Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My App Spree

tag
themanwhosoldtheworld
Valued Member

My App Spree

I guess you can't really call it an App Spree, it is pretty much spread out over a month.

August:

Sportsman's Guide Visa 2000

Paypal Extras 2000

Amazon Store Card 1700

September:

Upgraded Cap 1 Visa Platinum to Quicksilver (sounds like everyone is getting this offer now)

Discover IT CLI from 2k to 2.6k (not huge but it was an auto CLI)

Merrick Bank Visa CLI from 1.3k to 1.7k (not huge but it was an auto CLI after using the card once last month and PIF)

These last two I was really excited for....

Chase Freedom  4000

Citi ThankYou Preferred 3500

Here is what my credit profile was before the above additions:

Cap 1 Platinum - 500

Barclay Rewards MasterCard - 1500

Cap 1 Platinum MasterCard (was orchard bank) - 950

Chase (Just a regular Chase Visa) - 1500

HSBC Discover - 500

US Bank Visa - 1400

Wells Fargo Visa 5500

First National Bank of Omaha AMEX - 2200 (I was super excited about this one at the time!)

Here is some history on me.  BK dropped off of my history early this year.  Since the BK went away, my scores have climed well.  I only carry a balance (under 5% UTIL on my Discover IT being it is still in the 0% period. The thing I don't fully understand is my FICO had dropped to 692 in the middle of August after the new cards had reported.  I received a Score Watch change yesterday and my FICO had shot up to 743!  I may have over done it with credit apps this year but I am not going to be getting a car, home, or be involved in any other venture that will require credit.   INTO THE GARDEN FOR ME!

Does anyone have any recommendations on what my next goal card should be after gardening for an extended period of time.  I am thinking something BOA or true AMEX?  Maybe PC my standard Chase Visa to a Slate?  I need to have a goal to work towards (besides my FICO score goal) so that I do not get distracted.

Starting Score: EQ: 695 (MyFico)
Current Score: EQ 729(MyFico 05/07/14), EXP 724 05/08/2014, 744 Card Acquisition Risk Score 09/09/13 (Chase Pulled)
Goal Score: 800
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

Re: My App Spree

@themanwhosoldtheworld wrote:

I guess you can't really call it an App Spree, it is pretty much spread out over a month.

August:

Sportsman's Guide Visa 2000

Paypal Extras 2000

Amazon Store Card 1700

September:

Upgraded Cap 1 Visa Platinum to Quicksilver (sounds like everyone is getting this offer now)

Discover IT CLI from 2k to 2.6k (not huge but it was an auto CLI)

Merrick Bank Visa CLI from 1.3k to 1.7k (not huge but it was an auto CLI after using the card once last month and PIF)

These last two I was really excited for....

Chase Freedom  4000

Citi ThankYou Preferred 3500

Here is what my credit profile was before the above additions:

Cap 1 Platinum - 500

Barclay Rewards MasterCard - 1500

Cap 1 Platinum MasterCard (was orchard bank) - 950

Chase (Just a regular Chase Visa) - 1500

HSBC Discover - 500

US Bank Visa - 1400

Wells Fargo Visa 5500

First National Bank of Omaha AMEX - 2200 (I was super excited about this one at the time!)

Here is some history on me.  BK dropped off of my history early this year.  Since the BK went away, my scores have climed well.  I only carry a balance (under 5% UTIL on my Discover IT being it is still in the 0% period. The thing I don't fully understand is my FICO had dropped to 692 in the middle of August after the new cards had reported.  I received a Score Watch change yesterday and my FICO had shot up to 743!  I may have over done it with credit apps this year but I am not going to be getting a car, home, or be involved in any other venture that will require credit.   INTO THE GARDEN FOR ME!

Does anyone have any recommendations on what my next goal card should be after gardening for an extended period of time.  I am thinking something BOA or true AMEX?  Maybe PC my standard Chase Visa to a Slate?  I need to have a goal to work towards (besides my FICO score goal) so that I do not get distracted.

Call US Bank, say you would like to request a CLI and then to convert this card to a Cash+.

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 2 of 10
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Congrats on your spree. If you aren't carrying a bal per SE, not sure if you need the Slate now but the future possibly? I would think the CS or CSP, Amex BCP and 86 the HSBC Discover.
Message 3 of 10
myjourney
Super Contributor

Good run on cards congrats and see you in the garden

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 4 of 10
missjae
Established Contributor

Congrats! I would go for whichever Amex you like, especially since it will set your member since date if you've never had one.
Message 5 of 10
themanwhosoldtheworld
Valued Member

@Themanwhocan - Thanks I will give that a shot!

@09Lexie - Yeah I don't really think I need the Slate NOW, but I would like to have it in the future. The the HSBC Discover...I called around 3-4 months ago and asked for a CLI and they told me that it was a rebuilder card and they could not grant a CLI. After talking to the rep for a bit (very nice guy) he said that I would maybe want to just cancel the card after I had brought up my other cards with higher limits. My ONLY sticking point with this card is the age. This is my oldest card and they gave me credit when others would run from me. You know?

@myjourney - To the garden I go! Smiley Happy

@missjae - A "real" AMEX with definitely be on my list! I really have not looked into them yet though so I will have to do some research before I get to that point.

Now, if my Barclay card doesn't take AA against me for all of the recent inquires / tradelines I will be happy! I use the card to purchase product for my business from companies that only process MasterCard and Visa. I max out and pay off the card on average 2-3 times a month so that I can keep the rewards rolling. Out of curiosity, does anyone know details on the CITI rewards program? What I am wondering is, when you go to cash in your rewards for a gift card, do you get the full 1:1 benefit? ($50 gift card for 5,000 points) BTW, Love this forum. I am on here multiple times per day reading posts. I should probably post more but I am in no way an expert with some of the great experience and knowledge some of you have!

Current Score: EQ 729(MyFico 05/07/14), EXP 724 05/08/2014, 744 Card Acquisition Risk Score 09/09/13 (Chase Pulled)
Message 6 of 10
seat3a
Contributor

As far as the HSBC Discover, I am assuming it is a "Direct Rewards" card. I have 2 of those and in an earlier post this evening regarding my long haul with HSBC Orchard Bank and Cap One EO office (in which I got a CLI from $420 to 5K), I said I would 86 both of them. The first reason is obvious (my paltry CL) and also Cap One says it is doing nothing with these cards until sometime next year and who knows what they really will do. Even if you try to discuss these cards, you are sent to another department within Cap One. Don't need another 2 AF's..

Congrats on your mini-spree!

Barclay Arrival World MC 10K, Citi AAdvantage 16K, Chase Sapphire Preferred 15K, AMEX Gold Delta Skymiles 16K, Venture One 5K, Discover Direct Rewards (Cap 1) $300, Discover Direct Rewards (Cap 1) $500

Scores: EX 764 EQ 750 TU 809 MyFico 739 Last App 11/13
Message 7 of 10
themanwhosoldtheworld
Valued Member

@seat3a wrote:

As far as the HSBC Discover, I am assuming it is a "Direct Rewards" card. I have 2 of those and in an earlier post this evening regarding my long haul with HSBC Orchard Bank and Cap One EO office (in which I got a CLI from $420 to 5K), I said I would 86 both of them. The first reason is obvious (my paltry CL) and also Cap One says it is doing nothing with these cards until sometime next year and who knows what they really will do. Even if you try to discuss these cards, you are sent to another department within Cap One. Don't need another 2 AF's..

I read your thread about Orchard Bank.  Great job on that CLI!  You guessed right, it is a "Direct Rewards" card. What is your honest opinion.  It is one of my two oldest cards.  Do I keep it and eat the annual fee just to keep it on my report for my AAOA (I know it wouldn't fall off right away) or do I just AXE it?  I am thinking that when I apply for whatever I decide to next year that I would have a better chance at a higher limit if I am not currently holding cards with a low limit?  Maybe my thinking is off?

Thoughts?

Message 8 of 10
seat3a
Contributor

@themanwhosoldtheworld wrote:

@seat3a wrote:

I read your thread about Orchard Bank.  Great job on that CLI!  You guessed right, it is a "Direct Rewards" card. What is your honest opinion.  It is one of my two oldest cards.  Do I keep it and eat the annual fee just to keep it on my report for my AAoA (I know it wouldn't fall off right away) or do I just AXE it?  I am thinking that when I apply for whatever I decide to next year that I would have a better chance at a higher limit if I am not currently holding cards with a low limit?  Maybe my thinking is off?

Thoughts?

Since I had such a long haul getting my old Orchard Bank card to the new Cap One 5K level, I am just axing my 2 pseudo "discover" cards. I don't want to pay the annual fee and since Cap One has put Orchard Bank CC holders before the "Direct Rewards" customers in terms of their transition plus relegated those accounts to another Cap One department, IMO this means they are less valuable. I am not willing to wait and see what happens, then maybe go through another long haul. I am already in with Cap One so that's good enough. I could be wrong but I think a portfolio looks better if it doesn't contain those low limit builder cards. Someone correct me if I am wrong. Also, remember the card will still be on your report for 10 years figuring into your AAoA. If it isn't going to impact your util, my guess would be to axe it...with the proper ceremony...LOL.

Barclay Arrival World MC 10K, Citi AAdvantage 16K, Chase Sapphire Preferred 15K, AMEX Gold Delta Skymiles 16K, Venture One 5K, Discover Direct Rewards (Cap 1) $300, Discover Direct Rewards (Cap 1) $500

Scores: EX 764 EQ 750 TU 809 MyFico 739 Last App 11/13
Message 9 of 10
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

keep in mind that FNBO does SP CLI every 6 months... be sure to call and check if your account qualifies.. it's usually just sitting waiting for you to ask for it from my understanding!

and same with USBank... I know they have changed policy possibly but they use to offer $1500 SP CLI every 6 months and $3k SP CLI on business accounts.

email capital one EO about your $500 now quicksilver card and ask it to be CLI to $5k... it's a sp and they will call and ask if you would take less if they can't do the full $5k!!

congrats over all, looking good!

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.