Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My 1,000th post is to talk about fraud

tag
stengiz
Regular Contributor

Re: My 1,000th post is to talk about fraud

I run a diner, one time a customer called back to say there was difference in what she charged and what was on her statement. i told her to give me sometime and i would call her back. i dug up the receipt and called her. I told her there was a tip on the card, she said she never leaves tip on the card always leaves cash for the server.I apologized and told her i would give her the difference in cash or if she could choose to dispute the difference. She said she would take cash. But i took a note of the server's name and started watching her closely. Soon enough she did it again and I fired her. The story about manager telling you these people did this before, you would think they will make a note of that address and not deliver there again. so i find that hard to believe.

last app July 13 2016
Message 21 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message 22 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@stengiz wrote:

I run a diner, one time a customer called back to say there was difference in what she charged and what was on her statement. i told her to give me sometime and i would call her back. i dug up the receipt and called her. I told her there was a tip on the card, she said she never leaves tip on the card always leaves cash for the server.I apologized and told her i would give her the difference in cash or if she could choose to dispute the difference. She said she would take cash. But i took a note of the server's name and started watching her closely. Soon enough she did it again and I fired her. The story about manager telling you these people did this before, you would think they will make a note of that address and not deliver there again. so i find that hard to believe.

The most concerning part is that I looked up the address the manager gave me with the local PVA and that address does not exist. The road is there but that particular number is not assigned to a property. So he says those people have done the same thing before, but why is his store delivering to an address that does not exist?

Message 23 of 27
red259
Super Contributor

It seems pretty clear to me that the pizza place is in on it. I mean come on you give that place your credit card and then later on there is a fradulent charge at that same business?? The whole they have had that done before thing is weird. Those pizzas are being delivered somewhere or maybe they are just claiming it was an order and pocketing the money hoping you will not notice a charge under $100. You might want to indicate this to your ccc so they can look for a pattern at that particular business. Otherwise they could keep doing it to other people. If its not them then the lender wont see a pattern most likely. Im stillbpissed when i was out of the country someone did a over 2k charge on my card. Im convinced it was the waiter at a tgif in philly. The guy was sketchy and only person who ever had physical access to thst credit card. The charge was made to a pool supply store in PA outside philly. What are the chances when i font even live in the state? I had another fraud charge on a brand new card but the lender caught it and that was in CA. A lot of gangs are getting into the forged credit card game. They make up dummy credit cards with their names on the front but the strip on the backbis linked to the victims account. Hopefully they will some of these guys to prison and send a message.
;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 24 of 27
Callandra
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
I'm glad you called though. Like I said before, I work in a financial institution and we always encourage our customers to try to contact the place first and then file a dispute.

Especially because the manager was able to shed some light on the fact that these people have done it before and will now be filing a police report. Aside from the fact you will definitely get your money back, either from the pizza place or from Discover, it is good that it was able to get straightened out somewhat!

Not sure where you work but that is absolutely not necessary to dispute a credit card charge.  You have zero liability and zero obligation to try to get the charges reversed if you didn't make them.  Most of the time credit card companies could care less who actually made the charges as its a write off for them. I can also assure you that the police almost never investigate credit card fraud.  CC fraud happens thousands of times per day and neither CC companies nor the police have the resources to investigate them.  Using the dispute process is by far the optimal avenue to use when you have fraud on your card.  While it may be disconcerting to have it occur you have to expect it to happen if you use credit cards but in the end it's not a huge deal as you have the protection of zero liability.  It's a pain to have cards cancelled etc but far better than alternatives 

If I had a CC from a 'financial institution' that told me to try to get charges reversed etc I would tell them to pound sand and if they refused to cover the charges then I would cancel the card and contact the CFPB

I wonder if LT13 means in the case that it's a merchant you did business with. Not the charge-from-foreign-country-you've-never-been-to-and-there's-no-way-you-made-it sort of thing. Kind of like, a mechanic charges you $500 for repair work to your car but you are not happy with it. In that case, it makes more sense to speak to the mechanic and try to work something out and then dispute if all else fails. 

The credit card companies don't lose anything in disputes. The merchant is the one who always loses, not only the money but there's a chargeback fee too. My last job used the losses as a tax write-off but I'm sure it still comes out to something of a loss. 

Quicksilver $10,000 | Better Balance Rewards $2000 | Sallie Mae $3500 | Freedom $3500

Last HP: 9/27/2015
Message 25 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have not heard back from the owner of the pizza place as promised. The charge posted today so I disputed with Discover. It did ask me if I had been in contact with the pizza place and allowed me to type in details of my communication with them.

Message 26 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, Callandra - or along the lines of: I have XYZ TV service, I cancelled their services 3 months ago but I just got billed again and I don't have the service anymore. Things like that.

Just to see if they can refund first. If not, we are more than happy to fill out the paperwork and send to our fraud/dispute department.
Message 27 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.