Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Road to 700 has started

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

My Road to 700 has started

Well I figured this would be a good time to introduce myself on this site. I have been lurking and reading threads for almost 3 months and I decided to make an account.

I was finally accepted for my first CC this month. A "Capital One Secured Plantinum Mastercard" 49/200. It isn't much but I am proud to have it to help start my credit building.

A little info about me, I am currently 18 years old and I attend college full time working toward getting a degree in Computer Engineering Technology. I work part-time at two jobs including a computer technician and a pizza delivery boy lol.

Also, yesterday I went into my local CU to ask for a loan to help cover my summer classes. $500, not much but a decent amount, they were a bit reluctant to give me the loan but they approved me Smiley Happy.

And that is about it, I hope later this summer to apply for a Discover It and hopefully in about a year once all my inquires have aged a bit I will move up to the "big boy" lenders Smiley Happy.

-Hunter

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: My Road to 700 has started

A great start, just 2 bits of advice:

1) Don't jack it up

2) If you do jack it up, make sure you leave a few lifelines open for a return to glory  (ie. don't burn every single credit card, leave a few open and in good standing even if the rest have gone to hell)

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the pointers. I am being very controlling over my finances in making sure balances and dues are paid. Gonna keep my CC PIF as I noticed other users having good luck with Cap1 giving them a CLI. Also a quick question. Would it benefit me to pay the loan off early? Or should I just stick to the terms of the loan. It is a 12 month 10.75% loan, but I could have it paid off by August or just stick to the payments?

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the pointers. I am being very controlling over my finances in making sure balances and dues are paid. Gonna keep my CC PIF as I noticed other users having good luck with Cap1 giving them a CLI. Also a quick question. Would it benefit me to pay the loan off early? Or should I just stick to the terms of the loan. It is a 12 month 10.75% loan, but I could have it paid off by August or just stick to the payments?

Stick to the payments if you are monetarily comfortable with it.

There is no score bonus for paying off early...in fact if it is reporting, alot of people report score drops once an installment loan is paid off.

My secured Cap1 added $500 to my line without me adding more money...it took about 6 months to happen.

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Alrighty, sticking to it is fine. Also, I was able to get the AF removed on my Cap1 last week. I was so proud of myself. I had gotten the approval for the card before Cap1 had changed the terms to remove the AF.

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

You're on the rick track! I wish I would of utilized this forum when I was 18. You'll get to 700 in no time Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Smiley Happy Thanks for the support!

Message 7 of 13
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

Definitely on the right track. If the 10% doesn't bother you, I would simply pay it out each month. This will definitely give you a score bump just for having different types of accounts. (The roughly 50 dollars or so will be a good price to pay for building your credit.)

Resist the urge to apply for anything for a while. Give yourself at least 6 months before you decide that you need to apply for something. The greatest thing I ever did was apply for a card (approved, luckily) and forget about credit for 6 months to 1 year after that. I then picked the lender that I wanted to grow with..yes it was a small limit but it was with a large lender.

The board is always here for you, but can be frustrating reading all of the approvals of varying shapes and sizes. Note that everyone has gone through a different journey and not all paths will be the same. Be responsible, like you've already said you will be. Live within your means. Smiley Happy You seem to have a very level head on your shoulders. Don't allow family or friends to burden you more than you can handle money wise. (And know that all loans are basically gifts -- if you can't afford to give it away then you can't afford to loan it. This might be more important later than now.)
Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

lol thanks for the awesome reply! After reading through the relationships and money threads I can agree with that statement on loans lol. Most if not all of the money I make this summer will go into savings and paying bills, that way I will have some extra backing incase of car troubles or sudden fees from college that need attention. Also, I think after considering it I will be sticking to the terms for paying the loan, the extra interest isnt that much and having 12 months of on time loan payments will look great on my CR.

Message 9 of 13
Existentialist
Frequent Contributor

Welcome. This is a great time to begin your credit journey and congrats for having the insight to recognize the importance of establishing a positive credit history. Utilize the resources herein to your best advantage and always remember when in doubt.... ASK.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.