cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Name is Carrie and I Am An App Addict !!!

tag
StriveToProsper
Regular Contributor

Re: My Name is Carrie and I Am An App Addict !!!

Definitely been in your shoes! Just apped for the Freedom and Better Balance Rewards card myself. And now I want the Baryclay Arrival card, but maybe I'll hold our till a year from now. On a side note, congratulations!
Message 11 of 32
Carrie_in_Pa
Established Member

OK a freeze sounds smart but it sort of reminds me of a fraud alert. I had my CR's all locked for 5 years and it was not at my request. The state police automatically did it after someone tried to get credit in my name. That was a nightmare but also a blessing in a way. I had to fight to give access so i could apply for cards. It helped make a case to get things taken off of my credit report but i couldn't prove everything.

Starting Score: 382 - 418 (2005) -- Current Score: 628 (TU08) -- 661 (Beacon 5.0) -- Goal Score: 750+
Into the Garden 6-15-2014 -- Digging in the dirt until 6-2015
Message 12 of 32
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

A little willpower is all it takes. I'm trying to impress the creditors I have... And app sprees aren't the way to do it.
FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 13 of 32
Blodreina
Established Contributor

I'm dealing with this right now.  There are a few cards I've had my eye on.  Fighting the urge to apply for them is a daily struggle lol.

Message 14 of 32
Tkbreeden72
Valued Member

I'm in the same boat!  Unfortunately, I'm much worse than you,  I went from one TL last October to 24 today!  it's a rush like no other!  Lol

Welcome and good luck resisting the urge!  

I Do Not Need Anymore Credit Cards!

Fico as of 11/29/14: EQ 746 * EX 728 * TU 761
Goal: 750 all around
Message 15 of 32
heyarrnold
Valued Contributor

Yup, guilty! I started my credit journey 3 years ago when I was 18. I have had a capital one secured credit card, a wells fargo secured credit card, and discover it. And as it currently stands, I have the citi prestige, chase ink plus, chase sapphire preferred, amex bcp, and an arrival plus. I also have a macys and wells platinum. But I never use those lol.

So I added 10 CCs in three years. And now I am down to 7 since I closed those three mentioned above. We all have the "itchy" finger Smiley Tongue

Message 16 of 32
Twas_Sovereign
New Contributor

Patience is the key thing with credit. Don't app for anything for at least 6 months. I only have 8 months of credit history and have been able to achieve a lot. I started off with two cards and for the first 6 months used the cards like crazy, didn't app for anything, and only let one of those cards report a balance of 1-9% utilization. Once I hit my 6 month mark I got my American Express BCE and PRG instantly and got a instant 3x CLI on my BCE. 

Main thing though is to be patient, let one card report 1-9% utilization for optimum scores, and to spend within your limits! Do not spend what you can't pay for.

Although the temptation can be unbearable, best thing to do is just think about the long term success  Smiley Tongue

Message 17 of 32
USF813
Frequent Contributor

At some point the approval rush you feel will get weaker over time. That's when you know you've come to an end apping. My last card was approved at the end of May. I've hit my goal of having four major cards, two of which I don't even use anymore (unless some bonus promo comes out). Two of them don't have foreign transaction fees. My limits are high enough that based on my monthly spending I can report 1-9%. Hopefully you'll reach this point before too many dings being your score down.
Message 18 of 32
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

@Carrie_in_Pa wrote:

Hmmm i have 7 credit cards now and 4 store accounts. Maybe i should do some downsizing. All of my cards and accounts added up are about one of your low cards. Smiley Sad

The damage has been done, don't close the cards unless they have a AF, otherwise let them sit in a sock drawer, check the accounts every month or so. Let them age, as they age they can only help your credit report, They help your overall UTL and AAoA, if you want to keep them long term buy a pack of gum or a pair of socks  and go home and pay them off. 

I am a recovering APP addict, given time most small store cards will grow, and your report will look strong. Head off to the garden and let the seedlings grow for a while. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 19 of 32
Knight718

I have those moments too... Good luck!

Message 20 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.