Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Credit Card Portfolio

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: My Credit Card Portfolio

I'm not sure we have enough information to answer your question.  Why do you want more cards/credit?  Is it to lower utilization or just collect cards?  If so, just go after the easy ones with large CL, example NASA or NFCU if you qualify.  Your portfolio is really scattered and you overlap quite a few rewards categories.  Personally I only get cards for two reasons.  First is sign up bonus for something I can use (free airline ticket, hotel redemption, or in some cases cash if it is enough).  Second I only sign up for cards that I will actually use. I guess you have to figure out what category you are in.  You say you want a hotel card.  Why? are you looking for status?  Are you looking to redeem for a vacation?  Do you want one that you can combine points with another program.  I am happy to provide some advise if you can give me a better idea of what you are tyring to accomplish.

Message 11 of 12
happypill
Valued Contributor

Re: My Credit Card Portfolio

My opinion is that you should have no more than 1 or 2 cards with an AF for general rewards.  It's also OK to have AF cards if they have annual bonuses that offset the AF (like a hotel card that gives free nights each year, or airline miles).

I think you need to pick a strategy on how you like to accumulate points.  Do you generate a lot of points through spending, or do you mainly get points through sign-up bonus?  If it's through spending, you should decide on a set of cards that provide th best benefit to you.  An example would be the CSP + Freedom, or the Sallie Mae + Arrival+.  Just remember, carrying any sort of balance pretty much negates any bonuses you get through spending.  If you get points mostly through sign-up bonuses, then you need to plan out how you're going to turn over your cards.

Think about your question and you'll find some good answers on these boards.

Message 12 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.