Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Credit Card Addiction

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: My Credit Card Addiction

@webhopper wrote:

I like the numbers on my account logins better.

YES!!!  I thoroughly agree.

Message 11 of 27
SanjeevR
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Now that I have a few decent cards -- for me -- its all about the REWARDS that I can rack up, that's MY addiction.  THAT and building up my FICO® score higher and higher. 

I completely agree!! I find myself more interested in the signup bonuses and free travel more than anything else!! I've gotten the equivalent of thousands of dollars in travel over the last year. It's been great... And my FICO scores haven't suffered a bit due to Amex backdating! Needless to say the great credit lines are also a major plus. (But I try to PIF as much as possible.)
Starting scores: Around 630 (Sep 2011)
Current FICO scores: TU ‘08 792 (Walmart) • EQ 765 • EX 771 (Amex)
Prime cards: JP Morgan Select (30K) • HHonors Reserve (30K) • Chase United MileagePlus Explorer (20K) • Chase Sapphire Preferred (20K) • Amex Hilton Honors Surpass (20K) • Amex BCP (20K) • Barclay Ring (20K) • Citi Thank You Premier MC/Visa (16K Combined) • Discover Escape (10K) • Amex SPG (5K) • Amex Premier Rewards Gold • US Bank Cash+ (5K+???)
Message 12 of 27
TheBronxBomber
Regular Contributor

@webhopper wrote:

Hmm I don't really like the plastic for some reason. I like the numbers on my account logins better. I have a ritual that involves drinking my coffee and logging in and checking the balances on our 2 savings and 3 checking accounts. I also check the major cc balances and my husbands cc balance. I check my investments on the 1st of every month. I rebalance every six months and i only make changes to my investments in January every year.
My zync is my favorite card. I carry amazon as a backup. Other two are sock drawered.

Ok, that's different. Lol I was just referring to my cards. Now, when it comes to overall finances, I completely agree with you. I check my account balances everyday. Just last week while I was in New Orleans for work, I checked my accounts and noticed a few transactions at an ATM in NY. How could that be when I'm the only person with a card and I wasnt in NY at the time and the card was in my wallet. I caught it immediately and B of A cancelled my card and refunded the money.

Current myFICO Scores:03/08/12 EQ: 801 • TU: 801 • Bank of America TU FICO: 822 • Credit Karma Vantage: 873

My Wallet: Amex Business Platinum | Amex SPG (5k) | Amex Delta Reserve (33k) | Citi ThankYou Premier World MasterCard (26k) | Chase Mileage Club Visa Signature (15k)
Sock Drawer: Barclay Ring MasterCard (10k) | Discover More (6.5k) | CapitalOne VentureOne (4.5k) | Macy's | Amex Platinum Personal
Message 13 of 27
FrugalRican
Blogger

I might be the odd man out on these forums. I'm really not addicted to it.

It might have to due with my limited ability to spend as well, or the fact that I have all the cards that I "need". God knows I'd probably "want" a lot more cards, but I'd have no real way to use them correctly, so I figure, why app?

I'm fine with 5 cards, cutting down to 4 next year and probably keeping it that way.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 14 of 27
RockinRay
Valued Contributor

@FrugalRican wrote:

I might be the odd man out on these forums. I'm really not addicted to it.

It might have to due with my limited ability to spend as well, or the fact that I have all the cards that I "need". God knows I'd probably "want" a lot more cards, but I'd have no real way to use them correctly, so I figure, why app?

I'm fine with 5 cards, cutting down to 4 next year and probably keeping it that way.

+1 - I find too many cards too hard to manage. I really only use about 4 of my cards on a regular basis. I have a few that sit in the SD too. I have figured out the best reward strategy and that is what I try and pursue.

I think it is better to have / manage 4 or 5 cards with high CL's rather than 25 cards with low CL's.

Ray

** Every Card has a Job, and Every Card does its Job **
Message 15 of 27
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

@webhopper wrote:

Hmm I don't really like the plastic for some reason. I like the numbers on my account logins better. I have a ritual that involves drinking my coffee and logging in and checking the balances on our 2 savings and 3 checking accounts. I also check the major cc balances and my husbands cc balance. I check my investments on the 1st of every month. I rebalance every six months and i only make changes to my investments in January every year.
My zync is my favorite card. I carry amazon as a backup. Other two are sock drawered.

My exact routine -- and my two favorite cards. My zync and amazon store card.

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 16 of 27
jm00ser
Regular Contributor

I find it quite the rush to be waiting for those few precious seconds to see the word approved! Like the OP, it's definitely a feeling of power and slight pride that I am trusted with a 5 figure spending ability. But of course, with great power comes great responsibility... which is why I also feel that apping and being approved for prime CCs gives a deserved sense of accomplishment of having worked hard to build (or rebuild) credit worthiness!

It's nice to see the fruits of my labors!

In full gardening/ debt annihilation mode! (4/15/13)
Notre Dame FCU Visa 0/2k (8/04); CapOne Best Buy 800/1.5k (7\06)
Citi Thank You World MC 4800/9.7k (1/11); Amex Zync NPSL (9/11)
Chase Freedom Visa 1600/3.8k (9/11); Chase Southwest RR Premier Visa Signature 4300/10.7k (6/12); Discover It 0/3k (7/12)
EQ: 751 (4/1/13) EX: 742 (4/8/13) TU: 732 (4/8/13)
Message 17 of 27
injustifiiable
Valued Contributor

The only plastic I'm interested in comes in a plain white envelope from Omaha....

Scores 5/15/2016 (clean reports!): TU Walmart FICO: 696 | EQ FICO: 679 | EX AMEX FICO: 680

In my new wallet: American Express Green EMV: PSL $2000 | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa EMV: $2500 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard: $6400 | Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard: $1000 | Discover IT: $2500 | Amazon Rewards Visa Signature: $1500 | Chase Freedom: $1500 | Capital One QuicksilverOne MasterCard: $2100 | Target: $2800 | J.Crew $21,550 | Marvel (Captain America) MasterCard: $6000
Message 18 of 27
learnin113
Established Contributor

@TheBronxBomber wrote:
So, I just realized that my desire to app for cards isn't about increasing the amount of available credit. I mean really, I have some nice credit lines, including an Amex revolver with a 25k limit, and a Citi card with a 20.5k credit line. I really don't need more credit. What It's really about for me is the love of opening my mailbox and finding the credit card envelope addressed to me with a brand new card inside. I've been so tempted to app lately. Instead, I called AMEX and upgraded my Traditional Gold to a PR Gold card. I also called Citi and had them send me a new Thank You Premier card. When mine was issued, the chip card wasn't available. Now, I'll have the chip card within 5 days. This should keep me happy for a few months. Lol Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Yes!  Agree 100%.  I've tried freezing reports, but nothing with stop this app addiction of mine.  However, if I had the kinda limits you have...I would probably have another problem....the shopping sprees!  Heehee. 

Message 19 of 27
CS800
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes it's like Christmas when you get  a new card. 

Couldnt agree more Smiley Happy

Message 20 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.