Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Credit Card Addiction

tag
TheBronxBomber
Regular Contributor

My Credit Card Addiction

So, I just realized that my desire to app for cards isn't about increasing the amount of available credit. I mean really, I have some nice credit lines, including an Amex revolver with a 25k limit, and a Citi card with a 20.5k credit line. I really don't need more credit. What It's really about for me is the love of opening my mailbox and finding the credit card envelope addressed to me with a brand new card inside. I've been so tempted to app lately. Instead, I called AMEX and upgraded my Traditional Gold to a PR Gold card. I also called Citi and had them send me a new Thank You Premier card. When mine was issued, the chip card wasn't available. Now, I'll have the chip card within 5 days. This should keep me happy for a few months. Lol Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Current myFICO Scores:03/08/12 EQ: 801 • TU: 801 • Bank of America TU FICO: 822 • Credit Karma Vantage: 873

My Wallet: Amex Business Platinum | Amex SPG (5k) | Amex Delta Reserve (33k) | Citi ThankYou Premier World MasterCard (26k) | Chase Mileage Club Visa Signature (15k)
Sock Drawer: Barclay Ring MasterCard (10k) | Discover More (6.5k) | CapitalOne VentureOne (4.5k) | Macy's | Amex Platinum Personal
Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: My Credit Card Addiction

Yes, all the time! It's a great feeling getting new plastic!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 2 of 27
greeneman21
Contributor

Indeed, its similar to a shopping addiction except for cards.

Wallet: NFCU CashRewards 35k-- USAA AMEX 28k-- USAA World MC 22k-- Discover IT 17.5k--Chase Freedom 23.5k-- NFCU NavCheck 15k
Message 3 of 27
laboi_22
Established Contributor

Yes me too. I'm obsessed with credit cards and I love getting new cards but I also refrain from applying since I know what harm it can do and if I want those amazing deals offers and rewards cards I know I have to control the urge for applications. I'm doing well with it all getting CLIs and growing my garden. I only opened 2 new accounts this year and have no desire to open any for the next few years. I do exactly as you do. Order new cards because it's so fun to wait for them to come and then get them. It also helps you to get interested in one of your cards that got boring to you and was in the SD. At least that's been my experience.
Current Scores: EX - 728 FICO (5/11/13) TU - 771 FICO (7/02/13) EQ ??

Current Cards: Chase Freedom $5,000, CSP $5,700, BofA Visa Signature $15,000, AMEX BCE $6,000, Walmart $4,150, Gap Visa $10,000, JC Penny $5,800, Lowes $8,500, Dillard's AMEX $8,000, AMEX Hilton HHonors - $2,000, Chase United $12,000, Citi AAdvantage & Simplicity $6,000/$6,000, SPG AMEX $1,000
Message 4 of 27
Dishpro
Regular Contributor

Oh yes, the whole experience is exciting. The most incredible part is opening that plain white envelope. I however don't collect them as well as you do. I however plan to collect them when my target credit ratings are at last achieved.

Starting Score:
Current Score: FICO TU 725 FICO EQ 735 EX 754
Goal Score: 850

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 27
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

@TheBronxBomber wrote:
So, I just realized that my desire to app for cards isn't about increasing the amount of available credit. I mean really, I have some nice credit lines, including an Amex revolver with a 25k limit, and a Citi card with a 20.5k credit line. I really don't need more credit. What It's really about for me is the love of opening my mailbox and finding the credit card envelope addressed to me with a brand new card inside. I've been so tempted to app lately. Instead, I called AMEX and upgraded my Traditional Gold to a PR Gold card. I also called Citi and had them send me a new Thank You Premier card. When mine was issued, the chip card wasn't available. Now, I'll have the chip card within 5 days. This should keep me happy for a few months. Lol Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Yeap, got a new card last week and I still haven't used it... activated it and put in my wallet, but haven't put a single charge on it.  

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 6 of 27
scottwagnon
Valued Contributor

i think the plastic is sort of a rush for me. when i was a kid, i would spend time with my older portly neighbor, and i would play a game with him just to see if i could succeed; i would convince and persuade him to give me 50 dollars; once he handed me the money, i would say to him, "oh, i realize i don't need it, you can have it back. i would continue to ask a few more times just to see how far i could go with this. after so many times, i decided it was getting old, and i would go on to ask perfect strangers for money. i would always offer it back, as i didn't actually want it. some told me to take a hike while there was one man that insisted i keep the money that i asked from him. he told me he was moved, and deeply pleased with my ability to persuade him and in return, he fervently insisted that i accept the money i persuaded from him. he even handed me an extra 20 just for complying; i pretty much stopped after that as i did not actually want the money i was insisting i needed.

credit cards sort of provide that same rush; the more money i have access too, the more powerful and trusted i feel. that is why i am obsessed too with credit.

earth air water fire master visa express discover
Message 7 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Now that I have a few decent cards -- for me -- its all about the REWARDS that I can rack up, that's MY addiction.  THAT and building up my FICO® score higher and higher. 

Message 8 of 27
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Hmm I don't really like the plastic for some reason. I like the numbers on my account logins better. I have a ritual that involves drinking my coffee and logging in and checking the balances on our 2 savings and 3 checking accounts. I also check the major cc balances and my husbands cc balance. I check my investments on the 1st of every month. I rebalance every six months and i only make changes to my investments in January every year.
My zync is my favorite card. I carry amazon as a backup. Other two are sock drawered.

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 9 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes it's like Christmas when you get  a new card. 

Message 10 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.