cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My First Preapproval Since BK - Discover!!!

tag
visorboy1974
Valued Contributor

My First Preapproval Since BK - Discover!!!

Got my first preapproved card offer since my BK7 (2006) in the mail from Discover today. Now the question is...do I want to apply for it? 

15 months 0% APR (17.99% after). No guarantee of a high CL. 

I already have over $100K in lines...but I wonder how much I'd diversify my portfolio with a Discover. Ahhhhh...decisions decisions! 

FICO Scores Updated 07/15 EQ08 748 EX08 748 TU08 818
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
bamagirl1
Established Contributor

Re: My First Preapproval Since BK - Discover!!!

congrats..I know it's kind of exciting when you start getting pre-approvals in the mail..In my experience, Discover hasn't given me my highest CL but I do like the rewards and their online shopping site/tool is great and you can earn extra points..They also pretty regularly for me offer some pretty good BT offers..

~01/2008 Ficos TU 571-EX 647-EQ 652~
~3/21/2009 Ficos TU 705 EX 702 EQ 692~
~9/9/09 Ficos TU 718 EQ 693 EX???
~06/25/12 Ficos TU 719 EQ 677 EX??
Message 2 of 11
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

Do you need that card? I've been starting to get more "pre-approvals" as well, but I just rip them up b/c they aren't part of my end goal in what i'm wanting to achieve. Some are "crap" cards but other are actually good cards with 0%, no AF, yada yada, but I don't want to just try to get them b/c its another card. If Discover fits in to what you're trying to achieve then I'd say give it a try if everything is in place.

Either way, congrats!

-John

Learning from my past and rebuilding..

BK discharged 1/10/17
scores: EQ 659 | TU 630 | EX 659

QS 3.8K | WF 500 | Cabela's 3k | ACU 500 |

Message 3 of 11
Essence
Contributor

I think it's a great card and company, but as others have said, don't apply just to apply!
Message 4 of 11
kimmiller112
Frequent Contributor

I love my Discover card for the cash back, the bonus categories and for the Discover shopping.  I also think their customer service is great.  Take a look at their website and if you think that the rewards they offer would work for you, then go for it.  If they won't work or if you just aren't interested, no need in getting another card to what you already have.

Barclays USAir World MC $8300 - DCU $7500 - USAA World MC $7000 - PayPal Extras MC (GE) $5500 - Chase Saphire Preferred $5000 - Discover It $6000 - Barclays Sallie May $2700 - Chase Freedom $1000 - Capital One $8500 (business) - store cards ranging from $500-$9500
Message 5 of 11
CreditChampion
Frequent Contributor

What does your current portfolio look like? When was the bankruptcy discharged?
Fico Scores:800+Club

Marvel MC 25K AMEX BCE 18K AMEX Blue Sky 13.6K AMEX BCE 13.5K AMEX Zync
NPSL(AU) Citi Double Cash 14.5K PenFed Plat Rewards 14.5K Citi Forward 10.3k Discover it 9.5K Wells Fargo Cash Back 7.2K BankAmericard Better Balance $700 Chase Freedom $500 Capital One Quicksilver $6K Capital One Platinum (AU) $500 Capital One Secured Card (AU) $251(Closed) PenFed PLOC 14K
PenFed Promise 5K
Message 6 of 11
visorboy1974
Valued Contributor

@CreditChampion wrote:
What does your current portfolio look like? When was the bankruptcy discharged?

Discharged in 5/06.  

Current lines are:  

24.2K Rewards Visa

20K Visa

20K LOC

17K Rewards Visa

10K MC

8K Visa Siggy

$3K Rewards Visa

$3K Store

$2.5K Store

As you can see, I have plenty in TLs...just don't know if I want to add a card with a lower starting limit, as Discover is known for.  

Message 7 of 11
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

visorboy1974, not wanting to be a bummer here, but a portfolio is something of value that you own, such as stocks or bonds or real estate. 

No one has a portfolio of debt.  It's just debt, or the opportunity for debt.

Your credit lines seem to be fine.  No need to get another piece of plastic just for the sake of having it.

Pass on it, although I do like Discover.  You just don't seem to need it.

Message 8 of 11
visorboy1974
Valued Contributor

@Uborrow-Upay wrote:

visorboy1974, not wanting to be a bummer here, but a portfolio is something of value that you own, such as stocks or bonds or real estate. 

No one has a portfolio of debt.  It's just debt, or the opportunity for debt.

Your credit lines seem to be fine.  No need to get another piece of plastic just for the sake of having it.

Pass on it, although I do like Discover.  You just don't seem to need it.

Now you're just getting technical here!  

I like my portfolio of CARD DESIGNS!!!  Smiley Tongue

Agreed with you on the 'pass' thought.  As much as I'd like it, I realy don't have much use for it at the time.    

Message 9 of 11
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

You're doin' great, enjoy the designs.

(And, you're right...too technical...OCD kicked in again...sorry!)

We good?  Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.