Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Credit Journey to date

tag
dimitrip
Established Member

My Credit Journey to date

I am a fairly new immigrant to the US. I just started establishing credit. It was quite difficult to get my first tradeline.I ended up doing some research and found a catalog company called grandpointe that actually reports to all 3 bureaus. I had to pay 50% of the sale and they extended credit for the other half. A couple of months after I applied for the capital one new comer card, they gave me a 500 line. As soon as I had enough history to generate a fico, I applied for the citi forward card and really didnt expect to get it, however an online chat was available, they asked me my address and some other details and then they said I was approved for 2500. I almost fell off my chair. I felt invinsible so started applying like crazy but denied for everything after that. Last month I applied for the chase freedom card and they declined. So I called for reconsideration and the told me to call back the folliwing monday to verify some details with fraud dept. I did and the rep told me approved for 3000. I just payed my citi card to 0 last month so it reported the 0 balance on friday so I figured let me take my chances and apply for few other things on my wish list. Not that I need too much credit, however I figured let me get it all out of the way well it wont really affect my average age of accounts much at this point, applied for walmart, approved 600, applied for discove more, approved 1500. Applied today for amex green approved, figured I would push my luck and applied for the delta gold, approved. Thats it for me now, I am going to tend to these accounts and let them age. I dont know my current scores, probably buy one tomorrow just to see. Hopefully this info helps anyone new to credit. I am sure I might have been a bit aggressive than most would advise but I am just thinking ahead that all of these accounts will essentially age together.

Thanks for all of the helpful information I have obtained by reading this forum.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
SpiceIslander
Frequent Contributor

Re: My Credit Journey to date

WOW! That was quite the app spree! Congrats of your approvals. You're right about stopping the apps. Definitely time to garden!

Meg.

FICO: 4/2016 - TU 841 | EQ 840 | EX 837

FNBO 23,600 | Amex SPG 13,900 | Amex BCP 13,400 | Barclays/Sallie Mae13,000 | Discover IT 12,500 | Lowes 10,000 | PLOC 9,300 | NASA FCU 8,700 | Citi Simplicity 6,200 | BOA Platinum+ 6,000 | Achieva CU 5,500 | Chase CSP 5,000 | Sam's Club 3,000 | Sears 900
Message 2 of 7
Cadillac-XTS
Established Contributor

Congats on your sucessful credit journey

Message 3 of 7
dimitrip
Established Member

thanks, I am just glad I didnt have to go the route of first premier and others like them. Capital one doesnt seem like it will grow much but with no annual fee I guess it wont hurt being on my report.  I basically went straight in to prime cards which I hope will grow with me as I responsibly use them. I have no desire to carry balances I dont want to ever find myself caught up in that so it will be interesting to see how these lines can grow from here.

Message 4 of 7
gettnthere
Established Contributor

Congrats on your approvals!

and WELCOME to the Forums! Enjoy them, as there is a wealth of information hereSmiley Very Happy

Starting Score: EQ 609, EX 633(Fako), TU 700
Current Score: EQ 699, EX 758, TU 733
Goal Score: 720 across the board
Garden Club Member-GC Challenge: App free since 10/31/12 Smiley Wink
Message 5 of 7
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@dimitrip wrote:

I am a fairly new immigrant to the US. I just started establishing credit. It was quite difficult to get my first tradeline.I ended up doing some research and found a catalog company called grandpointe that actually reports to all 3 bureaus. I had to pay 50% of the sale and they extended credit for the other half. A couple of months after I applied for the capital one new comer card, they gave me a 500 line. As soon as I had enough history to generate a fico, I applied for the citi forward card and really didnt expect to get it, however an online chat was available, they asked me my address and some other details and then they said I was approved for 2500. I almost fell off my chair. I felt invinsible so started applying like crazy but denied for everything after that. Last month I applied for the chase freedom card and they declined. So I called for reconsideration and the told me to call back the folliwing monday to verify some details with fraud dept. I did and the rep told me approved for 3000. I just payed my citi card to 0 last month so it reported the 0 balance on friday so I figured let me take my chances and apply for few other things on my wish list. Not that I need too much credit, however I figured let me get it all out of the way well it wont really affect my average age of accounts much at this point, applied for walmart, approved 600, applied for discove more, approved 1500. Applied today for amex green approved, figured I would push my luck and applied for the delta gold, approved. Thats it for me now, I am going to tend to these accounts and let them age. I dont know my current scores, probably buy one tomorrow just to see. Hopefully this info helps anyone new to credit. I am sure I might have been a bit aggressive than most would advise but I am just thinking ahead that all of these accounts will essentially age together.

Thanks for all of the helpful information I have obtained by reading this forum.

CONGRATS!!!

Time to settle down in the garden with those new seedlings!!!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 6 of 7
gettnthere
Established Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:

@dimitrip wrote:

CONGRATS!!!

Time to settle down in the garden with those new seedlings!!!

+1

Starting Score: EQ 609, EX 633(Fako), TU 700
Current Score: EQ 699, EX 758, TU 733
Goal Score: 720 across the board
Garden Club Member-GC Challenge: App free since 10/31/12 Smiley Wink
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.