cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My FICO Equifax score no longer accurate?

tag
jonmartin
Regular Contributor

My FICO Equifax score no longer accurate?

My FICO online score is reading about 25 points higher then two lenders I apped for in the last couple days whats up with that? I apped for a Discover More card and the score they said I had was 25 points lower then the number on My Fico score. I thought this was some sort of CC enhanced score so I brushed it off. But I also apped for a used car and they said my score was exactly the same as Discover said what gives?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

Re: My FICO Equifax score no longer accurate?

the myfico equifax version here is beacon 5.0 so you would want to make sure discover is using the same model but i doubt they are. nfcu uses the same model sold here

NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 2 of 8
CribDuchess
Established Contributor

Well, it's highly likely the score for the used car app was based on an auto-enhanced FICO score.  Not sure what model Discover uses, but perhaps it was a CC enhanced score, whereas the one available here at MyFico is not CC enhanced?  Just a guess there.  I'm sure the score being the same for both the auto loan app and Discover app was just a coincidence.  I'm sure someone way more knowledgeable than me will chime in soon.  Smiley Happy
FICOs: TU08 842 EQ08 850 EX08 850

My Wallet: Amex Gold NPSL; Amex Optima Platinum $25K; Amex BCE $12K; Apple Card $20K; BofA Travel Rewards Visa Sig $67.6K; Cap1 Quicksilver Visa Sig $10K; CSP $28.2K; Chase Freedom $13K; Chase Freedom Unlimited $21.4K; Citi Costco Visa $19.3K; Citi Double Cash $13.5K; Citi Simplicity Visa $23.3K; Discover IT $50K; Fidelity Visa $25K; NFCU Flagship Visa Sig $40K; NFCU More Rewards Amex $30K; PenFed Plat Rewards Visa Sig $50K; Sears MC $10.1K; US Bank Altitude Go Visa Sig $20K; US Bank Cash+ Visa Sig $26K; Wells Fargo Rewards Visa Sig $14K
Message 3 of 8
jordanmedical
Established Contributor

When I had my lender pull, it was Beacon 5 so I know that's the version my lender uses.

-Rebuilding with CapOne Cash: $1.5k, NFCU cashRewards $8.5K, NavCheck $5K, Wal-Mart: $1.1K, Sam's: $1.2K, Amazon: $1.9K, Apple Barclay: $3K, Haverty's: $1.5K, GE capital: $5K, Sears: $250(AU), PP MC:$1.5K, CareCredit:$3K (closed 1st home 05/08/13)
Starting Score: 492-TU04, 480-EX FICO V2, 467-EQ Beacon 5 (Via Mortgage PreQual March '12)
Current Score: EX,EQ,TU (lender pull): 652, 659, 689, Walmart TU FICO: 691 (05/13)
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 4 of 8
gettnthere
Established Contributor

Beacon 5.0 is very popular among alot of lenders, just about every lending institution in my area uses Beacon 5.0. but its likely that your lender may have used a diffrent scoring version. Ive always wondered what the difference in a CC enhanced Score is? can someone explain to me?

Starting Score: EQ 609, EX 633(Fako), TU 700
Current Score: EQ 699, EX 758, TU 733
Goal Score: 720 across the board
Garden Club Member-GC Challenge: App free since 10/31/12 Smiley Wink
Message 5 of 8
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Discover uses a Vantage type of score... they don't use Fico from my experience.
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 6 of 8
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@webhopper wrote:
Discover uses a Vantage type of score... they don't use Fico from my experience.

I don't think that's universally correct Web; from this forum and others Discover appears to be using a credit-enhanced version of EQ, and we think 9.0 rather than the 5.0 that mortgage lenders use (myFico Beacon 5.0 = your EQ mortgage score guarunteed right now).

Regarding credit-enhanced in general for getnthere; while we don't know specifics, we can make some assumptions from the auto-enhanced industry option - namely, that they give much heavier weight to revolving credit lines in terms of payment history, and judging from the scores people have anecdotally reported on credit card applications, I have a suspicion that it doesn't look quite as far back as the typical FICO does in terms of past pain.  I'm making this judgement from people who are rebuilding and report scores higher than their Beacon 5.0 and yet had lates / CO's on credit cards before; however, this is a pure estimate and could well likely be wrong.

In any event, as a theoretical example,  a car repo under the bankcard enhanced would hurt less than it would on the auto enhanced... and probably the normal "classic" score would have it somewhere in between those two for importance.

        
Message 7 of 8
gettnthere
Established Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@webhopper wrote:

I don't think that's universally correct Web; from this forum and others Discover appears to be using a credit-enhanced version of EQ, and we think 9.0 rather than the 5.0 that mortgage lenders use (myFico Beacon 5.0 = your EQ mortgage score guarunteed right now).

Regarding credit-enhanced in general for getnthere; while we don't know specifics, we can make some assumptions from the auto-enhanced industry option - namely, that they give much heavier weight to revolving credit lines in terms of payment history, and judging from the scores people have anecdotally reported on credit card applications, I have a suspicion that it doesn't look quite as far back as the typical FICO does in terms of past pain.  I'm making this judgement from people who are rebuilding and report scores higher than their Beacon 5.0 and yet had lates / CO's on credit cards before; however, this is a pure estimate and could well likely be wrong.

In any event, as a theoretical example,  a car repo under the bankcard enhanced would hurt less than it would on the auto enhanced... and probably the normal "classic" score would have it somewhere in between those two for importance.

ahhhh ook makes sense now, i had never heard of it before coming to these forums. thanks for the clarification Revelate Smiley Wink

Starting Score: EQ 609, EX 633(Fako), TU 700
Current Score: EQ 699, EX 758, TU 733
Goal Score: 720 across the board
Garden Club Member-GC Challenge: App free since 10/31/12 Smiley Wink
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.