cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My BOFA Secured card just Unsecured!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: My BOFA Secured card just Unsecured!

Congrats!  I had an $99/500 card that graduated and I couldn't get anything from BofA until I finally did a product change. Once I did the product change I received a few CLI in one years time.  I'm convinced that making the switch from the generic card I originally had, to a rewards card that was more respected was what did it. A few others have reported the same.

There is a double edged sword here though. I do believe that they will not issue certain cards unless you have a minimum of $Xk CL. So you might not be able to convert to another card yet. Which will leave you in sticky place, since you probably won't get any Luv from them until you do. Not sure what would be best in your case, I would attempt to do product change and see if there are any better cards you can get with your current CL. IF so, then do the change, sit on it for 6 months or so and then apply for CLI. 

Good luck!

Message 11 of 22
eparker
Frequent Contributor

I am thinking about applying for the BofA secured card.  I am interested in knowing is there a specific score they are looking for?  I've heard of people being denied for a secured card also.  I am in the process of rebuildng my credit.  I don't want to get to many inquiries on my credit report. 

I was recently approved for a best buy card.  Denied for Lowe's. Waiting on Cap1. 

Any other cc offers to apply for let me know.....

Thanks

TU:  617    EQ:  617    EXPUNK

Starting Score: Mid 500's
EQ-701 TU-693 EXP-698
Goal Score:750+

NavChek $15,000/NFCU nRewards Visa $12,000/American Express Rewards Gold NPSL/USAA Rewards World Mastercard $7000/USAA Visa Platinum $7000/Barclay $3900/Credit Union Visa $5000/Jareds $7600/BofA Visa $4000/USAA MC $1500/Walmart $1200//Amazon $1000/Discover Card $750/Cap1 $2250.

the FICO Fitness Challenge
Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 12 of 22
creditreformer
Frequent Contributor

Eparker, I was approved in late 5/08 w/ficos in the 570s-580s + some baddies on my reports. While ba approved me, they are holding those baddies against me + as I said in my recent post, ba has said they will NOT unsecure my cc w/ANY baddies on there, so while you may get a secured cc, you may find difficulty in unsecuring it

Message 13 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@creditreformer wrote:

Congrats- did you have any baddies on your reports?

I just checked my CR they hit me with a hard on TU which was great that is my best score 734 with no baddies showing. I did have like 15 recent inquries but that's about it.

Message 14 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Roxlie wrote:

Give them a call and ask to have the Worldpoints added to your Platinum account.  My card unsecured last month with the same details as yours did and I called them and they went ahead and added it.  They mailed me out a new card as well.  From what I understand though it's not really a product change morwe than just enrolling in the program.  Ask them that way and see if it helps.

Did you still have a AF that's what i would like to get rid of my card turns one year in August?
Message 15 of 22
mrjit

I have a 581 and was denied with 2 5 year old negatives on my report.

I'm also getting declined for everything else, so of course YMMV.

Message 16 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mrjit wrote:

I have a 581 and was denied with 2 5 year old negatives on my report.

I'm also getting declined for everything else, so of course YMMV.

Be easy things will get better.
Message 17 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats mj....
Message 18 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I also just noticed they updated to the CRA it no longer reports secured card it says credit card an they reported my new CL that was quick.
Message 19 of 22
Roxlie
Contributor

@creditreformer wrote:

Eparker, I was approved in late 5/08 w/ficos in the 570s-580s + some baddies on my reports. While ba approved me, they are holding those baddies against me + as I said in my recent post, ba has said they will NOT unsecure my cc w/ANY baddies on there, so while you may get a secured cc, you may find difficulty in unsecuring it

Mine unsecured in 9 months and a few days..no lates but I do have have a BK from 2006 on there.

Message Edited by Roxlie on 05-04-2009 01:47 PM
Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.