cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Wells Fargo closed by itself. What's next?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

My Wells Fargo closed by itself. What's next?

Last night, i was checking my wells fargo credit card balance online and noticed that there's a note saying "Note: This account is Closed, but you can still make payments to pay off the balance. For questions, please email us or call  1-800-988-8019."

It was a student account and opened in July 2009. I've never used it since day one until this month. A couple months ago, i received mail from wells fargo that they would close that account if i didn't use the card until some time (i forgot). I guess now it's happening. Honestly, i've never wanted that well fargos card. I accidentally happened to sign up for their student card when i was opening checking.

Please what should i do now? Should i call them and try to reopen the account not to hurt my credit score? or Should i just let them close it and open another good reward credit card or something?

Beside well fargos card (my lowest CL card with $1k limit) , i have AMEX True earning($2k limit), BoA cash reward($2k limit), Chase student master($1.1k limit), Chase amazon reward($2.2k limit). My fico scores are TU - 740 , EQ - 734 , and FAKO EX - 724.

Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

Re: My Wells Fargo closed by itself. What's next?

@Anonymous wrote:

Last night, i was checking my wells fargo credit card balance online and noticed that there's a note saying "Note: This account is Closed, but you can still make payments to pay off the balance. For questions, please email us or call  1-800-988-8019."

It was a student account and opened in July 2009. I've never used it since day one until this month. A couple months ago, i received mail from wells fargo that they would close that account if i didn't use the card until some time (i forgot). I guess now it's happening. Honestly, i've never wanted that well fargos card. I accidentally happened to sign up for their student card when i was opening checking.

Please what should i do now? Should i call them and try to reopen the account not to hurt my credit score? or Should i just let them close it and open another good reward credit card or something?

Beside well fargos card (my lowest CL card with $1k limit) , i have AMEX True earning($2k limit), BoA cash reward($2k limit), Chase student master($1.1k limit), Chase amazon reward($2.2k limit). My fico scores are TU - 740 , EQ - 734 , and FAKO EX - 724.

Thanks in advance.

Let it stay closed.   You don't want it and you didn't use it.     Closed accounts don't hurt your score.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks wolf but I thought closing account would hurt my score 2 times(accourding to pinned threat on the top).

Message 3 of 6
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks wolf but I thought closing account would hurt my score 2 times(accourding to pinned threat on the top).

I read the thread, which part are you concerned about?  

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Util isn't problem since i PIF most of the time. So in next 10 years, it would ding my credit score again. I just don't wanna hurt a lot but you are right. I don't use that card and better let it close by itself. Now it's time to look for another good card. Since i'm student, my income is less than 15k. These are my choices:

1. Another AMEX (backdating)

2. Citi card

3. PenFed (but heard they are really picky about your income)

Bottom line is i just want a card with $3k CL or higher.

Thanks.

Message 5 of 6
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

Assuming you continue with your good credit for 10 years, the loss of 1 account will be insignificant. 

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.