Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Experience - Chase Freedom and Discover It

tag
BrandonSS
Frequent Contributor

My Experience - Chase Freedom and Discover It

Been a while since I've made a post!  Been gardening after purchasing my first house last January (thanks to this forum!).  

Chase:

Chase has never given me a card.  They always turned me down (2 times) when i was trying to rebuild so I ended up with a Capital One Card that started with a $300 limit and it has grown to $1500 where it has been for the past year or so.  We are doing some spring cleaning and upgrades to the house so it would be great to get 5% cash back that Chase Freedom offers starting in April instead of using my Capt 1 card for 1% and paying it off a few times through the month.  I opted to try for the third time, 1st time since buying my home, to get the Freedom card.  I applied yesterday online...... Success!  Approved!! I jumped a little in my office in excitement as I felt like I finally beat the monster named Chase!  However, I quickly settled down as I realized they didn't tell me the credit limit they awarded me.  Once I got home I gave them a call and heard the dreaded automated message say, "$500".  No!!!!!!!! DAMN YOU CHASE!!!  I called again to the backdoor number found on this forum and spoke to a barely English speaking CSR that told me that Chase would once again have to pull my credit in order to do a manual review.  At this point, after all my denials with Chase and my frustration I told her flat out, "NO THANKS!."  I couldn't believe that they could not use the application pull and review it.  

Discover It:

After the call and disappointment (and anger at Chase - yes, I hate them lol), I browsed the forum and found that the Discover It card has similar rewards including 5% home improvement cash back this next quarter.   I hastily rushed over to the discover website. Closed the screen a few times thinking to myself, "maybe I should just live with the 1% cash back from Capital One."  After a few more minutes I decided, what the heck I'll see what Discover does for me.  I filled out the form and it instantly approved.  Awesome!  Now time for the dreaded call.... I called and spoke with a very happy gentleman that verified my information and confirmed that I had been approved.  Then he said the words I needed to hear....  "Your Credit Limit is $6000, does that suit your needs?"  Yes it DOES!  Finally a larger card with great benefits and no annual fee!  

Cliff notes:

Chase approved for only $500, would not do a CLI without running my credit again and no guarantees if they did. (this is typical practice of Chase)

Discover approved for $6000 limit on the first shot

My info:

EQ - 712

TU - unknown

EX - unknown

My score watch for EQ didn't alert me of any new inquiries or score changes so I'm not sure who either pulled yet.

Current Cards:

IMCU Credit Union Card - $1000 (never asked for more since I never use it as it has no benefits other than adding to my AAoA and available credit)

Capital One Rewards - $1500 limit 

HHGregg Store Card - $1500 limit

I do not carry any balances on any of the cards.  

Only baddies on my CR are from 2007 which is consecutive months on 2 Sallie Mae accounts - 30-60-90.

Hope this info helps someone!  Back to the garden I go.

PS:  Should I just kill the Chase card before it even gets here?  I dont want a measily $500 card to be on my reports dragging down my AAoA.   If I never activate it, will it show up on my CR's (aside from the inquiry).

Thanks!!!

3/2010 - EX 555 (FAKO) EQ 542 TU 548
GOAL: 680+
Goal exceeded! - EQ - 712 TU - 701
2/2015 - 750+ across the board!
Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
john398
Senior Contributor

Re: My Experience - Chase Freedom and Discover It

Are you sure you called this number for chase: Chase: 888-609-7805  Credit Analyst/App recon

Seems like I always have a very knowledgable person when I have called, I would try again, they usually will go over you file with you

Update edit this is the right #  888-245-0625

Message 2 of 24
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Try again with Chase. I have noticed they like to match existing CL's which would have at least been $1500.

Good luck.

Oh, By the way... Welcome back, congrats on your approvals and welcome to the Chase/ Discover Family.
Message 3 of 24
Rhaeny
Valued Contributor

Congratulations on your success with Discover!!!

But I encourage you to call back Chase and talk to someone else. They flat out denied me last week and the 1st rep told me to wait 2 years and try again. I waited and stewed on the situation and picked up the phone and called that back door number AGAIN. After pleading my case I was approved for $5k without a hp.

It is all about who you get on the other end of the phone that determines your fate. Take it as dialing for dollars because you have nothing to lose at this point.

Good luck. BTW, you may have to call a few more times Smiley Wink.

Major CC's - Barclay's ($5.5K) | Barclay's Sallie Mae MC ($5K) | DCU ($7.5K) | Discover IT ($1.4K) | Genisys Visa ($1.4K) | NFCU Visa ($22K) | Navcheck ($15K) | Chase Freedom ($5K) | SDFCU Visa ($8K) | Amex BCP ($9.5K) | Amex Delta ($10K) |Store CC's| -Amazon ($4K) | Catherines ($850) | JCP ($4K) | Macy's ($1.7K) | Avenue ($850) | Victoria's Secret ($1.4K) | Walmart ($4.1K) | Paypal SC ($1.3K) | HSN ($2.5) | Sears ($2.6K) | Sams Club ($4.1K) |Goal|: Age with grace to 750 across the board |Last app|: 3/3/2014
Message 4 of 24
BrandonSS
Frequent Contributor

john,  Thanks!

I actually called the first number this time before you edited. She insisted to send me on to a Customer Service Rep to initiate a CLI request.  I declined and politely explained that the last CSR they sent me to denied my request to review without pulling it again.  She put me on hold and got approval to do a manual review herself.  She asked me a couple questions about the Sallie Mae baddies (I thought they were on deferment) and then she updated my profile and approved the card for $2000 since the Discover $6000 limit is not yet reporting, obviously.  

$2000 is much better!  

And for everyone's information, she told me they pulled TransUnion.  However she cannot give me the score, bummer. 

Thank you again!

3/2010 - EX 555 (FAKO) EQ 542 TU 548
GOAL: 680+
Goal exceeded! - EQ - 712 TU - 701
2/2015 - 750+ across the board!
Message 5 of 24
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

What's a Sapphire Freedom? Smiley Tongue

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 6 of 24
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 7 of 24
FocusedAndDetermined
Senior Contributor

Congrats on the approvals.  At least, you can use your Discover It  to grab th 5x point on home improvement.  Once the high CL hits your reports, Chase might up your limit with them with only a SP.  Several people have posted about getting suprpirse CLIs.  Hope this is the case for you.

Message 8 of 24
john398
Senior Contributor

Wahoo very nice bump congrats on Chase

Message 9 of 24
2011beginnings
Frequent Contributor

Interesting experience.

I applied for Chase last month and got a $10000 limit between two cards (apped within a week of each other).

I just got a Discover It Friday and got a $2000 limit.

As others have said, some banks seem to love you while others just feel "eh" towards you. Smiley Happy

Congrats!
PenFed AMEX: $5500 | AMEX BCE: $8300 | AMEX E: $5000 | BofA BBR: $5000 | Discover It: $6500 | CSP: $11500 | CF: $5500 | Citi DIVIDEND: $5700 | CITI TYP: $4600 | BofA CR: $7500 | CAP ONE Q: $3000 |

TU: 722 / EX: 763 / EQ: 735
Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.