Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Discover Zip Story

tag
DI
Super Contributor

My Discover Zip Story

We have several vending machines scattered throughout the campus.  I never carry cash, so, I always use my cards.  Today, I tried swiping my Discover giftcard and it worked.  I tried to swipe it again and got an error message.  So, I pulled out my debit card and got an error message.  Next, I pulled out my Chase card and got an error message.  I went on to 3 other vending machines and they all wouldn't take a card.

I went all the way to my vehicle to get some change.  I only had enough change to buy one  thing.  Right before I got back to where I was going, I thought about my Discover zip card and if it'd work with the card machine  I've never used the zip card before.  Low and behold, I waved my phone in front the payment  machine and it worked!!!  I never been so happy for a card to work.   Smiley Very Happy

Message 1 of 36
35 REPLIES 35
Imhotrodcrazy
Valued Contributor

Re: My Discover Zip Story

I know my age is going to show in my statement, but, I can't go out without any cash on me.  I always have at least a  couple hundred dollars on me just in  case of an emergency.  While I have my credit card with me at all times,  I honestly feel naked without cash. 

FICO 08
TU 842 12/8/18
EX 840 12/29/18
EQ 842 12/8/18
(NASA 30K) ( Amex 44k ) ( Freedom 10.6K ) ( US Bank Cash+ 20k, LOC 15k ) Winners never quit, and quitters never win
last app 2/15
Message 2 of 36
smc733
Valued Contributor

@Imhotrodcrazy wrote:

I know my age is going to show in my statement, but, I can't go out without any cash on me.  I always have at least a  couple hundred dollars on me just in  case of an emergency.  While I have my credit card with me at all times,  I honestly feel naked without cash. 

I'm with you on that one.  Though I don't carry hundreds, I always have $50 on me in case I find myself in a pinch at any time.

BofA Cash Rewards VS - $25k | Citi Double Cash World MC - $18.9k | Amex BCE - $50k | Discover it - $50k | Chase Freedom Unlimited VS- $10k | Barclay Ring $5k |
Message 3 of 36
ontop
Regular Contributor

Digital cash may be great but it cannot replace everything in our daily life. For instance, a homeless that need help at an intersection and he or she could only accept cash. That's why I always carry at least some cash in my wallet. In fact, in my car also had plentiful of $1, $5 bills.
Starting Score: 547
Current FICO Score: TU 747, EQ 732, EX 742 [10/2014]
Goal FICO Score: 777
Message 4 of 36
Coldness
Contributor

How'd you get Discover to let you test the Zip card? I'd kill to try one out, did you have to request it? 

Message 5 of 36
barbaralee
Established Contributor

I almost never carry cash. I very rarely need to have cash, there  are just so many places that take debit or credit. I may have a dollar or two at the bottom of my purse.

Those vending machines that take plastic are the death of me. Smiley Sad My lack of cash use to work in my favor that I never had change for the vending machines. Within the last month they put a credit swiper in the machines at work and now I find myself grabbing snacks out of those machines at least twice a week. 

Message 6 of 36
way2evil
New Contributor

I got a zip card by posting on Discovers facebook page. They emailed me and sent me a card. Its awesome, I have it stuck on the fob of my car keys. Makes 7-11 stops real easy.

Message 7 of 36
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

OK, here's the idiot question...

What the h*ll is a zip card??

I honestly don't know about it.

Message 8 of 36
score_building
Senior Contributor

@Uborrow-Upay wrote:

OK, here's the idiot question...

What the h*ll is a zip card??

I honestly don't know about it.

me either, came across this:  http://www.discovernetwork.com/paymentsolutions/features/zip.html

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 9 of 36
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

Thanks, score_building! 

I kinda hope that the process is better thought out than its description... 

"Consumers simply touch a payment device to a Zip-enabled contactless reader to make a payment..."

Huh?

Message 10 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.