Reply
New Member
Rajin
Posts: 10
Registered: ‎02-27-2013

My Big App Spree - 18 Apps

[ Edited ]

I’ve had a quiet period on my credit report recently, with the only inquries in the last 6 months being 1 inquiry from Citi on Experian for 2 AA cards about 80 Days ago, and 1 Mortgage Inquiry on all three credit bureaus about 60 days ago.

 

So, about three weeks ago, I did a huge app spree for every credit card I thought I had a non-zero chance of getting.

I thought you guys might get a kick out out of seeing just exactly how reckless you can be with applications.

 

The spree was not as successful as I would have hoped. I wasted the top two spots on Citizen’s Bank cards that were declined. I could have had at least 2 more approvals if I had moved the barclays applications to these spots. 

 

 

I ended up with 18 applications submitted in one day Edited.

 

6 Denials

   2 for “Sufficient Credit”

   1 for Citi’s 2-card rule

   1 for Citi’s new 1 Hilton at  time rule

   1 for Business too new

   2 for Barclays being conservative

 

12 Approvals

 

The Haul (after some spending):

5% on Grocery for 6 months, worth at least 50k points, hopefully more

100k British Airways Miles  and a companion pass

65k United Miles

400$ Cash

100k Hilton Points

25k Starwood Points

270k Hilton for 345$ in fees (will try to get them waived)

6 Hilton points per $ at CVS until May, worth 100k Hilton points at least

Gold Hilton Status

 

All in, I’ll probably clear at least $5,000 in value from these applications.

2k in BA tickets, 1k in United tickets, 2k+ in Hotels, some cash back

 

First Application:

Charter One – 5% back on pharmacy for 3 Months, estimated value of 50000 points

Declined, and turned down by reconciliation because of “Sufficient Credit Obligations from Other Issuers”. I called up for reconciliation  and was told that they wouldn’t give me a card because I already had enough credit from other banks. I hung up and tried again, with the same result. I was told that a manager had already manually reviewed the application, and would not approve it. The credit analyst actually started rattling off the other accounts I had (25k with BoA, 20 k with Chase, etc.)

This was a total waste since it was the first and second application I put in.

 

Second Application

Citizen’s Bank – 5% back on pharmacy for 3 Months, estimated value of 50000 points

Same as Charter One, since they are two faces of the same bank, this isn’t too surprising.

 

 

Third Application

TD Bank -5% back on grocery for 6 Months, estimated value of 50000 points

Finally approved after 12 days, with no intervention from me.  I will churn this card with Grocery-store based gift cards for the next 6 months, with a goal of $500 cash back per month. 10k Limit.

 

Fourth Application

Citi AA Business with EIN, 50k miles

Denied. This was a casualty of my experiment if I could get around Citi’s 2 application limit by applying with an EIN as the primary number supplied instead of my SSN. No, you can’t, and this was processed as the third Citi app, causing this denial. Reconsideration failed for this app because of the strict rule on 2 apps.

 

Fifth Application

Chase British Airways – 100k BA miles after 20k spend, companion pass after 30k

Initially denied, but approved by calling reconsideration. I am going to put 30k on this card and use the 130k (100k bonus, 30k spending) miles and the companion pass to book 2 first class trans-Atlantic tickets this summer. 9k limit. 

 

Sixth Application

Chase INK Bold with EIN – 50k UR points

Declined after 14 days. I’m not going to try recon for this one.  The reason for denial was “Business too new”, probably because this EIN is only a couple months old.

 

Seventh Application

Chase United Card – 65000 value, 50000 United miles after 1k, 5000 for an AU, bonus 10k after 25k spend

Initially denied, but approved by calling reconsideration. 5k limit.

 

Eighth Application

Barclays’ NFL : $400, or 40000 points equiv

Approved automatically. Received and bonus already paid out. 6k limit.

 

Ninth Application

Citi Hilton Reserve, two free nights, automatic Gold status as long as you have the card, 95$ annual fee

Unfortunately, a victim of Citi’s new policy of only one Hilton or AA card at at time. Initially declined, and the very nice credit analyst still couldn’t get it approved on recon. He actually put in it for approval, and had it rejected by ‘the computer’ because I had already received the other citi hilton card.

 

Tenth Application

Citi Hilton Platinum, 50k points, no fee

Automatically approved. 11.7k limit.

 

Eleventh Application

American Express Hilton, 50k points, no fee, automatic silver status

Initially deferred, but approved automatically the following day. 10k limit.

 

Twelfth Application

American Express Starwood Business, 25k points after 5k spend

Initially deferred, but approved the following week without any intervention by me. 4k limit.

 

Thirteenth Application

Bank of America Hawaiian Airlines Card. 70k Hilton Points, 89$ fee

Initially deferred, but approved by recon. 12k limit.

 

Fourteenth Application

Bank of America Hawaiian Airlines Business Card, 70k Hilton Points, 89$ fee

Initially deferred, but approved the following week without any intervention by me. 7.5k limit.

 

Fifteenth Application

Bank of Hawaii Hawaiian Airlines Card. 70k Hilton Points, 89$ fee

Initially deferred, but approved by recon. 5k limit.

 

Sixteenth Application

American Express Hilton Surpass Card, 60k Hilton points, Free gold status the first year, diamond status after 40k spend, 6x points at CVS until May

Initially deferred, but approved the following day automatically. 10k limit.

 

Seventeenth Application

Barclays US Airways Card, 50k points after first purchase and a small BT

Declined, denied by recon. Analyst only two two other inquiries and two new accounts open, and still asked why I was appying for ‘so many cards’. He noted that I had recently open the NFL card and that I should wait for that account to age some.

 

Eighteenth Application

Barclays US Airways Business Card, 50k points after first purchase and a small BT

Declined, didn’t call recon.

 

 

Inquiry Damage:

7 Experian Queries

1 Equifax Query

2 Transunion Queries

 

Average Age of Accounts change:

Via TU, Average age prior to App-o-Rama was 38 months.

After, average age  was 33  months.

 

Open Accounts Change:

23 Accounts open prior to App-o-Rama

35 Accounts open after App-r-Rama.

 

Credit Score Damage:

Pre App-o-Rama TU Score was 759, dropped immediately to 747 the day after.

Pre App-o-Rama Experian Score was 747, no update yet.

10 Days post App-o-Rama TU Score was 727, with 2 inquiries and 3 new accounts reported.

20 Days post App-o-Rama: TU Score was 727, with 2 inquiries and 7 new accounts reported.

Valued Contributor
dodfire
Posts: 1,453
Registered: ‎04-14-2012

Re: My Big App Spree - 18 Apps

I really do not know what to say other than..... WOW!!!!!

*8/10/13
Valued Contributor
dodgerslv
Posts: 1,655
Registered: ‎06-16-2012

Re: My Big App Spree - 18 Apps

I think you may have set a new record here on myFico...:smileywink:



cards in wallet : Chase CSP (15k), BofA Privilege (33K), Amex BCP (6K), Discover (8k), Barclays Arrival + (12.5k), US Bank Flex Travel (7.5K), US Bank Cash + (6k) Penfed Rewards (22.5k)
cards for travel: Citi AA WEMC (20K), Citi Prestige (11.5K), Chase Ritz (20K), Chase United Explorer (22K), Barclays US Airways (10k)
Fico 08 scores (6/21/14) EX: 758 TU: 759 EQ: 755




Regular Contributor
Johnny_Favorite
Posts: 266
Registered: ‎09-05-2012

Re: My Big App Spree - 18 Apps

The fact that you're a new visitor and this is your first post has me skeptical.


I want to believe... but I'll let others believe.

 

Post pics of your cards when you get them in, maybe I'll believe. You can blur the numbers out.




Frequent Contributor
CreditWorld2013
Posts: 346
Registered: ‎02-01-2012

Re: My Big App Spree - 18 Apps

[ Edited ]

Johnny_Favorite wrote:

The fact that you're a new visitor and this is your first post has me skeptical.


I want to believe... but I'll let others believe.

 

Post pics of your cards when you get them in, maybe I'll believe. You can blur the numbers out.


Thanks for the clear up. 

Frequent Contributor
shorrttyycm1
Posts: 392
Registered: ‎03-29-2011

Re: My Big App Spree - 18 Apps

WOW

Starting Score: 530
3-2013Score: TU 680 EQ 683 EXP 679 FAKO
Current Score (lender pull): TU 693 EQ 649 EXP 699 Lender Pull
Goal Score: 700


Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Mega Contributor
Creditaddict
Posts: 18,578
Registered: ‎10-23-2007

Re: My Big App Spree - 18 Apps

Okay, I agree about promoting BUT still not out of question and if true - I feel like this is just another person that backs up my who cares about INQ and new accounts (AA) yes, some denials happened, but I rather bag all the credit and sit back then plan it out over 5 years (unless house shopping)

 

Now the part that I'm a little more amazed at is the HIGH limits on almost all of the approvals.

 

Now the question is:

1. What is income on APP

2. You say 25? accounts before app spree - can you lay out maybe 5 lowest limit and 5 highest limit bank and card out of that 25 and oldest and youngest accounts.

Fico Scores: EQ 639 Navy, TU 667 GE, EX 677 Prosper (06-27-14)
You will have to put up Electric Fence to keep me in the garden!
Highest Limit: Fidelity Amex $25k (AU)
Lowest Limit: Buckle $250
Over 30 Cards in between :smileytongue:
Contributor
VirusCredit13
Posts: 163
Registered: ‎02-20-2013

Re: My Big App Spree - 18 Apps

[ Edited ]

Johnny_Favorite wrote:

The fact that you're a new visitor and this is your first post has me skeptical.


I want to believe... but I'll let others believe.

 

Post pics of your cards when you get them in, maybe I'll believe. You can blur the numbers out.


tbh if he is lieing who cares, if he is telling the truth who cares. 

Moderator Emeritus
llecs
Posts: 32,880
Registered: ‎08-04-2007

Re: My Big App Spree - 18 Apps


Johnny_Favorite wrote:

Post pics of your cards when you get them in, maybe I'll believe. You can blur the numbers out.


Pics of your own CCs (or others) aren't allowed on here per the rules of this site.

New Member
Rajin
Posts: 10
Registered: ‎02-27-2013

Re: My Big App Spree - 18 Apps

[ Edited ]

Johnny_Favorite wrote:

The fact that you're a new visitor and this is your first post has me skeptical.


I want to believe... but I'll let others believe.

 

Post pics of your cards when you get them in, maybe I'll believe. You can blur the numbers out.


 

 

 

Skeptical of what exactly? 

But sure, I've got some of the cards on hand at work here, I added them to the <more info> link on the original post, since you're not supposed to post pics here. 

 

 

 


myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+