cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My List Of the top 10 cards - what do you guys think about the cards?

tag
xgac12x
Established Contributor

My List Of the top 10 cards - what do you guys think about the cards?

I am gardening until 12/13..

But I am getting a list together that I want to do some more research on..so far I have 9 cards that I have narrowed it down too. I am afraid of applying for too many because August of 2014 I will need to get student loans for college, so I don't want get to ahead of myself, just a couple more cards would be fine I would say.

Currently have a 666 ex score, (credit cards in my sig), and I might increase my limit on my cap one soon to 2500. 

Here is the list, they are in order by how much I would like the card. 

1. Chase Freedom

2. American Express BCE

3. Capital One Quicksilver (Can I make my Cap One secured into a quicksilver)

4. Suntrust Cash Back (Bank I use for my checking account)

5. Citi Dividend Platinum Select Visa

6. Bank Of America Cash Rewards

7. USAA Visa

8. US Bank Flex Perks Select Rewards Visa

9. Citi Forward For college students

Do you guys think I should add to my list? Take something off, etc. And how many do you think I should apply for in December?

Thanks. 

CARDS: CAPONEQUICKSILVERONE - $3,000.00
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Leadberry
Established Contributor

Re: My List Of the top 10 cards - what do you guys think about the cards?

The USAA Visa is kind of pointless.  Their rewards systems sucks bigtime.

I don't know if you'll get anything from US Bank with that score.

BofA Cash Rewards is pretty similar to the Amex BCE, so I would pick one and stick with it personally.

Also would move the Citi Forward much higher on the list if you do much spending at restaurants/movie theaters.

If I were in your shoes, I would go with the Freedom and Forward for their respective bonus categories, BCE for gas and groceries and the Quicksilver for everything else.

And FYI, depending on how much you're going to need in student loans per year, you may not need to worry about it.  Stafford and Perkins loans won't require a credit check.

FICO Scores 800+
Message 2 of 14
xgac12x
Established Contributor

Alright thanks!

Do you think they will turn my cap one secured into a quick silver?

Thanks for the card suggestions, I probably will stick with those 4 and not apply for any more than that.

Message 3 of 14
Volpes
Regular Contributor

I'm going to defend USAA Smiley Tongue

Their rewards system isn't as good as others, but hey... they at least have one. The USAA AmEx gets an extra 1% on gas. Also, USAA can be a good friend if you ever rent cars. Collision damage waiver, travel insurance, discounts, and "out of service" fee waived.

Message 4 of 14
enharu
Super Contributor

Xgac, contact cap1 EO about getting your card changed. They might be able to help.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 5 of 14
Mellon
Established Contributor

i would consider adding Discover

Message 6 of 14
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Do you have any baddies on your cr? What's your AAOA and util?
Message 7 of 14
hutchj
Frequent Contributor

Personally, if I had to choose between Amex BCE & BoA CR I'd go with BoA because I buy more gas than groceries (and the groceries I do get, I get from Target w/ my Target Debit RedCard). The BoA CR gets 3% on gas while the BCE gets 2%.

However, I'd advocate for getting both. Simply because Amex is much better with giving CLI which will help with utilization.

And besides banking with them, what features of the Suntrust Cash card intrigued you?

AMEX BCE: 5k; Barclay Apple: 2.5k; BoA CB: 3k; BoA BBR 4.2k; BoA Travel: 8k; Chase Sapphire: 5k; Chase Freedom: 6k; Citi Diamond: 3k; Discover IT: 9k

June 2013 FICOs: TU: 763; EX: 754; EQ: 764 (was 747 9/2012). Last app 2/20/2014 Garden until 3/2015
Message 8 of 14
xgac12x
Established Contributor

I already have a Discover It card, with a 500 limit. 

But no baddies, all paid in full and AAoA is 5 months right now..one card 1 year next is 6 months, 4 months and 1 month

Message 9 of 14
xgac12x
Established Contributor

and 0 percent on cards except for Best buy which is 32% utilized 

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.