
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

http://frequentmiler.boardingarea.com/2012/11/09/best-category-bonuses/comment-page-3/#comment-39437...

You mentioned a card combo that is for people that frequently take plane trips, and who have done the research to see if the points will be redeemable at a good rate for the airlines they need to use. I hope you made that calculation, and didn't just hear that its a popular combo and figure you needed it. You need to match the rewards to what you can use. Otherwise, just stick to cash back cards.

Nothing wrong with a few good cash back cards. I suggest 5% cash back cards. Preferrably in Blue...

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 8 of 56
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Sorry but Barclaycard Arrival turns into a lemon once the AF kicks in.  It's got a great sign up bonus, but keeping it longer than 1 year is not wise unless you're pumping a LOT of money through it. 

Here's my votes though:

1)  Barclays Sallie Mae (5% back on gas/groceries capped at $250/mo)

2)  CSP/Freedom is a good combo

3)  Huntington Voice (if eligible) 3% back on utilities

4)  US Bank Cash+ (5% back on gym memberships)

5)  BoA Better Balance Rewards if you plan to let a balance post - automatic $25 back per quarter

6)  Fidelity Amex for 2% on non-category purchases

7)  GE/Synchrony Ebates (unlike shopDiscover I don't get cheated out of my rewards and purchases made through Ebates are in addition to the cards 3%)

Message 9 of 56
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@lmashimaru wrote:

Hi!

I'm planning to do an app-spree potentially in the future, but i just wanted to do some research before hand. What cards are must-haves or great cards to add to a wallet? Even if it's hard to get please i would like to hear everyones opinions (please exclude huge annual fee cards i.e. $450 per year). 

Right now I think one of my must have's are the CSP, and Freedom combo. Also i think i want to add an AMEX as well but not sure which one. Barclays Arrival Plus seems like a great card as well. 

So Please! i would love to hear what everyones must-haves or great cards are!

Thank You!

I would pick your amex wisely since you get only one signup bonus per life time !!

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 10 of 56
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.