Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My 10 month credit journey

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

My 10 month credit journey

So I just got my first secured in November for $200 (merrick bank) only thing I use that for is netflix every month, and after that about a month later I applied for a Capital One platinum card and got approved for my first unsecured $300 card Smiley Happy

Then about 2 months later I signed up for Fingerhut and got approved for $400.

After a month or so I let those cards sit and I got an increase on my fingerhut to $700.

6 months later I got an increase on my Cap one to $2300.

I was feeling good about the high limit so I figured I'd apply for Amex even though I only had 7 months of history Smiley Sad but they approved me for 1K and 60 days later increased me to $3K. So the Amex Everyday card is now in my wallet too Smiley Happy

Then I got a $300 target Red card a few weeks ago.

And now my final credit item is the biggest one I was approved for yet.

A $3600 care credit card. Which is perfect because I've been delaying the dentist for a while and this will make the huge dental fees a bit more manageable. I'm surprised I was approved with only 9-10 months of history. I guess all the different types of credit and revolving credit helped. I'm only 21 and just got my first secured card 10 months ago so I think I'm making good progress.

I think the last card I'm going to get is a Silver State Credit Union card to build a good relationship with them for whenever I want to get a motorcycle loan or auto loan in the future.

Any thoughts on a good credit union to join?

Thank you for the help everyone!
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
CJIII29
Regular Contributor

Re: My 10 month credit journey

Congrats! I would try one of your local credit unions in your area.

Chase Slate Credit Card $1500 credit limit Best Buy Credit
Card $2000 credit limit Amazon Store Card $2100 credit limit .

My Fico scores: Experian 710, Equifax, 702, Transunion 716.
Message 2 of 7
heyarrnold
Valued Contributor

Congrats on your approvals, but do not go credit crazy! The initial rush of getting approved over and over again is great. But make sure that what you're applying for has a purpose; that the reward structure of the credit card benefits you in some way. Utilize your new cards wisely, and maintain your accounts in good standing. Again, congrats!

Message 3 of 7
noobody
Established Contributor

good job op!
I think new to credit should follow your step.
secure card, cap1,couple store card, AMEX Discover at 6 month mark, chase at one year(because the 5/24 rule, only cobrand for now)
EX819 1HP|TU797 1HP| EQ(Fico8 BankCard)841
Message 4 of 7
ddemari
Super Contributor

OP- awesome work. Patience and time is the hardest thing to learn/ I still deal with it. But, it definitely pays off. Congrats! 

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks! So true
Message 6 of 7
jeffm4688
Frequent Contributor

I would recommend penfed, as I know one good buddy of mine who got approved for a $2500 card recently only having credit for ~11 months but I don't know how many accounts will trigger the dreaded pyrmaiding debt response. (penfed denied my other friend, you'll see profile in a second) - Ironically both of these 2 both started with Cap1 on the same day is september due to my guidance and have gone to receive very similar cards but in different orders.

Congrats on everything, A good friend of mine has a very similar profile : 

First card :

Sept 2014 $300 cap1 -> $2300

feburary -> $600 tj max, $2000 paypal, $750 VS

3 weeks ago, Chase Freedom $2.2K, $1k amex, $2k discover, $2K bestbuy MC, $500 cap1 again

I'm waiting ~60 days before telling her to ask for a 3X CLI on the amex BCE, this gives me some hope! she's gardening for a good ~8-10 months hoping for some SP CLI's and then off to ask penfed for an auto loan.

FICO 12/2015 - EX 692 TU 685

FICO 10/2021 - EX 596 TU 605 EQ 600 - officially rebuilding.

What survived:
Amex HH - 1.5K | Amex Delta - 1K | Amex Bonvoy - 1.5K | Amex BRG - 3.5K | Amex BRG - 3.5K | Amex Business Cash- 2K | Amex Business Plus - 2K
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.