Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Barclaycard is my SD King. (Useless)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

My Barclaycard is my SD King. (Useless)

Hello friends,

I've had a Barclaycard Rewards MasterCard since September 9th, 2015 and initially got approved via the reconsideration line for $1,000 (Was brand new to credit at the time, only had a car loan since the year before and 2 other cards before). I used the card heavily for the first year, taking it to the limit almost every single month but never got a single credit line increase of any kind.

Since last year, my scores across all three credit bureaus have been on the rise and are are now all in the 750-770 range. In addition, a majority of my CLs across all of my cards are huge including my Blue Cash EveryDay @ $22,500 and total Citi Exposure across 3 cards @ $19,900. Not sure if I sound crazy but I don't understand why my Barclaycard has failed to grow. 

Believe me, I've tried calling in on multiple occasions and asking for a "soft-pull" APR reduction hoping that'll initiate a credit line increase. Compared to my other cards, this card offers me nothing but I don't want to lose the age of the account. Close it, fight it, or what? Let me know what I should do friends, thanks.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

Re: My Barclaycard is my SD King. (Useless)

What are the ages of your other cards?

Consider that the closed card will likely stay on your report and contribute to your AAoA for up to 10 years. By then, it'll likely make little difference. But if you're concerned, do the math and determine what your oldest card and AAoA would be if the Barclays card were to drop off tomorrow. It still might not make a lot of difference.

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

(As silly as it is) My oldest card is my GameStop PowerUp Rewards Store Card which will be 3 years old this coming November. Then my BofA Cash Rewards turned 2 years old this month. Which lands this Barclaycard as one of the older cards in my stack, but still I think you're right about it not making too much an impact due to the amount of other lines I have. Decisions, decisions.

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

When you call in to "reduce APR", do you at least ask them to check on addtl offers (For spend, 0% promo, etc)?

I've found that even my jankiest Barclaycard (Commence WMC, btw) gets nice little offers.
Message 4 of 11
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

I think the problem, besides being on Sir Barclays it list lol, is this card is probably kind of a starter card sort of like certain Cap One cards that get bucketed at whereever you were when you got the card. Since its king of SD land, and you apparently have better cards and limits id say just move on and concentrate on the cards that work for you and continue improving those cl's. My average thoughts for the daySmiley Wink
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I too have one of these cards, and I was also started at $1,000 a little more than two years ago.  I was able to get two or three soft pull raises on the card via the APR method but that still only bumped it to $2200.  Meanwhile I got a Discover card two years ago and they started me at $2,000.  Discover is now over $30,000 in credit!

I have no real reason to cancel the Rewards card as there is no AF or anything so I've not bothered as I only have one card older than it.  I have Hulu billed to it each month and just pay it. One day I'll cancel it, but I have a Wyndham card from them that I am keeping so I still have to log in and pay it from time to time when used so having the extra card is no bother.  If it bugs you cancel it, but with no AF you can just keep it in the sock drawer, mine is!

Funny note, they gave me 1k and a hard time getting CLIs on the Rewards card, and then gave me 5k on the Wyndham just a few months later.  They are strange....

Message 6 of 11
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello friends,

I've had a Barclaycard Rewards MasterCard since September 9th, 2015 and initially got approved via the reconsideration line for $1,000 (Was brand new to credit at the time, only had a car loan since the year before and 2 other cards before). I used the card heavily for the first year, taking it to the limit almost every single month but never got a single credit line increase of any kind.

@Since last year, my scores across all three credit bureaus have been on the rise and are are now all in the 750-770 range. In addition, a majority of my CLs across all of my cards are huge including my Blue Cash EveryDay @ $22,500 and total Citi Exposure across 3 cards @ $19,900. Not sure if I sound crazy but I don't understand why my Barclaycard has failed to grow. 

Believe me, I've tried calling in on multiple occasions and asking for a "soft-pull" APR reduction hoping that'll initiate a credit line increase. Compared to my other cards, this card offers me nothing but I don't want to lose the age of the account. Close it, fight it, or what? Let me know what I should do friends, thanks.

I believe there are several reasons.

1. They're phasing the card out; therefore not doing anything with existing cardholders.

2. Barclays is being even more conservative lately than before, due to rising credit card default rates.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 7 of 11
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

I actually received a first, one and only credit limit increase on my 

BRMC.  It's still on of my lowest limits, but I think that's how Sir Barclays

likes to play it.  Ive debated closing it on several occassions, but I'm kind of

holding on to it to see what they do with us BRMC holders.

Current Scores 3/2016 Equifax 676 Transunion 697 Experian 648 Goal Scores: 720's accross the board. Gardening Goal: 3/2017
Message 8 of 11
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Becareful Grill, they might just make you walk the plank in Boston Harbor, you know, for ol' times sakesSmiley Wink
Message 9 of 11
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
Becareful Grill, they might just make you walk the plank in Boston Harbor, you know, for ol' times sakesSmiley Wink

I would truly be "gobsmacked" if that were to happen! 

I'm half expecting to end up with a Barclays Cash Forward. 

Current Scores 3/2016 Equifax 676 Transunion 697 Experian 648 Goal Scores: 720's accross the board. Gardening Goal: 3/2017
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.