Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Credit Building - Sept 2012 to now

tag
ysabelle32
Established Member

My Credit Building - Sept 2012 to now

Hi all

I just want to thank everyone on this forum, I have gained so much knowledge from reading everyone's experiences and advice. I'm hoping that all the info I post here can in turn help others. Background - Born in the US, moved to UK at age 11, moved back to US last Sept. so starting with no history at all at age 32. employed full time $40-45K annual wage

Oct 12 - issued PNC secured card - $250

Oct 12- approved for Capital One Platinum card with a $300 CL

use Cap One card for various things, PIF each month, paying all bills on time, etc

Mar 13 -auto 6x CLI on Cap One card! new CL =$1800

Mar 13- app'd and approved for AMEX BCE - $2KCL

Mar 13 - app'd and denied Citi Diamond Preferred

Mar 13 - app'd and approved for Discover IT - $2K CL

Continue paying all bills on time, using cards and PIF each month. never reporting more than a 4% utilization. 

May 13 app'd and approved for mortgage with local credit union FICO Scores confirmed EQ - 701 TU- 710 Exp-708

Continue using cards and paying most off cards each month, never reporting more than 8% utilization across all

Sept 13 - laptop is dying Smiley Sad app'd and approved for $500 Buy It Later acct. not yet purchased anything on that yet though

Sept 13 - Balances reporting - Discover 168/2000 Amex BCE 128/2000 Cap One 148/1800

Oct 13 - read about 3x CLI on Amex. Try and approved for $6K limit

Oct 13 - CLI button visable on Cap One wesbite. Approved for $500 increase

Oct 13  -decide to apply for Chase Freedom to B/T.realised it's been 12 months since I got the Cap One, interest kicks in.  approved for $3.5K

Oct 13 - read about 50,000 avios point sign-up bonus for BA Visa siggy.Figured I'd go for it as we could really do with those points for flights to UK - approved with $7K limit

Current FAKO Scores: Exp 709 EQ: unsure TU:711   pretty sure these will change after next month's reporting. not sure how much of a hit they will take with all the hps but at least all approvals

I am definitely gardening for the forseeable future!! May be looking to lease a car in a few months time, but nothing else til then. TBH, I can't see why I would need another cc for at least a couple of years if not longer. Again, I could have never done this without the help of this forum. I thought it would take me years to get where I am with my credit here now, instead it has only taken months. I have much more senior work colleagues (on a lot higher wage than me) who have moved over from the UK and have been unable to obtain the CL and cc that I have (not sure why!).

Any questions, let me know. Happy to give back after being helped so much Smiley Happy

PNC Secured Visa 10/12 $250, Cap 1 Plat MC 10/12 $2.3K, Discover IT 4/13 $2K, AMEX BCE 5/13 $6K, Chase Freedom 10/13 $3K Chase BA Visa SIgnature $7K

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: My Credit Building - Sept 2012 to now

Thank you for sharing your story. The garden is a great place for you and your new seedlings.
Message 2 of 4
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

I am glad all has worked out for you thus far.  I hope you the best of luck when you try to get the car!  I too have gained a lot from this forum and from Credit Karma.  Getting the score to watch what happens has certainly been good to know the progress.  There is a lot of good information here from many perspectives.

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 3 of 4
myjourney
Super Contributor

WTG

See you in the garden to continue your journey

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.