cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Discover card is not worth much because of the $500 limit...

tag
taxi818
Super Contributor

Re: My Discover card is not worth much because of the $500 limit...

You may disagree. But there is a reason why op got a $500 limit to begin with. Yep. You're right. There is no loyalty. But he never said there was. But there is no way anyone could expect a cli with having a card 2 months. Really? Or even less than 2 months.
Message 11 of 25
AverageJoe1970
Contributor

I have to agree... you just got the card... chill. I haven't used my Disco card in more than 6 months. For fun, I just went in to see what their system would do for a CLI, they just bumped me $5K. I don't use the card because I use 2 other cards for rewards, I will say that Discover is exceptional.

Hang in there... gain some traction w/ Discover - treat the card well and they'll definitely do the same for you.

@mongstradamus wrote:

I think you may be an tad too impatient. IMO you shouldn't expect you to get CLI after first few months. I didn't get my first cli from discover until I was ten months in. I had an pretty low limit and was pretty annoyed like you are right now. Within last year or so was able to get my CL from 1k to 9500 , which is decent CL. I would just be patient your CLI wil come. 

Wasn't always this way. Lessons learned.
Scores: Exp838 || Tu840 || Equ839
Credit Card Collection: Chase Sapphire Reserve 48K || Chase United 43K || Barclays Apple 39K || AMEX CASH 37K || BOA CASH 35K || Apple 25K || FNB AMEX 20K || Chase Amazon 15K ||
Utilization: >1%
Message 12 of 25
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@AverageJoe1970 wrote:

I have to agree... you just got the card... chill. I haven't used my Disco card in more than 6 months. For fun, I just went in to see what their system would do for a CLI, they just bumped me $5K. I don't use the card because I use 2 other cards for rewards, I will say that Discover is exceptional.

Hang in there... gain some traction w/ Discover - treat the card well and they'll definitely do the same for you.

@mongstradamus wrote:

I think you may be an tad too impatient. IMO you shouldn't expect you to get CLI after first few months. I didn't get my first cli from discover until I was ten months in. I had an pretty low limit and was pretty annoyed like you are right now. Within last year or so was able to get my CL from 1k to 9500 , which is decent CL. I would just be patient your CLI wil come. 

Actually, following advice from here, I did get a CLI from discover after less than two monhts, and just got another 16 days later.   See all the threads about the Discover luv button.

Message 13 of 25
taxi818
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@AverageJoe1970 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

Actually, following advice from here, I did get a CLI from discover after less than two monhts, and just got another 16 days later.   See all the threads about the Discover luv button.

Im surprised LTL. you know good as well that is not fair to put a statement out like that. Im sure you did. get in less than 2 months. as you are for sure exceeption to the rule. your scores are well over 800. and i know you did not get a $500 SL and you know this as well. but to expect op. with a $500 bone to get one is just asking way too much.

Message 14 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Grow up and wait.

If you get this card only in late March, what do you expect they can do for you in 2 months? 

I understand the feeling of wanting higher credit limit, but 2 months, really? I mean really!!

Message 15 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Grow up and wait.

If you get this card only in late March, what do you expect they can do for you in 2 months? 

I understand the feeling of wanting higher credit limit, but 2 months, really? I mean really!!

I just can't put through the things I want on that card. It was great when I initially recieved it, but I apped with high 700 scores. Annoying they gave me a $500 limit. I make 70k+ a year and that doesn't include my business income. 

@taxi818 wrote:

Well if you got it in march. you should know the earliest for cli is june. so wait until then. they are pretty good if your profile is not bad. looks like something fell off as your scores are probably much better now. and they will show love to you. ive had mine 9 months now. it went from 2500 to 7500. so it will grow. but not until after the first 90 days. and don't expect a lot then. My first 2 clis were 500 each. both hp's so now. the discover gravy train is in town . so im getting 1k every 16 days. good luck.

Nothing has dropped off. EX and TU have reduced and EQ has gone up since I started my jouney earlier this year. I did not have any credit prior to late 2014 in the USA.

Message 16 of 25
taxi818
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Grow up and wait.

I just can't put through the things I want on that card. It was great when I initially recieved it, but I apped with high 700 scores. Annoying they gave me a $500 limit. I make 70k+ a year and that doesn't include my business income. 

@taxi818 wrote:

Well if you got it in march. you should know the earliest for cli is june. so wait until then. they are pretty good if your profile is not bad. looks like something fell off as your scores are probably much better now. and they will show love to you. ive had mine 9 months now. it went from 2500 to 7500. so it will grow. but not until after the first 90 days. and don't expect a lot then. My first 2 clis were 500 each. both hp's so now. the discover gravy train is in town . so im getting 1k every 16 days. good luck.

Nothing has dropped off. EX and TU have reduced and EQ has gone up since I started my jouney earlier this year. I did not have any credit prior to late 2014 in the USA.

I understand op. so the reason they even gave you card is they like fresh new reports like yours. all we are saying is time is King in the credit world. nothing is overnight. they are not concerned with whoever else gave you credit. of course you can close card. but if you want to look at things long term. its time to wait it out. just like each and every one of us on this forum. i had a td bank card. just like you $500 limit. after about 18 months. of no movement. and finally saying ok. this is sad. i closed it. but no way did I say that after 2 months. but in any case. good luck.

Message 17 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm in the same situation. I opened my card in November with a starting limit of $500 as well. In March, I got a BCE from Amex with a $7500 limit after the 3x increase. Discover won't budge to this day. Only reason is same as yours: "Account is too new." Not sure when this will disappear. Its already been 6 months.
Message 18 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

After three months . Let the statement cut with high utilization. And keep the balance for 15-20 days after. You will get an auto CLI.p

Message 19 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Grow up and wait.

I understand now. You aren't from the US, had credit out of the country, and you come here and it's like starting over with that Discover limit. Hang in there.

Message 20 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.