cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Must let balance report to keep card active?

tag
GM_Mike

Must let balance report to keep card active?

Have been searching like crazy to try to find an answer to this...

Conventional wisdom is to make sure to use every card periodically, so it is not closed for inactivity.

In practice, do I need to let the card actually report a balance, or could I charge something then pay it off before the statement closes?

I have a few old cards I rarely use that I'd like to keep active (from the issuers' standpoint) but really don't want another balance to report.

Interested in what the reality is, especially with CapOne, Citi, and Chase.  Thanks

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Croselx
Contributor

Re: Must let balance report to keep card active?

I would think that as long as you swipe the card every now and then it would qualify as activity even if you PIF before statement cuts.

As of Feb: AAoA 1 year, 10 months
CK TU: 740; Wal-Mart TU FICO: 721
CS EX: 715
8 CCs, 15 total accounts.
Negs on report: 1 30 day late aged 3 years
5 inquiries
Message 2 of 9
Quips
Regular Contributor

+1 

FICO: EQ 769, TU 762 , EX ???

Message 3 of 9
GM_Mike

@Croselx wrote:

I would think that as long as you swipe the card every now and then it would qualify as activity even if you PIF before statement cuts.

That's what common sense would tell me, too, but I've learned common sense doesn't always apply with credit card companies...

Thanks for the feedback so far.  Hopefully some folks have additional experience to contribute as well.

Message 4 of 9
tattooedhusker
Established Contributor

I've always made periodic purchases and PIF before the statement cuts, and have never had a card close on me. Take it for what it's worth, I'm not promising anything though.

NFCU CashRewards $13.5k | AMEX BCE $15k | Lowes $17k | Sportsmanss guide $7.6k | Chase Freedom $1k | Discover IT $4.4k |
Walmart $8k | Gordman's $2950
Message 5 of 9
distantarray
Established Contributor

if you want to see a Fico Bungee charge lunch on all your cards and see how fast your score drops Smiley Very Happy and see how it rebounds the next month lol doesn't really hurt anyways. I like seeing a rollercoaster scores lol

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 6 of 9
Cleanmachine
Frequent Contributor

About a year ago I had two Chase cards that I would use for purchases and pay prior to closing date.

I did this for quite a long period of time always showing -0-Balance.

Guess Chase felt they were not getting enough money from me an closed the account.

The sad part, they failed to notify me that they closed the account. Slightly embarrassed at check out.

However, I had other cards to use.

Contacted Service Representative to fine out why and all they could/would tell me that a letter will be sent.

Still waiting for that letter.

If I am not mistaken, If you allow your credit card to continue to post -0- after a period of time FICO no

longer uses these accounts for scoring purposes. Not positive about that or the time frame.

Maybe someone who keeps track of their score will respond.

Message 7 of 9
armbenderc
Valued Contributor

@Cleanmachine wrote:

About a year ago I had two Chase cards that I would use for purchases and pay prior to closing date.

I did this for quite a long period of time always showing -0-Balance.

Guess Chase felt they were not getting enough money from me an closed the account.

The sad part, they failed to notify me that they closed the account. Slightly embarrassed at check out.

However, I had other cards to use.

Contacted Service Representative to fine out why and all they could/would tell me that a letter will be sent.

Still waiting for that letter.

If I am not mistaken, If you allow your credit card to continue to post -0- after a period of time FICO no

longer uses these accounts for scoring purposes. Not positive about that or the time frame.

Maybe someone who keeps track of their score will respond.

I didn't know that. Maybe someone can confirm this?

As for your Chase, it seems fishy and unprofessional to me. My chase freedom, report 0 everytime, ran about 400-500 a month, then PIF before statement cut. I'm racking up points... If they close the account, I would move my banking and take my business elsewhere.

2013 Approvals: Discover IT - 3/1, Amex BCE - 3/4, CSP - 5/4, Barclay Ring - 6/12, BoA Privileges Cash - 6/27, Citi TY Preferred - 8/6, OCCU Duck - 11/4, USBank (Cash+) - 11/22, Wells Fargo - 12/21, Nordstrom - 12/29

12/19/2013, $100k+ Available Credit. Total Util: 0-1%
Message 8 of 9
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@armbenderc wrote:

@Cleanmachine wrote:

I didn't know that. Maybe someone can confirm this?

It's true to a point. FICO will ignore certain aspect of a TL if it hadn't reported for a while. Most all CCs report monthly regardless of use, but over extended periods of time some will stop updating and it is that lack of an update where FICO will ignore aspects like the balance and CL. It's always good to be in the practice of using each card at least once every 3-4 months just to keep some activity on it and to keep the creditor from closing it due to non-use.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.