cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Denial Rebuttal Letter to CapOne (pronounced "Capone")

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: My Denial Rebuttal Letter to CapOne (pronounced "Capone")

Had I done a little more homework, I wouldn't have applied for it and gone for one of the Citi ThankYou Premium cards or whatever they're called.

I really think more than anything, it's gotta be b/c of having a thin-ish file.

Message 31 of 43
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Why would you even want to send that letter??

Sounds childish more than anything. So you got declined for a CC......

let it go. They don't want your business, don't give it to them. The contents of that letter is borderline inappropriate.

Just my 2 cents since you've asked for it with the post.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 32 of 43
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@LS2982 wrote:

let it go. They don't want your business, don't give it to them. The contents of that letter is borderline inappropriate.

Agree. Glad I'm not the only one missing their sense of humor Smiley Wink
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 33 of 43
android01
Valued Contributor

@webhopper wrote:

@LS2982 wrote:

Agree. Glad I'm not the only one missing their sense of humor Smiley Wink

I agree with this completely.  

Why some people believe that they are entitled to credit from any lender baffles me - regardless of FICO score.  OP - sending a sarcastic, condescending email/letter may make you feel better, but I can guarantee that it's not going to make a bit of difference if Cap one, or any lender, doesn't want to give you credit.  They obviously came to a conclusion, and I'm sorry you don't agree with their decision, but they made one, so move on.  I'm sure the folks at Cap One aren't waking up each morning with your credit application on their minds.  This is yet another post in MANY series of posts where "entitled" individuals feel the need to spout off about those evil lenders who wronged them by not giving the credit they feel they are entitled to..  Get over it.  Everyone else has.  Move on.  

I apologize if this isn't particulary "friendly and supportive", but I just have to call it as I see it sometimes.   Smiley Happy 

EQ Fico 8 - 850
TU Fico 8 - 850
EX Fico 8 - 850
Message 34 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here's where some of you are missing the point.

In the rejection letter I got, CapOne said I was welcome to write back with any comments/questions, as long as my case number was on the piece of correspondence.

As someone who writes for a living-often satirically-I couldn't resist the opportunity to do just that. Writing that note got me warmed up for my real writing of the day.

As someone who reads these boards and sees that CapOne is an easy target for a plethora of reasons-personal and impersonal-I decided to write the letter and share it with anyone who cared to click on it. This wasn't about me feeling better; it was about giving people a well-intentioned laugh.

I could honestly care less if I offended anyone or if some folks didn't think it was funny. Humor is subjective. Some of these posters may think Jay Leno's funny. I don't. And I don't think Jeff Foxworthy or Larry the Cable Guy's funny, either. Big deal. Can't please everybody. 

Am I entitled? I've worked hard to save money and to rehabilitate my credit. I app'd for two cards and got one. That's a .500 batting average. We should all be so lucky to bat that well.

And if someone thought my post was "borderline offensive," I would simply offer that what's really borderline offensive is the way CapOne makes money off of people, the way they treat them as customers, their call center demeanor...you operate the way they do overall...actually that's way beyond borderline offensive.

Message 35 of 43
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

I agree that Cap 1 is offensive. I don't agree with finding humor at the expense of those who can't defend themselves. I don't believe in lowering myself to that standard, but that's just me and my personal convictions. A lot of people won't mind that particulart brand of humor and that's fine.

I have to live with myself and the choice of whether to speak out against things that I think are wrong Smiley Happy

Everyone has different perspective. As a writer, I'm sure you knew your reception of the material by this audience would be mixed.

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 36 of 43
android01
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

In the rejection letter I got, CapOne said I was welcome to write back with any comments/questions, as long as my case number was on the piece of correspondence.

As someone who writes for a living-often satirically-I couldn't resist the opportunity to do just that. Writing that note got me warmed up for my real writing of the day.

As someone who reads these boards and sees that CapOne is an easy target for a plethora of reasons-personal and impersonal-I decided to write the letter and share it with anyone who cared to click on it. This wasn't about me feeling better; it was about giving people a well-intentioned laugh.

I could honestly care less if I offended anyone or if some folks didn't think it was funny. Humor is subjective. Some of these posters may think Jay Leno's funny. I don't. And I don't think Jeff Foxworthy or Larry the Cable Guy's funny, either. Big deal. Can't please everybody. 

Am I entitled? I've worked hard to save money and to rehabilitate my credit. I app'd for two cards and got one. That's a .500 batting average. We should all be so lucky to bat that well.

And if someone thought my post was "borderline offensive," I would simply offer that what's really borderline offensive is the way CapOne makes money off of people, the way they treat them as customers, their call center demeanor...you operate the way they do overall...actually that's way beyond borderline offensive.

I'm sure this thread wouldn't have existed had you been approved. Smiley Happy

EQ Fico 8 - 850
TU Fico 8 - 850
EX Fico 8 - 850
Message 37 of 43
android01
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

As one who writes for a living, I would expect you to consider your audience.  You've posted on a credit card forum that's entirely focused on one one of a few things - credit building, credit repair, credit applications, FICO scores, and the associated experiences with the aforementioned.  I would expect that your satirical humor would be understood if it was presented that way in the first place.  Instead, it was presented as why you were entitled, by how you have rehabilitated your credit, to a line of credit by a lender who didn't appreciate your efforts.  So be it.  We all get it.  Been there, done that. 

If it is borderline offensive to you how CapOne makes money from people, treats their customers poorly, and their inferior call center demeanor, then why in the world would you apply for their product in the first place?  If in fact you do write for a living, and people read what you write, then I would preface my articles with a "satircal"  disclaimer or placing a few "just kiddings" throughout your compositions as to not mislead the reader of your true intentions - unless you really mean exactly what you say.   

EQ Fico 8 - 850
TU Fico 8 - 850
EX Fico 8 - 850
Message 38 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I app'd for 3 and got all 3 in the past year. 1.000 batting average. Hall of Fame... here I come.

Message 39 of 43
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I app'd for 3 and got all 3 in the past year. 1.000 batting average. Hall of Fame... here I come.

+1. We should all be so lucky with a .500 average? Are you kidding? I've never been denied for any card I've ever applied for. It's really not that big of a deal.

I agree with the others in that this whole thing is just childish and immature. It reminds me of a spoilt child with his knickers in a twist, huffing and puffing when he didn't get his way. I can think of a lot of things that warrant writing a letter about, but being denied by CapOne isn't one of them.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 40 of 43
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.