cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Credit Cards and Debt out in the Sun...

tag
Chris123nTx
Established Contributor

Re: My Credit Cards and Debt out in the Sun...

Totally agree. It is the number of acciunts that make things seem worse than they are at first glance.

This is all doable as long as the shovel is set aside meaning no more digging into that debt hole. I would close all but a handle of accounts as you pay things off. I jnow people have lots of opinions on that, but to me, having a few quality accounts that give you some credit security fir lifes challenges, is way more important than having dozens of credit accounts all seeminlgy working against each other.

Solvable problem though. As they say, acceptance of the problem is the first step, or something like that. Takes guts to lay out your life, warts and all.
Message 21 of 28
Scene
Regular Contributor

Take notes people this is what being a true American is all about!

Anyways good luck paying down that debt and hopefully your job is secure for the next couple of years!

Message 22 of 28
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

I still find it amusing that you have 4 Target cards!

I don't know why I find it amusing!

Message 23 of 28
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

"splurging on a pet related expense" As long as we are talking outside of the $2600 Doggie ER bill yes probably true. I actually had a friend post on FaceBook about how Mia (my dog) is to sassy to go on a budget and I responded she can be as sassy as she wants until I take the last Swarofski Crystal out of her necklace! It's funny and not at the same time I know.... she does not go to "Spa" as I call it nearly as much as before, now just nails and deshed (i do baths at home now) and she doesn't get treats when I leave, she gets them when she is good and doesn't bark... Might sound crazy but I probably will never have an actual child and she is that for me and my mom calls her grandbaby all the time too!

"it really seems more like a spending issue than the debt itself"
No doubt a spending issue... Food, Wine, Bars are my fav now that I gave up my shoes and clothes! It's taken time to convert my thoughts of which happy hour or reataurant I want to go to tonight and pulling up open table for a quick reservation. $100-$200 a night was just epected in the passed for eating out.

"It took a lot of growing up for me to understand having available credit doesn't make things affordable"
This was the quote of the day on FaceBook, I had a lot of "likes" I love it!
and special thanks to lilmirth, it does read better and actually make me feel a bit better to look at the list broken down the way you did it... Thank you!
Message 24 of 28
drkaje
Senior Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

"splurging on a pet related expense" As long as we are talking outside of the $2600 Doggie ER bill yes probably true. I actually had a friend post on FaceBook about how Mia (my dog) is to sassy to go on a budget and I responded she can be as sassy as she wants until I take the last Swarofski Crystal out of her necklace! It's funny and not at the same time I know.... she does not go to "Spa" as I call it nearly as much as before, now just nails and deshed (i do baths at home now) and she doesn't get treats when I leave, she gets them when she is good and doesn't bark... Might sound crazy but I probably will never have an actual child and she is that for me and my mom calls her grandbaby all the time too!

No doubt a spending issue... Food, Wine, Bars are my fav now that I gave up my shoes and clothes! It's taken time to convert my thoughts of which happy hour or reataurant I want to go to tonight and pulling up open table for a quick reservation. $100-$200 a night was just epected in the passed for eating out.

"It took a lot of growing up for me to understand having available credit doesn't make things affordable"
and special thanks to lilmirth, it does read better and actually make me feel a bit better to look at the list broken down the way you did it... Thank you!

I was leaving the house and responded hurriedly. No offense was intended.

I realize some use animals as substitute children but spending like that (with so much debt) is a reckless way to deal with feelings. There was a time when I tried giving each of mine to gypsies and would have given you a great deal, LOL! I'm going to keep them but would gladly loan out one for spoiling... err I meant special occasions. Smiley Happy

I love food and wine but there are other ways to splurge. I'm the typical thoughtless guy but you'd be surprised how much my girlfriend appreciates a warm towel (fresh from the dryer) when coming out of the shower.

You can also get into cooking! One thing that really improved my meals was only buying whatever fruits/vegetables actually in season and keeping things simple. Also, my greatest secret is not rushing through the prep time. I put on my favorite blues album "Howlin' Wolf, Live and cookin' at Alice's" to help the mojo get in that food and make sure prep time never gets rushed. Trust and believe this: when people in the house hear that album playing, they know something good is happening in the kitchen. Smiley Happy

I guess what I'm saying is there are better ways to deal with feelings than a continuously distracting ourselves with shiny new things. You'll go broke and still have all the feelings to deal with. * Excess spending didn't get under control until after getting in touch with (and admitting) what I was really trying to buy. Smiley Happy

*Voice of experience, LOL!

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 25 of 28
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@drkaje wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

I was leaving the house and responded hurriedly. No offense was intended.

I realize some use animals as substitute children but spending like that (with so much debt) is a reckless way to deal with feelings. There was a time when I tried giving each of mine to gypsies and would have given you a great deal, LOL! I'm going to keep them but would gladly loan out one for spoiling... err I meant special occasions. Smiley Happy

I love food and wine but there are other ways to splurge. I'm the typical thoughtless guy but you'd be surprised how much my girlfriend appreciates a warm towel (fresh from the dryer) when coming out of the shower.

You can also get into cooking! One thing that really improved my meals was only buying whatever fruits/vegetables actually in season and keeping things simple. Also, my greatest secret is not rushing through the prep time. I put on my favorite blues album "Howlin' Wolf, Live and cookin' at Alice's" to help the mojo get in that food and make sure prep time never gets rushed. Trust and believe this: when people in the house hear that album playing, they know something good is happening in the kitchen. Smiley Happy

I guess what I'm saying is there are better ways to deal with feelings than a continuously distracting ourselves with shiny new things. You'll go broke and still have all the feelings to deal with. * Excess spending didn't get under control until after getting in touch with (and admitting) what I was really trying to buy. Smiley Happy

*Voice of experience, LOL!

Thnk You that was a really great post... I like to add a little humor to my life even in some of the worst circumstances... Luckily I have a partner that really loves to cook so transitioning from dining out to dining in wasn't that difficult, now if we just master the art of grocery shopping for like $50 a week! Doing the list thing and sticking to it was first challenge and I think that is about 90% good now (I did have to throw in a box of Chocolates yesterday at Costco that were not on the list but they were $11 for 33 Chocolates, something I like to eat 1 late at night when I grave something sweet.)

So besides lists and planning out the meal, what's the next best way to cut it way back?

Message 26 of 28
NikJ4
Established Contributor

@Walt_K wrote:

Three years ago I was $35K in CC debt and $10K behind on my mortgage.  It was a long road out, but it can be done.  Best of luck to you.

Good for you !!!
Message 27 of 28
RockinRay
Valued Contributor

@NikJ4 wrote:

@Walt_K wrote:

Three years ago I was $35K in CC debt and $10K behind on my mortgage.  It was a long road out, but it can be done.  Best of luck to you.

Good for you !!!
+1
Ray

** Every Card has a Job, and Every Card does its Job **
Message 28 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.