cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Third Credit card, Please help

tag

My Third Credit card, Please help

Hi All,

I just check my fico and, got a 731 on Equalfax =). Well, now I'm trying to think of a credit card that will be easy to be approve, since I'm trying to add a credit line. Currently I have a Cap1 Plat $750 and a Orchard Bank $300 (Which is own by Cap1). I need a third credit card from someone, any suggestion would be great .

Thanks

-Catherine. 

EQ Fico: 731 - Dec 13, 2012
WellsFargo ID Prot Pull 01/29/2013
EX 741 - EQ 711 - TU 708

Goal:
Chase Hyatt, CSP
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
distantarray
Established Contributor

Re: My Third Credit card, Please help

@Catherine_Credit wrote:

Hi All,

I just check my fico and, got a 731 on Equalfax =). Well, now I'm trying to think of a credit card that will be easy to be approve, since I'm trying to add a credit line. Currently I have a Cap1 Plat $750 and a Orchard Bank $300 (Which is own by Cap1). I need a third credit card from someone, any suggestion would be great .

Thanks

-Catherine. 

Amex BCP their requirements have dropped considerably in my experience of what I've been seeing, also gets 6% off on groceries 3% on gas and department stores which is nice although it does have a $75 annual fee but $25 purchases in grocery stores a week will offset that amount easily.since this is one of the few cards that should NEVER be sock drawered it's a very good card. although it does have a $6,000 cap on the top reward benefits now it's still a great card. Then with things like small business Saturday which earned me $125 in restaurant gift cards (4 authorized user under my account for my family + my own were all eligible)

and getting $35 back for being halo 4, $25 back for spending $50 at bestbuy , $25 back for spending $100 at CostCo.com etc  x 5. I've made over $550 in benefits in the last 2 months + reward zone coupons at bestbuy that was aquired by spending $250 =)   all on purchases i would already spend normally. completely destroying benefits of ANY other cards on the market. + 6% and 3% categories.

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 2 of 14
pkosheta
Contributor

What are you looking for in a card? Rewards and if so what kind?  Low apr? Generous limit? Great customer service?  No annual fee?

Age 29
AU- United+ Visa 33k, *97. GM MasterCard 15k, *95.
Individual- PenFed Plat Rew 7k, *08. Amex Blue 6.7k, *12. Hilton Amex 5.5k, *12. Chase Sapphire 15k, *12. U.S. Bank Cash+ 12.3k, *12. Barclays Priceline.com Rewards Visa 11k, *13. Citi DoubleCash (PC'd in *14) 7k, *13. Club Carlson Premier 9k, *13.
Message 3 of 14

Thanks for the Quick Reply,

I forgot to mention that I only have 1 year of credit history, actually my oldest card is 1 yr 4 month. I'm hopping to get  a reward card, but dont want to be denied and get my score dropped. I'm gonne buy a house in few month. The Mortgage person said I need to add another credit line, and get my credit limit up. We all know that Cap1 stingy with their limits, and I do spend around 700 dollar and pay off everything on CC. Does AMX Charge card have income requirement?? My income isnt that high at all, only around $26k a year. =/

EQ Fico: 731 - Dec 13, 2012
WellsFargo ID Prot Pull 01/29/2013
EX 741 - EQ 711 - TU 708

Goal:
Chase Hyatt, CSP
Message 4 of 14
Hightechredneck
Frequent Contributor

I would try a credit union. DCU, NASA, First Tech, Penfed.

Message 5 of 14
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Chase Freedom, Discover More,  American Express, Citi Forward...   All of these would be within realm of approval in my opinion and would all be considered "prime".  Out of the three I recommend Discover and / or Amex, as they have generous CLI procedures which require a SP most of the time.   

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 6 of 14
bluesnowman
Frequent Contributor

Catherine,

If you do get a charge card it typically has what's called a No Preset Spending limit. I have an AMEX PRG , but then again I'm a student with 12,000 income and they somehow approved me. As long as your history is decent and everything looks okay you should be okay for a charge card, they also all come with an annual fee. Based on your fico score I think you could qualify for a Discover More or Chase Freedom. Or you can always try your local Credit Union. 

Bank of America: Cash Rewards.- 4.2k. 4/25/12 (CLI Increase 6/15/13, CLI May of 2015, sept 2015), Citi: Forward- 4.5k. 10/27/12 (CLI on 2/8/14, SP, CLI on 9/26/15 sp). Discover: More- 7k, 10/27/12 (Increase 6/1/14, CLI in May of 2015, SP 9/2015) Amex: PRG- NPSL (closed 12/13/13). 11/24/12. Chase: Freedom. 5/1/13- 5k (EX CLI HP 9/2015) Southwest Rapid Rewards Plus.-3.6k. 6/15/13. Amex BCE-2k. 12/7/13. Amex SPG-5k 12/8/13 (CLI on 9/2015) Capital one VentureOne Visa Signature-10k (9/6/15). Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard-4K. Last App: 9/6/15. Total cl: 45,300
Message 7 of 14
p-
Valued Contributor

@Catherine_Credit wrote:

I just check my fico and, got a 731 on Equalfax =)... I need a third credit card ...

Both Penfed and USAA pull Equifax.  It would be smart to start your membership now with Penfed because they will use the same pull for your membership app, and your credit card app.  That way you get the most out of your hard pull.  If you have a car loan, now would be a great opportunity to refi; they are offering 1.49% and you can do all of that with the one hard pull.

I've heard that they offer higher limits, but I don't have one of their cards.  I did use my membership pull to app for two car loans, and qualified for the 1.49 on both.  Very happy with them so far.

Message 8 of 14
p-
Valued Contributor

One more thing - if you are going traditional on your mortgage penfed has pretty competetive rates.

Message 9 of 14
Tryon2improve
Regular Contributor

I agree with the other posts that Discover would be a good fit, and I would say you have a very hifh likely hood of approval.  If you are not instantly approved, they have a very good recon process.  I had many baddies on my report a 650 ish score and was denied, I reconned and got $1,000.  Now 12 months later $5,700 and got my APR reduced from 22.4% to 15.9%. 

Best of luck.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.