Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Credit Card Addiction

tag
LionLaw
Frequent Contributor

Re: My Credit Card Addiction

I know the feeling.  I got my Citi Diamond Preferred this week, and opening the envelope was like opening a Christmas present.  Reflecting on this made me feel old and lame for a moment.  But then I went back to admiring the pretty black plastic with the holograms. 

Message 21 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

The only time I have been awe inspired from new plastic was when I got my very first credit card. I had been using a debit card instead, so when I got my first credit card that said capital one cash rewards, and was all glittery and shiny it felt great. Suddenly moving all my everyday expenses to it felt great.

When I got the next cards, discover and United explorer it wasnt the same feeling. Just activate and put in my wallet.

The 30 seconds or so after apping and the anticipation of an instant decision sure is a great rush and that is the only thing that gets me now.

I remember I had planned on gardening for 6 months after my discover app, but a month later the 50k bonus United miles were too good to pass up. I wanted that card but had planned on gardening for another 6 months. Said to myself worst case I get denied I just app again 6 months later.

So I went ahead and apped, left the computer to get some coffee in the kitchen, came back expecting a denial so I was floored when the screen said I was approved.

Two is plenty for me. I wouldnt want to manage any more. Discover for cashback bonus, Chase United for everything else. I want the sapphire preferred instead of the United card but of course now my decision to app for it next year rests on what happens with that Visa/MC lawsuit. No point in getting the sapphire preferred if you will be charged extra to use it. At least with the United card I should be able to buy United airline tickets surcharge free since you know all airlines will turn around and pitch "No credit card surcharges on airline purchases" as a "perk" for using their co branded card. Smiley Frustrated

Message 22 of 27
emptypockets
Valued Contributor

The approvals are a rush, especially when you are rebuilding and get to a point where you can finally get cards that you could never get before.

CC's: AMEX (4), Alliant Visa, PenFed AMEX, Pen Fed Promise, Citi (3), Chase (5), US Bank Cash+, Huntington Voice, Nasa Plat Cash Visa, Barclay's Visa, Discover IT, Cap One QS, BOA (2), BMW Visa, 5/3 Real Life Rewards MC; FNBO Amex; Comenity Visa/MC (3), Ebates Visa Siggy, Nordstrom Visa, Walmart MC, Sam's Club MC; A few assorted store cards.

Current Scores (09/2017): EQ My Fico: 786; TU MyFico: 799; EX (My Fico): 797
Message 23 of 27
CS800
Super Contributor

I remember getting my first 'real' prime card in the rebuildfing. I looked at it for like 10 minutes

AMEX Zync

Message 24 of 27
injustifiiable
Valued Contributor

My step-dad has like 13 or 14 cards, between personal and his business. At one point he had over 20. It's become too much for him to even manage....to that point that I'm helping him manage them. Let's not forget the 4 cards that my mom has in her own name.

I'm really only looking to get 3 or 4 good cards in my arsenal:

• AMEX Zync
  • Discover More
  • Some kind of Chase product - maybe a Freedom
  • Virgin America Elevate Rewards issued by BarclayCard

I probably wouldn't mind an AMEX revolver...either Skymiles or JetBlue. 5 cards is definitely enough, and I'm sure the majority of them wouldn't even be used all of the time.

Scores 5/15/2016 (clean reports!): TU Walmart FICO: 696 | EQ FICO: 679 | EX AMEX FICO: 680

In my new wallet: American Express Green EMV: PSL $2000 | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa EMV: $2500 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard: $6400 | Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard: $1000 | Discover IT: $2500 | Amazon Rewards Visa Signature: $1500 | Chase Freedom: $1500 | Capital One QuicksilverOne MasterCard: $2100 | Target: $2800 | J.Crew $21,550 | Marvel (Captain America) MasterCard: $6000
Message 25 of 27
jsickz32
Valued Contributor

Im 21 with 16 cc's. I think i have one from each big bank....its addicting
Amex BCE (2500) / Amex SPG (4000) / Amex GoldPR / Merrill+ Visa siggy (5000) / BofA Amex (6000) / Bofa cash rewards (5000) / BofA Privileges Cash Rewards (5000) / Citi Forward (4400) / Citi DP (2000) / Chase Freedom (4000) / Chase CSP (5000) / Chase Hyatt (5000) / Discover IT (1700) / FNBO AMEX (3600) / NFCU cashRewards Visa signature (15000) / NFCU Flagship Visa signature (12500) / NFCU Navcheck (5000) / Nordstrom (500) / MetroCU Visa Elite (5000) / Walmart (4500) / Kays Jewerels (6600) / Kohls (300) / Macys Platinum (2500) / DCU platinum Visa (17500) / Citizens bank cash back (1100) / Bill Me Later (1631) / PayPal Smart connect (2200) / BestBuy store card (2000)
Message 26 of 27
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

I like getting new cards too. I also like filling out applications and seeing that I have been approved. I have a similar thing with chequing accounts. I love getting cheques and debit cards in the mail even though I never use them. It just gives me a rush filling out an application and I get to see "approved" without an inquiry.

Message 27 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.