cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Credit Card journey !!! Hope for all !

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

My Credit Card journey !!! Hope for all !

I began my journey one year afgo today -- scores across the board were 550 or less, FICOs.  I started with a fresh Start Fingerhut at $300, PIF after 6 months of timely payments and graduated to revolving at just $250.00. . I also opened a Credit One at the same time in 11/14 for $300.  In a year's time, I have maanged to get 12 collections removed, 2 charge offs removed, and as of today my last 3 recent minor baddies that were 12 mos old (30 day lates on student loan) removed, resulting in score boost from average 550 -- 700s as of today!!!  According to FICOs simulator which has been almost spot on for me, after December 1 my scores should all be 700-730!!!!!!

My Card Lineup NOW:

Barclaycard APPLE VISA:  $3,000 CL  (opened 12/14 at $750, CLI to $3,000 in April '15)

CreditOne Bank:  $850 CL 

Western FCU VISA:  $3,000 CL (opened 6/15)

Capital One QS1:  $2,100 CL (opened 7/15)

Capital One Venture1:  $7500 CL (opened 8/15)

CareCredit:  $3,000 CL  (opened 9/14)
*AMEX Everyday:  $2,000 CL (Newest addition!  11/15) -- been EYEING this card!!!  Finally in with AMEX!!

*BBVA NBA Amex:  $5,000 CL (Newest addition!  11/15), will try to recon limit to $10k on acitvation 

I am over the MOON!!!!  GARDENING until after Jan 1, then apping for more prime cards for TRAVEL Rewards -- BofA Travel, for sure and possibly another AMEX depending on CLI with them after 3 months.  I heard they grow fast?  

From $0 available credit one year ago, to over $24,000 today!!!!  And counting.  My income supports high lines, so I hope to be one of those people with over $100k in credit down the line.  I am not a reward churner, but it is always nice to have for rewards, home improvements and travel!!  My point is that anyone can do it !!!  Hard work, paying off debts, and GWs!  ** to all those who told me to hang in there, offered positive pointers and such -- thank you !!!  The waiting has paid off!

As a side note, with my scores and stats, what is the BEST prime cash back card?  Im psyched for the BBVA Amex as after $500 spend you get a $100 statmernt credit (or NBA merch)...I want a TRUE high earn cash back prime card!!  Weigh in gurus!!!!  Smiley Very Happy  

Scores:  700 Across board  FICO 8s

AAofA: 7 Years, 13 oldest

UTIL: 30% now, once new lines report will be under 20% !

Baddies:  - NO Major Derogs (Coll, C/O, over 60 day lates)

- 30 Day late x 2 -- 22 months old, thats IT!!!!!!  Student loans, not CC

INQs:  Moderate to heavy on EXP & EQ, Light on TU

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: My Credit Card journey !!! Hope for all !

Great job! Those student loan lates will getchya but eventually start to wear off. I have a few late payment errors on my report and have tried everything under the sun to eliminate them. Best to keep doing what you been doing.

What is  GW?

For the best cash back card, click the link by Themanwhocan in my signature. It should help guide you to which card combos are best based on your actual spending! Great job on the BBVA Amex!

I know u said your inquiries are high.... but I was at a point earlier in the year with 30% utilization. I used one transunion hard pull and asked for 25k CLI. I was at 6800. They bumped me up to 15,800.  Which at the time was really worth it.  But yeah, if you dont plan on using it, then your HP could be better spent.

Also even if you dont travel regularly, but just vacation one time every year or two, sometimes points are better.  You may want to consider applying for the PRG before dec 31st, to get 50k MR points after 1k spend, two $50 airline gift cards, then jan1 another two $50 gift cards. Then you can evaluate if you want to keep it or not. And if you are denied its only a soft pull.  You could actually apply for the delta gold 50k offer and use the same HP and snag the PRG, but only if you could afford 3k spend in 90 days and would fly.  FYI all my scores were below 700 and I got all three of my amex cards in a 60 day period this last May.  But its probably better for you to garden so you dont spread yourself too thin!  Again, congrats!!

Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

AWESOME POST!!!!  Thank you -- I will look into those.  But I will wait on AMEX for a bit, dont wanna sppook them by applying ofr too many at once, might wait until Dec 30th lol!!  

As a side note, JUST activated my AMEX ED and asked for 2.5x the SL -- BOOM!!!!! INCREASED!!!!!!!  ON A ROLL !!!!!!!

I am going to check those cards out you listed around 12/1!!  

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats, you've done a lot more in a year than I have!

I'm a little over a year into my journey as well and started in the 550's too, I'm no where near as high as you yet but have two accounts w/ missing payments in history dropping off this month plus I settled a charge-off, I don't think I can get that completely removed from my report since it's sticking around til 2019 but at least it will be settled vs charge-off currently reporting... GW's are mainly just for stuff that's about to drop off and individual missed payments right?

If I could just get this whole settled account off completely I bet I'd start encroaching on 700's too, I'm around 630 since none of those 3 things have updated yet but suspecting any week now... I have 5 public records though, I doubt you can get those taken off (with no intentions of paying)... right?

I'm only at a total of $3000 CL between 4 cards so far.

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I began my journey one year afgo today -- scores across the board were 550 or less, FICOs.  I started with a fresh Start Fingerhut at $300, PIF after 6 months of timely payments and graduated to revolving at just $250.00. . I also opened a Credit One at the same time in 11/14 for $300.  In a year's time, I have maanged to get 12 collections removed, 2 charge offs removed, and as of today my last 3 recent minor baddies that were 12 mos old (30 day lates on student loan) removed, resulting in score boost from average 550 -- 700s as of today!!!  According to FICOs simulator which has been almost spot on for me, after December 1 my scores should all be 700-730!!!!!!

My Card Lineup NOW:

Barclaycard APPLE VISA:  $3,000 CL  (opened 12/14 at $750, CLI to $3,000 in April '15)

*AMEX Everyday:  $2,000 CL (Newest addition!  11/15) -- been EYEING this card!!!  Finally in with AMEX!!

*BBVA NBA Amex:  $5,000 CL (Newest addition!  11/15), will try to recon limit to $10k on acitvation 

I am over the MOON!!!!  GARDENING until after Jan 1, then apping for more prime cards for TRAVEL Rewards -- BofA Travel, for sure and possibly another AMEX depending on CLI with them after 3 months.  I heard they grow fast?  

From $0 available credit one year ago, to over $24,000 today!!!!  And counting.  My income supports high lines, so I hope to be one of those people with over $100k in credit down the line.  I am not a reward churner, but it is always nice to have for rewards, home improvements and travel!!  My point is that anyone can do it !!!  Hard work, paying off debts, and GWs!  ** to all those who told me to hang in there, offered positive pointers and such -- thank you !!!  The waiting has paid off!

As a side note, with my scores and stats, what is the BEST prime cash back card?  Im psyched for the BBVA Amex as after $500 spend you get a $100 statmernt credit (or NBA merch)...I want a TRUE high earn cash back prime card!!  Weigh in gurus!!!!  Smiley Very Happy  

Totally off the subject but how did you get the student loan lender to remove your late payments. I have one and I can't seem to get Chase to remove it. Ugh!

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good job!
Message 6 of 14
Kidcat
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

My Card Lineup NOW:

Congrats and keep up the good workSmiley Happy

Last app 09/21/2021. Gardening Goal Oct 2023
Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Fantastic!  Great job!

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jdana the best I can say is write a very detailed letter and ask for either a good will adjustment or a deletion based on errors reporting. Scrutinize your reports for errors. Then mail or email the letters to CONPANY EXECS ! Use Lead411.com to find names and contact. :-)

It may take months but it's worth it.

And thank you all!!!! Just got a 2.5x CLI already on my Amex lol!!!! The phenomenon is true
Message 9 of 14
tiger_uppercut
Established Contributor

Good work. Now garden and work on that utilization so you can get higher limits in the future.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.