cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Name is Carrie and I Am An App Addict !!!

tag
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

Re: My Name is Carrie and I Am An App Addict !!!

I joined this forum with 2 cards in 11/2012 and since have added 9 cards. 2013 was a crazy year for my credit ..lol ...but now I am training my willpower and no apps for 6 months between cards. The garden club recognition makes it easier..seedling, bronze, silver, gold, etc spades...well I never made it far beyond the gold spade. Once I have my last two cards on my  wish list  it should be easy to get to that diamond spade....hope at leastSmiley Happy

Message 21 of 32
IamB2
Established Contributor

@Carrie_in_Pa wrote:

Hi Everyone !!!

I have been reading everything i can for about a week now and my head is spinning. There is sooooo much to take in and its overwhelming.

I decided last week that i need to make some changes to my credit history and figured i would apply for one new card to up my total available credit before i axe an old card. I attempted to get a Chase Freedom and was immediately denied. Instead of waiting and trying later i went on a crazy application spree. There was 1 more denial but did get 5 new accounts.

Then my phone rings and it's Chase. The apologized and said they needed to go over some security questions with me and to review some information. In less than 5 minutes i confirmed everything and hung up with them. I was approved for the card i wanted in the first place!

I am so excited that i wasn't rejected after all but i still want more. It really was supposed to be one card, that's all.

Is this normal? Does anyone else have a hard time fighting the urge to fill out more apps?

Ha! Normal? I don't know if I would use that word, but it is expected. LOL. We all do it, as we like the instant gratification that we get. With me, it is the more apps I get approved, the more I want to apply. I just recently got approved for the Freedom card, and 2 days later, I apped for an Amex card. Got the Delta Skymiles and then got the urge to apply for another amex card (20 minutes later). Got approved for that one too, but a really crappy limit, so I decided to stop. LOL.

It takes a lot of practice and self control to not continue the applications. We have all been there, but once you get the card(s) you really want, you may find yourself less inclined to apply for more cards. RIght now, after getting Amex and Freedom, I really don't have any more urges like that. (Although Discover is an elusive creature for me. I check the preapproval link all the time LOL).

Now that you got the Freedom Card, you should feel better.

FICO® EQ 717 (3/5/15); TU08 732 (3/5/15); EX: 723 (3/5/15) - Last app 3/15/15; Inquiries: A TON!

CITI ThankYou Preferred - CL: $2,000

Starting Scores: 590s on 12/2013. Hover over card image to view details! *After Amex approvals - [I was supposed to be] Gardening!*
Message 22 of 32
IamB2
Established Contributor

@baller4life wrote:

I know exactly how you feel which is why I froze all my bureaus. Freezing is your friend! Smiley Wink

As soon as Amex cards arrive, I am freezing mine too. LOL. Honestly, this will be my only way to ensure that I don't do anything stupid over the next six months at least.

FICO® EQ 717 (3/5/15); TU08 732 (3/5/15); EX: 723 (3/5/15) - Last app 3/15/15; Inquiries: A TON!

CITI ThankYou Preferred - CL: $2,000

Starting Scores: 590s on 12/2013. Hover over card image to view details! *After Amex approvals - [I was supposed to be] Gardening!*
Message 23 of 32
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

Yeah, it happens, I added 15 cards in the last 18 months.  In some ways I regret not being able to control myself, but I do only use about 10% of my limits.  I think some banks know this based on the limits some of them give me.  Others might be a bit nervous, but not too nervous to not give me the card in most situations.  However, I do have established history, not very long in comparison to others, but a bit longer than yours.  Build that history and you will be able to get some really good cards, with some good limits.

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 24 of 32
Boragard
Established Contributor

Hi Carrie!  Smiley Happy

Message 25 of 32
chwebb1
Established Contributor

I joined this forum last year in around June with 2 credit cards and a BML account. I now have 8 credit cards and my BML account, and I've closed 3 over the last year that weren't right for me (the two I started with and one that I got last year). I think this forum makes you envious of other people's cards, and makes you HAVE to have them unfortunately. Fortunately, I'm in the garden for now, and hopefully for a year or so. To be honest, there are only two more cards that I actually want, a Chase Freedom and a Huntington Voice. And since Huntington plays hard to get if you're not in their area, there's only one that I want that I don't currently have. I'll likely app for that next year, unless Huntington opens up to people not in their region, in which case, I'll app for both.

photo NUS000000180_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo DISCOVER_IT_LG.gif photo card_1.png photo night-launch.png photo NUS000000012_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo bankamericard-better-balance-rewards-credit-card-small.png
$15000 ........... $12500 ............ $11750 ............ $10000 ........... $9400 ............ $5000 ............. $5000
In the Garden until at least November 2015
Message 26 of 32
navajomyst2003
Frequent Contributor

Is there an Apps Anonymous?  I have added 10 new cards/$130,000 in CL in the last 6 months.  Apped for second NFCU card last nite and waiting on response.  Please, someone hit me over the head with a spade so I will get back in the garden.

In my wallet: Cap1 Venture ($58k), Amex PRG (NPSL), Amex HH ($4K), Barclays Ring MC ($10K), Chase Sapphire Preferred ($22K), Chase SWA Visa Preferred ($7.5K), Chase United Mileage Explorer VS ($20k), Chase Marriott Rewards VS ($12K), BOA BBR MC ($41K), BOA Visa Sig Cash Rewards ($30K), Chase Ritz VS (9K), NFCU Flagship Visa ($55K), Discover It ($6K), Citi AA ($20K). Everything else in SD.

FICO goal: 800+ (as of 3-6-15: EQ FICO 774,,TU FICO 808, EX FICO 775)
Message 27 of 32
Carrie_in_Pa
Established Member

Some of you have some really big limits compared to mine Smiley Sad That's ok, it's not interfering with my happy face for the Chase card.

I have some really crappy cards that i think i need to start weeding out but im not exactly sure what to do. Should i just list it all here to see what you think or should i start a new thread?

Starting Score: 382 - 418 (2005) -- Current Score: 628 (TU08) -- 661 (Beacon 5.0) -- Goal Score: 750+
Into the Garden 6-15-2014 -- Digging in the dirt until 6-2015
Message 28 of 32
Blodreina
Established Contributor

New thread, imo.

Message 29 of 32
ways2go
Frequent Contributor

App spree can be a rush. My last app spree I did is after my bank, Suntrust, denied my auto refinance loan again. That was after a year and a half after the first try. I said forget them and joined NFCU. They HP for the account and the next morning I said I'll go for a CC. They approved me for a CC with a 12k cl. Then that weekend I said I'll try for a Costco TE, what's another hp. Amex had been denying me for the past two years. I was approved with a 6k cl. Then the next day , I keep seeing Amex ED commercials. I tried for that, approved with a 4k. I increased my cl in a week to 42.5k. I personally thought that was crazy. I need to step back and just garden for the rest of my life. I have 11 accounts, 9 are major accounts and I'm praying with the amount of CL (42.5k) that I have that I don't get CLD.
Message 30 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.