cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My NFCU Siggy was compromised in the Target theft...

tag
lithium78
Established Contributor

Re: My NFCU Siggy was compromised in the Target theft...

This breach of security with Target makes me very glad that I got the Target credit Redcard all those years ago.  I only use the Redcard at Target and since thieves don't have access to my checking account since it isn't debit.  Thank goodness.  I feel bad for everyone out there using debit cards of various kinds.  They are in real danger.

Starting Score: TU: 566
Current Score: TU: 741 (Discover FICO); EQ: 755 (MyFico) EX: 774 (FAKO)
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 11 of 16
CreditJunkie917
Frequent Contributor

No I wasn't giving them too much credit but because I'm a member, banking and cc's I'm on the website often and it's one of the first things I saw after all this came out. I'm sure the other banks are doing the same thing. 

Amex PRG(NPSL), Amex BCE($5K), Amex Hilton($1K), NavCheck ($15K), NFCU CR Siggy($20K), USAA Amex($7K), USAA World MC($7K), CSP($2.3K), Chase Marriott($1.8K), Care Credit($2.5K), Cap1 QS($3.5K), VS($500), Cap1 Secure($200) Starting Scores(Jan 2013): FICO EQ: 643, TU: 552, EX: 567 Current Scores(Sept. 2016): FICO EQ: 672, TU: 703(?), EX: 682 In the Garden FOR-EV-ER!!!!! Cards and goals achieved! Let's grow and mature these babies!!!
Message 12 of 16
DrMac210
Regular Contributor

@CreditJunkie917 wrote:

No I wasn't giving them too much credit but because I'm a member, banking and cc's I'm on the website often and it's one of the first things I saw after all this came out. I'm sure the other banks are doing the same thing. 

My DW received two letters in the mail yesterday.  One was from her credit union saying that her Visa through them "may have been compromised" and that she wouldn't be responsible for any fraudulent charges.

The other was from her bank saying that her Visa debit card in her checking account WAS compromised.  They reversed the frauduent charges and sent her a new debit card.

Starting Score: EQ 641, TU ???, EX ??? (myfico 6/7/13)
Current Score: EQ 760, TU 740, EX 750 (myfico July 2015)
Goal Score: 800 across the board

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 13 of 16
CreditJunkie917
Frequent Contributor

+1 That's good!!

Amex PRG(NPSL), Amex BCE($5K), Amex Hilton($1K), NavCheck ($15K), NFCU CR Siggy($20K), USAA Amex($7K), USAA World MC($7K), CSP($2.3K), Chase Marriott($1.8K), Care Credit($2.5K), Cap1 QS($3.5K), VS($500), Cap1 Secure($200) Starting Scores(Jan 2013): FICO EQ: 643, TU: 552, EX: 567 Current Scores(Sept. 2016): FICO EQ: 672, TU: 703(?), EX: 682 In the Garden FOR-EV-ER!!!!! Cards and goals achieved! Let's grow and mature these babies!!!
Message 14 of 16
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

@lithium78 wrote:

This breach of security with Target makes me very glad that I got the Target credit Redcard all those years ago.  I only use the Redcard at Target and since thieves don't have access to my checking account since it isn't debit.  Thank goodness.  I feel bad for everyone out there using debit cards of various kinds.  They are in real danger.

+1 me too

I wonder what those stollen credit card sites are getting for Target store cards.... I bet the $200 CL red cards have a negative price, people have to be paid to take them,.... oh lets get a fellony to use a stolen $200 CL   target card. 

And other thoughts, I guess we can't expect Auto-CLI luv on our red cards from Target anytime soon, we can't extend more credit to our card holders, its a dangerous world out there card numbers are being hacked and stollen everyday!!!

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 15 of 16
gogotexan
Regular Contributor

@JediNeo wrote:
Reading another thread the merchant agreement does not require ID to be provided if the card was signed on the back.

I don't want to make excuses for the cashier or derail this thread. I just don't see the point in massing a fuss with her manager when you knowingly used a card that wasn't yours.

Actually, the card was not signed on the back either.  Daughter has had the card for about 6 months and never used it.  It was sock drawered. 

Ultimately no harm was done since my daughter didn't mind me using the card, she is only concerned that what if the card had actually gotten into the wrong hands and the cashier made that mistake, I mean she litterly looked at the card and the ID, none of the information matched AND the card was not signed.  Said nothing, and let the transaction go through.  I believe they may work on commission at this store so maybe that was her motive?  Anyhow, I'm more inclined to let this slide, especially since technically I should not have used the card.  My daughter, on the other hand, wants to report it to the store manager and explain the situation.  I didn't seek permission to use her card before hand though since she lives with me rent free and I pay for school and car note for her, I knew damn well she wouldn't mind me using her card for this one exception. 

Starting Scores 11/12/2012 EX - 590, EQ - 584, TU - 601
FICO Scores as of 02/06/2014 EX - 687, EQ - 659, TU - 697
BK 7 Discharged Oct 2010, In my wallet: NFCU VisaSiggy $26K; NFCU GoRewards $10K; NFCU Navcheck $15K; Star Furniture $5K, Conns Credit $7K, GE (Ashley Furniture) $1K, GE (Rooms to Go) $3K, Barclay Arrival MC $3K; PWFCU Visa $2.5K; Cap1 Quicksilver1 $2K; Chase Freedome $500; Cap1 Secured $500
Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.