Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My FIRST adverse change in years

tag
MattH
Senior Contributor

My FIRST adverse change in years

AMEX is increasing the point spread above prime rate for my purchase APR to prime plus 8.99% along with some other tightening of trigger points for various penalties.   Their notice begins "we are making several changes to our card products in response to the challenging environment..."

As a practical matter the APRs on my cards have no effect since my wife and I always pay in full, the mortgage is the only interest we pay.  But I am somewhat offended on principle: I've had my AMEX card since 1982 with an outstanding payment history, my FICO scores are all near or above 800, my history is very very clean.

TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: My FIRST adverse change in years

I never pay attention to purchase APRs unless they are at 0%.  So mine may have gone up, or down, without me realizing.

And here I was thinking it was strange when my dad told me last night that he doesn't pay attention to his credit limits, as he never gets even close. 

Message 2 of 12
Watchmann
Valued Contributor

@MattH wrote:

AMEX is increasing the point spread above prime rate for my purchase APR to prime plus 8.99% along with some other tightening of trigger points for various penalties.   Their notice begins "we are making several changes to our card products in response to the challenging environment..."

As a practical matter the APRs on my cards have no effect since my wife and I always pay in full, the mortgage is the only interest we pay.  But I am somewhat offended on principle: I've had my AMEX card since 1982 with an outstanding payment history, my FICO scores are all near or above 800, my history is very very clean.

Yeah, got a similar note last month.  Fortunately there was no mention of them changing the purchase APR from the current scheme of Prime + 2.49%.  Only cash advances and default rates if I miss a payment.  They also raised the foreign exchange rate to 2.7%.  IMO this is a ripoff.  I don't travel much overseas anymore, but I used to travel extensively in foreign countries and AMEX always had the best foreign exchange rates (compared to Visa and MC).  They were the interbank rates with no silly surcharges.  Now they tack on this 2.7% charge.  Don't think it is justified, but they see it as as easy money, especially for business travellers who just charge it off on their expense reports.  I wouldn't be surprised if corporate accounts don't get some sort of kickback on the foreign exchange charges.  It is another way of them skewing their business back to the business side of things. 
Message Edited by Watchmann on 11-29-2008 10:32 PM
Message 3 of 12
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Once they (and other banks) start shaking the money tree hard, everyone's going to get a bit rattled.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@haulingthescoreup wrote:
Once they (and other banks) start shaking the money tree hard, everyone's going to get a bit rattled.

Let's just hope that account fees don't get in fashion. That's something that I cannot put up with, because I don't really spend enough to justify anything like that.

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I can live with no credit cards at all. Did just fine for years.
Message 6 of 12
MattH
Senior Contributor

CITI just raised my wife's APR; as in my case it has no practical importance because she never pays it, but like me she is somewhat irritated.

TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
Message 7 of 12
MattH
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Let's just hope that account fees don't get in fashion. That's something that I cannot put up with, because I don't really spend enough to justify anything like that.

Well, others have posted in this forum about CCs imposing monthly fees.  If anybody other than AMEX tries to start charging me any monthly or annual fees, I'm gonna cancel that card (for AMEX I make an exception because it's my oldest account, since 1982, and I want to keep that age).

Message 8 of 12
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

You know, I used to be peeved at myself for having only co-branded store cards (store + Mastercard, Visa, etc) from the big banks, and my straight banking cards from credit unions, but I'm starting to feel like I might have dodged a bullet. So far, at any rate.

Love my CU cards.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

MattH,

I feel your pain.  My latest statement for my Blue also included the APR increase.  The account has a zero balance.  I don't get it - I have had an Amex card since 1987.  My utility is low, I have never had a baddie, I do not go on apping sprees.

When I called, the CS rep apologized and said that the APR increase was pretty much across the board.

My response - I opened a Citi Platinum Amex card.  And, I have had nothing but trouble since opening the card. Smiley Mad If you look, I have a thread about the Citi card.

Amex has gone postal.  Yesterday, I got another pre approved application for the Platinum card.  Thanks, but no thanks.

Message Edited by Scout1965 on 11-30-2008 05:21 PM
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.