Reply
Established Contributor
LesWH
Posts: 608
Registered: ‎10-11-2012
0

Re: My AMEX Platinum arrived today!


jsucool76 wrote:
Plat also has EMV if you request it. :-)

Congrats!

I requested it and I will have it after I get back from this trip!  Thanks for the heads up!!


NFCU Signature Visa Cash Rewards, NavChek, Citi AA AMEX, Cap1 Cash Rewards, Discover IT, Home Depot, Sears, Walmart, Chase Freedom, AMEX Green, Lowe's, AMEX BCE, Chase Sapphire Preferred, AMEX Hilton Honors Surpass, PayPal Extras MC, PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards, AMEX Platinum

GC Challenge: App Free since 1/8/13. No more apps til 2014






New Contributor
Aspireto850
Posts: 109
Registered: ‎08-12-2012
0

Re: My AMEX Platinum arrived today!

Congrats.

 

what is EMV? I just got my Amex plat today as well......YAY!,,,,

 

i need to ask for the 100,000 MR pts


Current: 12/6/12 708 Exp Fico
Goal Score: 740then Garden
Valued Contributor
jsucool76
Posts: 2,827
Registered: ‎12-11-2011
0

Re: My AMEX Platinum arrived today!

EMV is europay mastercard visa. Its the little chip a lot of travel cards have (not the same as nfc)
Wallet: Capital One Quicksilver 3500CL, Wells Fargo Cash Back College Visa: 900CL, Paypal Smart Connect: 3000CL, Walmart Discover: 3500CL, UPromise Mastercard: 1000CL, Chase Slate: 500CL, Discover IT: 2000CL, Citi Forward: 2600CL, Bank Of America Student Travel Rewards: 2700CL, Amex PRG
Moderator Emeritus
webhopper
Posts: 7,230
Registered: ‎09-16-2011
0

Re: My AMEX Platinum arrived today!

Wow that is an awesome sign up bonus. After flying to Europe in economy class; it would be worth it to upgrade to business or first class for the extra room; less pain; and companion pass. Plus; I just got back from Sweden and Denmark... I was in Copenhagen; gotenburg; and Stockholm. Amex was widely accepted. Visa and mastercard were weird... if a restaurant took 1 then they didn't take the other. Discover wouldn't process on the one merchant that listed China's unionpay. And I didn't try it at another place that listed diners club.

I was able to use magnetic strip and signature. Chip and PIN is what most merchants use; but we carried the equivalent of 200 USD currency with us.

Starting Score: 08/29/2011 TU 671 EQ 674
Current Score: TU 754 EQ 694 EX 697
Wallet: NFCU Visa Sig 25k, Amex Lowes 22k, NavCheck 15k, Amex PRG, Amex Zync, Discover It 13.5k, Amazon Visa 5k
Platinum Spade Garden Club Member: App Free since 1/1/13. No more apps til who knows when?
MyFICO Fitness Goal: 800s Club!



Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Established Contributor
LesWH
Posts: 608
Registered: ‎10-11-2012
0

Re: My AMEX Platinum arrived today!

[ Edited ]

webhopper wrote:
Wow that is an awesome sign up bonus. After flying to Europe in economy class; it would be worth it to upgrade to business or first class for the extra room; less pain; and companion pass. Plus; I just got back from Sweden and Denmark... I was in Copenhagen; gotenburg; and Stockholm. Amex was widely accepted. Visa and mastercard were weird... if a restaurant took 1 then they didn't take the other. Discover wouldn't process on the one merchant that listed China's unionpay. And I didn't try it at another place that listed diners club.

I was able to use magnetic strip and signature. Chip and PIN is what most merchants use; but we carried the equivalent of 200 USD currency with us.

It pulled me out of the garden!!  100,000 MR points!!!! That offer didn't last long at all.  I almost didn't take it.  I'm glad I did, though!  Also, AMEX is sending me a new Platinum card with the Chip.


NFCU Signature Visa Cash Rewards, NavChek, Citi AA AMEX, Cap1 Cash Rewards, Discover IT, Home Depot, Sears, Walmart, Chase Freedom, AMEX Green, Lowe's, AMEX BCE, Chase Sapphire Preferred, AMEX Hilton Honors Surpass, PayPal Extras MC, PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards, AMEX Platinum

GC Challenge: App Free since 1/8/13. No more apps til 2014






Regular Contributor
sonson
Posts: 241
Registered: ‎12-04-2009
0

Re: My AMEX Platinum arrived today!

congrats on the new card!!! 


Starting Score: EQ 548 [ Feb 2010 ]
Current Score: TU 663 EQ 686
Goal Score: 700


Take the FICO Fitness Challenge







Frequent Contributor
nyancat
Posts: 271
Registered: ‎12-21-2012
0

Re: My AMEX Platinum arrived today!

[ Edited ]

Curious is it an EMV card or is that still by-request-only?

 

Nevermind, in my reading the thread I missed that you'd already answered this. Sorry.

American Express Costco TrueEarnings - $8,300; American Express Blue Cash Everyday - $5,000; American Express Delta Gold - $7,300; Bank of America Travel Rewards - $5,000; Capital One Cash Rewards Visa - $7,500; Citi Forward - $5,800 and $4,500; Chase Sapphire Preferred - $7,500; Discover It - $3,000
Established Member
KS13
Posts: 53
Registered: ‎01-06-2013
0

Re: My AMEX Platinum arrived today!

[ Edited ]

Congrats! So 100,000 MR points equals $1000, correct?

 

also what score did AMEX pull for the Platinum, and what was your score if you don't kind me asking. 

Established Contributor
LesWH
Posts: 608
Registered: ‎10-11-2012
0

Re: My AMEX Platinum arrived today!


KS13 wrote:

Congrats! So 100,000 MR points equals $1000, correct?

 

also what score did AMEX pull for the Platinum, and what was your score if you don't kind me asking. 


I don't know exactly how much 100,000 MR points equate to.  Perhaps one of our resident rewards experts can chime in on that.  My Experian score was 728 according to PSECU.


NFCU Signature Visa Cash Rewards, NavChek, Citi AA AMEX, Cap1 Cash Rewards, Discover IT, Home Depot, Sears, Walmart, Chase Freedom, AMEX Green, Lowe's, AMEX BCE, Chase Sapphire Preferred, AMEX Hilton Honors Surpass, PayPal Extras MC, PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards, AMEX Platinum

GC Challenge: App Free since 1/8/13. No more apps til 2014






Established Contributor
scenery_guy
Posts: 953
Registered: ‎07-24-2012
0

Re: My AMEX Platinum arrived today!


LesWH wrote:

KS13 wrote:

Congrats! So 100,000 MR points equals $1000, correct?

 

also what score did AMEX pull for the Platinum, and what was your score if you don't kind me asking. 


I don't know exactly how much 100,000 MR points equate to.  Perhaps one of our resident rewards experts can chime in on that.  My Experian score was 728 according to PSECU.


I'm hardly an expert but for the most part they are worth $0.01 in most situations. You can get a little more value when transferring to FF programs and a little less when redeeming them for gift cards. Shop around and research before using them. 

BTW I'm jealous of that great offer. I upgraded last month to Platinum Business from Gold Business and got a measly 25,000. My total points for spend last year was 179,600 including the upgrade. Great score. 


myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+