cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Discover card is not worth much because of the $500 limit...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

My Discover card is not worth much because of the $500 limit...

I remember when I first got it and it in late March and it was my golden card. I worshipped it like it was magical, spent money and was continuously PIF every couple of days. The $500 was annoying since most of my purchases were $100+. Then I got the Journey, then the Venture and finally the AmEx.

I'm running about 3k on my AmEx each month and 2k on the Venture each month and 200-300 on the Discover. Discover only for movies/eating out. 

I wanted to make use of the Discover Deals, for example the 10% cashback bonus for booking a hotel through Orbitz. The Hotel was coming to $636, so I couldn't use Discover for that. I ended up booking directly with Hilton and using the $30 statement credit with AmEx Offers.

I have had the Discover card from end of March. Tried to get a CLI 4-5 times and same message, Account is too new. I don't know if I even want this card anymore. I'm thinking of getting the CSP + PRG early next year and sockdrawering the Journey, Venture and Discover.

Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: My Discover card is not worth much because of the $500 limit...

@Anonymous wrote:

I remember when I first got it and it in late March and it was my golden card. I worshipped it like it was magical, spent money and was continuously PIF every couple of days. The $500 was annoying since most of my purchases were $100+. Then I got the Journey, then the Venture and finally the AmEx.

I'm running about 3k on my AmEx each month and 2k on the Venture each month and 200-300 on the Discover. Discover only for movies/eating out. 

I wanted to make use of the Discover Deals, for example the 10% cashback bonus for booking a hotel through Orbitz. The Hotel was coming to $636, so I couldn't use Discover for that. I ended up booking directly with Hilton and using the $30 statement credit with AmEx Offers.

I have had the Discover card from end of March. Tried to get a CLI 4-5 times and same message, Account is too new. I don't know if I even want this card anymore. I'm thinking of getting the CSP + PRG early next year and sockdrawering the Journey, Venture and Discover.

Mine was about 3 months old before the CLI's started to happen. Just give it some time....end of June or early July you should be good to go from my experience anyway.

Message 2 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

GL 

Message 3 of 25
taxi818
Super Contributor

Well if you got it in march. you should know the earliest for cli is june. so wait until then. they are pretty good if your profile is not bad. looks like something fell off as your scores are probably much better now. and they will show love to you. ive had mine 9 months now. it went from 2500 to 7500. so it will grow. but not until after the first 90 days. and don't expect a lot then. My first 2 clis were 500 each. both hp's so now. the discover gravy train is in town . so im getting 1k every 16 days. good luck.

Message 4 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't know if I even want this card anymore. I'm thinking of getting the CSP + PRG early next year and sockdrawering the Journey, Venture and Discover.

No AF, sockdrawer.  

AF, just get rid of them if you don't use them.

I actually do travel so I use the Venture often.  Discover is getting use this quarter for restaurants...it otherwise sits in the SD

Message 5 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got mine in December with a $500 limit. Tried for cli in March, declined. Tried in April by phone declined for too many new accounts, limited credit experience. I asked for an analyst and boy was she nasty. Told her I had much higher limits with other cards and she said they don't give huge increases. I only asked to be raised to $1000. She said no, there was a reason why my SL was so low.

Told her I needed to see some movement on the account limit or I would need to close the account. She asked me if I wanted to be transferred to that department so I could get the account closed now. I told her no to mark my file what I told her. She said ok, and I hung up.

10 days later I received an e-mail that my new account limit was $800.

Will try them again in July.

Wait the 3 months and call them. If that doesn't work try again in July. Don't expect a huge increase but be persistent. 

Message 6 of 25
newhis
Valued Contributor

DW got Discover with $500 02/14, not a single CLI until a few days ago, auto-CLI to $3,000. My first SP CLI was after 6th statement. I read that some people get increases after 3 months.

Everybody want a card with more than $500. Discover is no AF, so SD and only use it for 5% shopping, they will let you increase the limit in the future, just by patient. Good luck.

Message 7 of 25
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

I think you may be an tad too impatient. IMO you shouldn't expect you to get CLI after first few months. I didn't get my first cli from discover until I was ten months in. I had an pretty low limit and was pretty annoyed like you are right now. Within last year or so was able to get my CL from 1k to 9500 , which is decent CL. I would just be patient your CLI wil come. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 8 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Uv had mine since January and got 4 CLI's so far . Just give it a little more time and you'll get an increase if your file is clean .
Message 9 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mongstradamus wrote:

I think you may be an tad too impatient. IMO you shouldn't expect you to get CLI after first few months. I didn't get my first cli from discover until I was ten months in. I had an pretty low limit and was pretty annoyed like you are right now. Within last year or so was able to get my CL from 1k to 9500 , which is decent CL. I would just be patient your CLI wil come. 

I disagree with this statement. If you are unhappy with a card, or see it as a waste, then kill it. Credit card companies aren't particularly loyal to you, so you shouldn't feel bad about not being loyal to them.

Discover gives people the option to get a SP CLI after the 3rd month. If your requests aren't being considered, then Discover clearly doesn't value you as a customer.

You have three options:

1. Fix what they said is wrong with your profile and apply again.

2. Close the card.

3. Do nothing.

Make a decision and run with it. Don't feel bad, as I personally feel that many here think AAoA is the be all and end all of scoring. I have a score of 775 and my AAoA is 2 years.

Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.