Must have or Great cards to have?

tag
Fico2Go
Established Contributor

Re: Must have or Great cards to have?

@mongstradamus wrote:

@lmashimaru wrote:

Hi!

I'm planning to do an app-spree potentially in the future, but i just wanted to do some research before hand. What cards are must-haves or great cards to add to a wallet? Even if it's hard to get please i would like to hear everyones opinions (please exclude huge annual fee cards i.e. $450 per year). 

Right now I think one of my must have's are the CSP, and Freedom combo. Also i think i want to add an AMEX as well but not sure which one. Barclays Arrival Plus seems like a great card as well. 

So Please! i would love to hear what everyones must-haves or great cards are!

Thank You!

I would pick your amex wisely since you get only one signup bonus per life time !!

Are you sure?  I was approved for the PRG and BCP on the same day and was able to earn sign up bonuses for both.  

For me must have and great cards mean two very different things.

Must have one VISA/Mastercard with a decent CL. 

Great cards are those lilke AMex Blue Cash with 5% cashback on grocery, gas, drugs. 

Nice to have card is like Discover IT for added UTIL

Discover IT $19,000 == 12/2013
AMEX 12/2013 ---BCP $12,000 === BC $23,000 ----- 04/2014
CHASE SLATE $5,700 === 12/2013
BoA 123 $6000 === 12/2013
Barclay Rewards $1500 == 12/2013
Message 11 of 56
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Does ebayed pay out 3% on amazon and amazon fresh purchases or only if it qualifies for some ebayed rebate does it earn 3%?
Message 12 of 56
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Ebates
Message 13 of 56
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

As long as you use the Ebates card for the purchase its 3% in addition to whatever promotion is offered through the Ebates portal. It changes very regulary but I only average 2% on Amazon purchases through the portal + 3% for using the card. If you dont utilize the Ebates app its just a flat 1% card.
Message 14 of 56
bigblue7722
Valued Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

@lmashimaru wrote:

Hi!

I'm planning to do an app-spree potentially in the future, but i just wanted to do some research before hand. What cards are must-haves or great cards to add to a wallet? Even if it's hard to get please i would like to hear everyones opinions (please exclude huge annual fee cards i.e. $450 per year). 

Right now I think one of my must have's are the CSP, and Freedom combo. Also i think i want to add an AMEX as well but not sure which one. Barclays Arrival Plus seems like a great card as well. 

Thank You!

I would pick your amex wisely since you get only one signup bonus per life time !!

They just changed that right? 

AMEX PRG NPSL,Lowes $17000,Capital One venture card $12,000,Us Airways mastercard $9500,Fidelity Amex $9000, Discover it $8000, Capital One Venture One $7500, BOA 123 rewards $7500 CSP $6000, Capital One Quicksliver $5500, Amazon Store card$5000,Barclay
Card Ring $5000 Chase Marriott $5000,Chase Hyatt $5000, Sallie Mae Mastercard $4400, Paypal smart connect $4000,Chase Freedom $3200, Capital one Quicksliver visa $3000, Chase IHG Rewards $2300, Chase Southwest Premier $2000, Citi Double Cash $1500, AMEX BCE $1000

Last app July 22nd 2015- No apps for two years.
Message 15 of 56
bigblue7722
Valued Contributor

If I had to pick 5 cards I would go with

1. chase freedom- 5% no AF, great cashback website

2. CSP-its metal and even though i dont travel much its nice to now I have everything i need if I do

3. Discover it-5% no AF, free fico

4. Sallie mae-5% gas/supermarket/amazon

5. Capital one QS-Id take this card over FID amex beacuse its accpeted at more places, no hassle of having to open up an account and take cash out at certain levels. thats worth it to me to lose the 1/2%.

AMEX PRG NPSL,Lowes $17000,Capital One venture card $12,000,Us Airways mastercard $9500,Fidelity Amex $9000, Discover it $8000, Capital One Venture One $7500, BOA 123 rewards $7500 CSP $6000, Capital One Quicksliver $5500, Amazon Store card$5000,Barclay
Card Ring $5000 Chase Marriott $5000,Chase Hyatt $5000, Sallie Mae Mastercard $4400, Paypal smart connect $4000,Chase Freedom $3200, Capital one Quicksliver visa $3000, Chase IHG Rewards $2300, Chase Southwest Premier $2000, Citi Double Cash $1500, AMEX BCE $1000

Last app July 22nd 2015- No apps for two years.
Message 16 of 56
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@bigblue7722 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@lmashimaru wrote:

Hi!

Thank You!

It has been fairly recent the change , i am not sure if you get one signup bonus for charge card and one for revolver , or if its one signup bonus  for any card. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 17 of 56
StriveToProsper
Regular Contributor

I'd aim for (in order): CSP, Freedom, BoA Better Balance Rewards card (shocked that not many others mentioned this card), and AMEX Everyday.
Message 18 of 56
b1gr3dmachin3
Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

@bigblue7722 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@lmashimaru wrote:

Hi!

Thank You!

It has been fairly recent the change , i am not sure if you get one signup bonus for charge card and one for revolver , or if its one signup bonus  for any card. 

I haven't heard of this policy change, does this apply if you already have an Amex card?

BoA 123 $2.5k (11/12) // Discover It $3.9k (7/13) // Citi Forward Student $3.8k (7/13) // Chase Freedom 5k (12/13) // Amex Blue Cash 6k (1/15)

Starting Score: No Credit History (11/12)
Current Score: MyFico 761
Goal Score: 800+

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 19 of 56
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@b1gr3dmachin3 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@bigblue7722 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@lmashimaru wrote:

Hi!

Thank You!

I haven't heard of this policy change, does this apply if you already have an Amex card?

When i was looking at PRG and SPG , i would get an message you are an current amex card holder. Also i wouldn't see any signup bonuses. I guess you could try apping in incognito mode to see if you can get bonus, but i don't know if that works 100% of the time.

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 20 of 56
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.