Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My AMEX Platinum arrived today!

tag
LesWH
Established Contributor

Re: My AMEX Platinum arrived today!

@jsucool76 wrote:
Plat also has EMV if you request it. :-)

Congrats!

I requested it and I will have it after I get back from this trip!  Thanks for the heads up!!

NFCU Signature Visa Cash Rewards, NavChek, Citi AA AMEX, Cap1 Cash Rewards, Discover IT, Home Depot, Sears, Walmart, Chase Freedom, AMEX Green, Lowe's, AMEX BCE, Chase Sapphire Preferred, AMEX Hilton Honors Surpass, PayPal Extras MC, PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards, AMEX Platinum

GC Challenge: App Free since 1/8/13. No more apps til 2014

Message 11 of 33
Aspireto850
Established Contributor

Congrats.

what is EMV? I just got my Amex plat today as well......YAY!,,,,

i need to ask for the 100,000 MR pts

Message 12 of 33
jsucool76
Super Contributor

EMV is europay mastercard visa. Its the little chip a lot of travel cards have (not the same as nfc)
Message 13 of 33
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Wow that is an awesome sign up bonus. After flying to Europe in economy class; it would be worth it to upgrade to business or first class for the extra room; less pain; and companion pass. Plus; I just got back from Sweden and Denmark... I was in Copenhagen; gotenburg; and Stockholm. Amex was widely accepted. Visa and mastercard were weird... if a restaurant took 1 then they didn't take the other. Discover wouldn't process on the one merchant that listed China's unionpay. And I didn't try it at another place that listed diners club.

I was able to use magnetic strip and signature. Chip and PIN is what most merchants use; but we carried the equivalent of 200 USD currency with us.
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 14 of 33
LesWH
Established Contributor

@webhopper wrote:
Wow that is an awesome sign up bonus. After flying to Europe in economy class; it would be worth it to upgrade to business or first class for the extra room; less pain; and companion pass. Plus; I just got back from Sweden and Denmark... I was in Copenhagen; gotenburg; and Stockholm. Amex was widely accepted. Visa and mastercard were weird... if a restaurant took 1 then they didn't take the other. Discover wouldn't process on the one merchant that listed China's unionpay. And I didn't try it at another place that listed diners club.

I was able to use magnetic strip and signature. Chip and PIN is what most merchants use; but we carried the equivalent of 200 USD currency with us.

It pulled me out of the garden!!  100,000 MR points!!!! That offer didn't last long at all.  I almost didn't take it.  I'm glad I did, though!  Also, AMEX is sending me a new Platinum card with the Chip.

NFCU Signature Visa Cash Rewards, NavChek, Citi AA AMEX, Cap1 Cash Rewards, Discover IT, Home Depot, Sears, Walmart, Chase Freedom, AMEX Green, Lowe's, AMEX BCE, Chase Sapphire Preferred, AMEX Hilton Honors Surpass, PayPal Extras MC, PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards, AMEX Platinum

Message 15 of 33
sonson
Regular Contributor

congrats on the new card!!! 

Starting Score: EQ 548 [ Feb 2010 ]
Current Score: TU 663 EQ 686
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 16 of 33
nyancat
Established Contributor

Curious is it an EMV card or is that still by-request-only?

Nevermind, in my reading the thread I missed that you'd already answered this. Sorry.

American Express Blue Cash Everyday - $11,000; American Express Platinum Cashback Everyday - £3,000; American Express Rewards Credit Card - £7,500; Aqua Reward Mastercard - £3,500; Bank of America Travel Rewards - $5,000; Barclaycard Freedom Rewards - £3,500; Citi Forward - $5,800; Discover It - $10,000; Halifax Clarity - £1,500; HSBC Platinum with Rewards - $5,000, MBNA Everyday Plus - £3,500
Message 17 of 33
KS13
Established Member

Congrats! So 100,000 MR points equals $1000, correct?

also what score did AMEX pull for the Platinum, and what was your score if you don't kind me asking. 

Message 18 of 33
LesWH
Established Contributor

@KS13 wrote:

also what score did AMEX pull for the Platinum, and what was your score if you don't kind me asking. 

I don't know exactly how much 100,000 MR points equate to.  Perhaps one of our resident rewards experts can chime in on that.  My Experian score was 728 according to PSECU.

Message 19 of 33
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

@LesWH wrote:

@KS13 wrote:

I don't know exactly how much 100,000 MR points equate to.  Perhaps one of our resident rewards experts can chime in on that.  My Experian score was 728 according to PSECU.

I'm hardly an expert but for the most part they are worth $0.01 in most situations. You can get a little more value when transferring to FF programs and a little less when redeeming them for gift cards. Shop around and research before using them. 

BTW I'm jealous of that great offer. I upgraded last month to Platinum Business from Gold Business and got a measly 25,000. My total points for spend last year was 179,600 including the upgrade. Great score. 

Message 20 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.