Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My First CLD

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

My First CLD

Just learned that the CL for my EmigrantDirect.com MasterCard, a cash rewards card issued by Barclays, was reduced from $25K to $14.4K. The notice cited "your spending history...you are only using a small portion of your available credit".

I really can't argue with that, since I typically charge $150 - 200 per month to this card & always PIF. But I also wonder if I can expect to see CLDs on other cards for much the same reason. For example, our L.L. Bean Visa card, also issued by Barclays, carries a $30K CL. We use this infrequently - once every couple of months - & always PIF.

Because of longstanding relationships with other banks, we have other high-limit cards that we use sporadically (& always PIF). For example, we have 2 BOA cards with a total CL of $54K, 3 Citi cards with a total CL of $36.9K & 2 Chase cards that total $31.5K. Until now, I thought that our long (over 20 years with Citi), spotless payment histories would immunize us against CLDs, but I see now that I was wrong.

Can anyone else report a similar experience?
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
oracles
Valued Contributor

Re: My First CLD

Sorry to hear what has happen to you OP, but unfortunately, now credit cards are reducing limits if they see that you don't use it. Due to today's times, companies are doing whatever they can to reduce risk. I would advise you not to close the account and weather the storm. After this time period, you may be able to restore your credit limit. Keep your balances low during this time, so you can keep util% low and fico score up.

Hope this helps, keep us updated
Message 2 of 9
smallfry
Senior Contributor

Jim that's really not that bad. They knocked me down from 13K to 2K. 
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@oracles wrote:
Sorry to hear what has happen to you OP, but unfortunately, now credit cards are reducing limits if they see that you don't use it. Due to today's times, companies are doing whatever they can to reduce risk. I would advise you not to close the account and weather the storm. After this time period, you may be able to restore your credit limit. Keep your balances low during this time, so you can keep util% low and fico score up.

Hope this helps, keep us updated
Thanks, oracles. I plan to do as you suggest & keep the account open. I'm not terribly upset by this because I have plenty of open credit - over $250K, of which I rarely use more than 3%. So I'm in no danger of bumping my head. 

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@smallfry wrote:
Ouch! I'm sorry to hear that, smallfry. Are they trying to pick up some more money by zapping you with overlimit fees?

Message 5 of 9
smallfry
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@smallfry wrote:
Ouch! I'm sorry to hear that, smallfry. Are they trying to pick up some more money by zapping you with overlimit fees?

JIm I don't do late fees or overlimit fees. Juniper knocked my Sea Miles card down from 13-2 for not enough usage so since I did not need the line I closed their sorry behinds down. 

Message 6 of 9
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Juni / Barclays is well know for this kind of thing. Did you apply for too many new cards or did you do some thing that changed your spending or payment pattern? It is one of the very finiky companies I have heard of about doing the CLD's and Card Cancellations.
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Red1Blue wrote:
Juni / Barclays is well know for this kind of thing. Did you apply for too many new cards or did you do some thing that changed your spending or payment pattern? It is one of the very finiky companies I have heard of about doing the CLD's and Card Cancellations.
We did apply for 5 new cards during the 2nd half of 2008. Those new cards added $60K to our available credit. Perhaps that was the trigger. We haven't changed our spending habits, though, & as far as payments are concerned, we always, always, always PIF. (The last time we carried a balance on any card was early in the 1st Reagan administration.)
Barclays still hasn't touched the $30K limit on our L.L. Bean Visa. 
Didn't realize that Barclays/Juniper had a reputation for this kind of behavior. That's good to know. Thanks for that information. 

Message 8 of 9
smallfry
Senior Contributor

Tell the truth I am glad to be rid of Juniper.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.