Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Credit Steps are Complete!!!

tag
laz98
Senior Contributor

My Credit Steps are Complete!!!

Hooray!  Capital One came through for me.  As of yesterday, my new CL is $1000.  Smiley Happy

While I know for many of you, that's not terribly impressive, I have not had a non-store card CL of 1k or more since I first ruined my credit at the age of 18, after only about a year of having credit cards.  Smiley Sad  (Just to put that into perspective, I'm 29 now)

I didn't know anything about credit repair, so I thought I just had to wait out the 7 years until my credit would improve.  But I also didn't realize I had to try & rebuild credit in the meantime!  So for a long time, my credit was purely negative, with no indication that I was trying to improve it.  I really thought it would improve on its own!  How silly!

This year, I have closed almost all of my sub-prime credit cards, & am no longer so willing to pay ridiculous fees in order to improve my credit.  I have only $700 left of credit card debt, & then I will be in an entirely different place from when I found these forums.  I have learned so much about managing my credit cards & keeping my utilization low in order to keep my scores high.  Even though I still have baddies on my reports, I am no longer a scared little victim of them.  I am so proud of myself for making the changes needed to achieve better credit!

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: My Credit Steps are Complete!!!

Great job! Congrats on the improvements.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 24
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Congrats!
Message 3 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hooraah! Smiley Happy
Message 4 of 24
Scamp
Valued Contributor

Woohoo, laz!  Good for you!!  Smiley Happy

02/12/09 EX: 701 / 02/08/10 EQ: 719 / 02/08/10 TU: 723

Backdoor Numbers, Credit Scoring 101, Understanding Your FICO Score PDF
Message 5 of 24
score_building
Senior Contributor

knowledge is power Smiley Happy really nice work laz98.  keep up the good work, things continue to get better from here!
DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 6 of 24
Akr_Chels
Valued Member

Wow. That is terrific! Congratulations! How long have you had the Capital One card? I've had them for 2 years and my card limit is only 500.

Message 7 of 24
laz98
Senior Contributor

Thank you everyone!  I didn't know being more credit savvy would be so cool Smiley Very Happy

@ Akr_Chels:  I got my Capital One Card 9/30/08.  I guess your card was not in the Credit Steps program?

Message 8 of 24
Akr_Chels
Valued Member

No LOL I wasn't aware of such a program. I guest I should give them a call perhaps or give their site a visit. Capital One usually tell me no, every time I ask for some then.
Message 9 of 24
laz98
Senior Contributor

@Akr_Chels wrote:
No LOL I wasn't aware of such a program. I guest I should give them a call perhaps or give their site a visit. Capital One usually tell me no, every time I ask for some then.

You can definitely call & ask.  I was under the impression that it's only something you can be enrolled in when you first apply & get approved for the card.  I'm not even sure what their criteria are for getting enrolled!  Just luck of the draw, I guess.

A lot of people here dislike Capital One, but so far, they have held up their end of the bargain, especially with this Credit Steps program.  I even got a CLI between my 1st & 2nd Credit Steps jumps!  I didn't have any problem with my balance transfers, either.  So I am very happy with them, especially compared to the UBER crappy subprime cards I used to have! Smiley Very Happy

Message Edited by laz98 on 04-19-2009 10:05 PM
Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.