Super Contributor
DI

My Discover Zip Story

[ Edited ]

We have several vending machines scattered throughout the campus.  I never carry cash, so, I always use my cards.  Today, I tried swiping my Discover giftcard and it worked.  I tried to swipe it again and got an error message.  So, I pulled out my debit card and got an error message.  Next, I pulled out my Chase card and got an error message.  I went on to 3 other vending machines and they all wouldn't take a card.

I went all the way to my vehicle to get some change.  I only had enough change to buy one  thing.  Right before I got back to where I was going, I thought about my Discover zip card and if it'd work with the card machine  I've never used the zip card before.  Low and behold, I waved my phone in front the payment  machine and it worked!!!  I never been so happy for a card to work.   :smileyvery-happy:

Valued Contributor
Imhotrodcrazy

Re: My Discover Zip Story

I know my age is going to show in my statement, but, I can't go out without any cash on me.  I always have at least a  couple hundred dollars on me just in  case of an emergency.  While I have my credit card with me at all times,  I honestly feel naked without cash. 

FICOS
TU 805 12/12/14
EX 806 10/26/14
EQ 829 12/13/14
NASA 30K / / Amex 20k / / Chase Freedom 10.6k / / / / / SD'd US Bank Cash+ 20k, LOC 15k
Goal - At my age, just staying alive
Valued Contributor
smc733

Imhotrodcrazy wrote:

I know my age is going to show in my statement, but, I can't go out without any cash on me.  I always have at least a  couple hundred dollars on me just in  case of an emergency.  While I have my credit card with me at all times,  I honestly feel naked without cash. 

I'm with you on that one.  Though I don't carry hundreds, I always have $50 on me in case I find myself in a pinch at any time.

Regular Contributor
ontop

Digital cash may be great but it cannot replace everything in our daily life. For instance, a homeless that need help at an intersection and he or she could only accept cash. That's why I always carry at least some cash in my wallet. In fact, in my car also had plentiful of $1, $5 bills.
Starting Score: 547
Current FICO Score: TU 747, EQ 732, EX 742 [10/2014]
Goal FICO Score: 777
Contributor
Coldness

How'd you get Discover to let you test the Zip card? I'd kill to try one out, did you have to request it? 

Frequent Contributor
barbaralee

I almost never carry cash. I very rarely need to have cash, there  are just so many places that take debit or credit. I may have a dollar or two at the bottom of my purse.

Those vending machines that take plastic are the death of me. :smileysad: My lack of cash use to work in my favor that I never had change for the vending machines. Within the last month they put a credit swiper in the machines at work and now I find myself grabbing snacks out of those machines at least twice a week. 

In the garden until December 4, 2015
New Contributor
way2evil

I got a zip card by posting on Discovers facebook page. They emailed me and sent me a card. Its awesome, I have it stuck on the fob of my car keys. Makes 7-11 stops real easy.

Valued Contributor
Uborrow-Upay

OK, here's the idiot question...

What the h*ll is a zip card??

I honestly don't know about it.

Senior Contributor
score_building

Uborrow-Upay wrote:

OK, here's the idiot question...

What the h*ll is a zip card??

I honestly don't know about it.

me either, came across this:  http://www.discovernetwork.com/paymentsolutions/features/zip.html

FICOS:
06/13 EX 765 (PSECU) EQ 771 (DCU) TU 779 (Barclays)
Valued Contributor
Uborrow-Upay

Thanks, score_building! 

I kinda hope that the process is better thought out than its description... 

"Consumers simply touch a payment device to a Zip-enabled contactless reader to make a payment..."

Huh?

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}