Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Barclay's "customer service" experience

tag
jj10939
Regular Contributor

My Barclay's "customer service" experience

Hi Everyone,

I found my conversation with a Barclay's CSR somewhat strange today and was looking for input from others to see if any of you have experienced anything similar with Barclay's or another bank.

I had a payment due yesterday on my Carnival MC that I overlooked.  I made the payment at about 9pm on the due date, but the payment wouldn't post until the next day.  My fault I know.  I received a late fee on my account.  I decided to call customer service today to see if I could get a one time courtesy removal of the late fee.  I get a foreign based CSR who reads off a script telling me it is bank policy to not remove any fees unless of a bank error, but she told me she would put me on hold to see what she could do.

She comes back after about a minute and says she could waive half of the fee.  I say thanks, but I would like to speak with a supervisor.  This is where things get strange IMO.  She tells me that she can connect me with a supervisor but they have no authority to waive fees and will tell me the same thing.  I was polite and told her that I would like to speak with one anyway.  She puts me on a silent hold for about two minutes and comes back and says that she spoke with a supervisor and they told her the same thing (they could not waive the fee) and that if I wanted them to further consider my request I would need to write their executive offices.  I told her again, very politely, that I would like to speak with a supervisor.  She puts me on yet another silent hold for about three minutes and comes back and says she is still trying to connect me.  Again after another silent hold of about three minutes she comes back and says she will waive the fee as a one time courtesy.

I just found it strange the way the call was handled.  I've heard of overseas call centers reluctant to transfer you to a supervisor because they are afraid of getting fired and this is what I thought.  I don't believe she ever tried to transfer me to a supervisor and I guess I was just curious to see if any of you have ever experienced anything like this.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: My Barclay's "customer service" experience

This new line "I can get you a supervisor but they are going to tell you the same thing I did"  I find quite repulsive... very quickly off subject was buying a shirt at Macy's which was found on a 50% rack and 15% off with use of Macys Card... Apparently it was error and she pointed to the non sale wall where several of the same shirts were... I pointed to the rack I got it from with also another 1 on the 50%... she said sorry they are in error there... I said not my problem and if you won't match Ill talk to supervisor... that's when I got the line from above.. I said that's great you think so but I'll let that person tell me... Sales lady makes call and about 30 seconds later says nevermind you don't have to talk to manager, we are going to match... I couldn't help but to let a little laugh out at her, she seemed very upset that she had to tell me I was right and would get the price I wanted.

Anyway back to your situation, I also would continue to ask like you did, don't tell me what someone else is going to do over you!

Good for you to be consistent and friendly... pays off to stick your ground until you get what you want!

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: My Barclay's "customer service" experience

I used to work in a call center. I know how it goes. First, they're trying to fish to see how far you're willing to go to get your way.

The last thing they want to do is transfer you to their supervisor. In this case, it's not so much as a fear of being fired. It's more that they truly are the ones that are there to handle your account. A supervisor's job in a call center is to monitor employees to make sure they're doing their job correctly, not to speak to customers. They got to that position so they didn't have to talk to customers, so they really don't want to talk to you anyway. Where I worked, my supervisor truly didn't have credentials for making adjustments, so any adjustments they agreed to were made by the rep anyway. So that's some of the reasons you were told the supervisor couldn't do any more.

When you were put on hold the first time, the rep may have talked to their supervisor, but may not have. If they did not, they know the company policy, which is typically to withold adjustments as much as possible, until the point where you pay lose a customer or seriously upset them. If they caved at first request for everyone, they'd go broke.

When you were put on hold the second time, the rep probably actually did speak to their supervisor, and rather than transferring the call, the supervisor caved and ok'd the adjustment.

Anyway, from 5 years in a call center, this is how I see it going down. They're there to provide customer service, but they're also there to protect the company. From a customer standpoint, I can see your frustration. From an employee standpoint, I see their side as well. In the end, you got what you wanted and didn't have to write in for it or verbally abuse anyone.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.