Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Experience with Amex Purchase Protection

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

My Experience with Amex Purchase Protection

I just wanted to share my recent experience using the Purchase Protection benefit of my Amex Zync card. I personally was curious about how this benefit worked and I thought others might be as well. If anyone else has experience using Amex Purchase Protection please feel free to share your story as well.

For anyone not aware of this benefit, basically when you use your AMEX card you get 90 days of protection against accidental damage or theft. You file a claim and they repair or replace the item or reimburse you the purchase price. 

Anyway, on to my story. I had purchased a cheap but fancy looking glass water pipe (aka glass bong) online for $69 as a gag gift - long story. While I was preparing to gift rap it I set it down on my counter and I guess I hit it a little too hard in just the right spot and it broke. Then I remembered that I had used my Zync card to buy it and I figured I might as well give them a call since I was curious about this benefit anyway.  I was about to call and I started thinking about it, should I really call a company that is extending credit to me and tell them that I broke a bong? I was worried they would think I was some kind of stoner who got high and broke a bong and since I had only had the card for about 6 month I was a little worried that I would receive some sort of AA. I thought about it for a while and decided to give it a shot anyway.

I called the number they have listed on the website and explained what had happened to a very nice phone rep. I called it a glass water pipe and he asked if it was a smoking pipe, I said it was a tobacco smoking pipe, I was a bit nervous about what his reaction would be, but he didn't even blink an eye at that. He asked me a few questions about the transaction, like when I made the purchase, what the company I bought it from was called, the total amount of the transaction and the price of the broken item. He then told me that I would be contacted soon if they need any additional information and he told me not to throw away the broken item. The whole phone call was under 5 minutes.

It was a Friday when I called so I was expecting to hear from them Monday and figured I would have to send them pictures of the broken pipe. Because it was only $69 I didn't expect to have to mail it to them but I was prepared to if they asked. So Monday morning I logged into my Amex account and I see a $69 credit PURCHASE PROTECTION BENEFIT PAYMENT. A few days later I received a letter in the mail saying that I had received my credit and the case was closed. I was genuinely surprised just how easy the whole process was.

I am sure this would have been an entirely different process if it were an expensive item. But I am very happy with the service I received. 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
tsquad131
Frequent Contributor

Re: My Experience with Amex Purchase Protection

my sister recently had to file a claim for her glasses she bought a couple months ago from lenscrafters for $270 and she bought it with her amex delta gold card and she got the credit on her card for the $270 from amex and she took the glasses back to lenscrafters to get fixed and they said they would take care of it for free because they can see that she didnt abuse the glasses and it was a manufacturing defect so she got paid $270 to get the glasses fixed pretty sweet.

amazon
Message 2 of 7
Open123
Super Contributor

This is an example where making a purchase with an Amex even for less rewards can make sense.  

When it comes to claims, unlike most issuers, Amex can and will often dispense with the written procedures for the convenience of the cardmember.  Sort of the anti-Citi approach.

Message 3 of 7
CruzImperial
Established Contributor

Wow!!! Bear with me while i pick up my jaw but that's all i can say right now.
Fico Scores: . Walmart TU 748 . Garden 8/19 2014 .

Cap One Journey 500 | Discover IT 500 | GE Home Design 5.6k | GE HHGREGG 5k | Amex Zync NPSL | Amex BCE 6k | Citi Forward 4.2k | Citi Dividend 3k | GE BrandsMart 1k | GE Lowes 8.5k | Discover Walmart 7.5k | Barclays Apple 2.5k | BoA CR 2.7k | CSP 7.2k | Platinum Prestige 5k | IT Chrome 4k | Slate 2.3k |
Message 4 of 7
MsLadyRover
Valued Contributor

That's great! Does the Purchase Protection automatically come on all their cards?

Starting Score: 639 (Walmart TU)
Current Score: TU 715 (Barclay) EX 685 (myFICO) EQ 697 (myFICO)
Goal Score: 700 Across the Board (Mortgage Goal Achieved 1/31/2012!)

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 7
Open123
Super Contributor

@MsLadyRover wrote:

That's great! Does the Purchase Protection automatically come on all their cards?

Yes, standard feature on all Amex cards.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes I believe it does come on all Amex cards. 

From American Express site - When you charge a covered purchase with your Card, the Purchase Protection protects that item if it is stolen or accidentally damaged, including vandalism. You are covered up to $1,000 per Occurrence, up to $50,000 per Card account per policy year. The Purchase Protection is in EXCESS of other sources of indemnity.

I think the limits on the Platinum and Centurion are higher also.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.