Did you mean: 

My bank won't approve me for unsecured credit card

tag
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

Re: My bank won't approve me for unsecured credit card

@Dw4250 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
I do have a US bank secured card, $300 cl since Nov of last year, pif every month. Should I give them a call and see if I can get it unsecured?

Yes they will unsecure to the USB Platinum (no rewards) after a year but your score will need to be ~680+.  It is not automatic.  they will PC the platinum after 1 year to a lower tier rewards card.  I've been trying to get them to CLI me to $5K so I can PC into a 2nd Cash+.  So far no dice.

US Bank would not unsecure my card in 2013, it was 1 year old. I was in the bank being assisted by a 'personal banker' (basically anyone who isn't a teller is a Personal Banker).

So I had them submit an application for the USB Platinum card, it was instantly granted with $8500 limit (my first unsecured card), and a FICO of 732. I then closed the secured card.

Just my experience with US Bank. That $8500 card sure helped jumpstart my credit.

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 31 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: My bank won't approve me for unsecured credit card

I agree with going into a branch.  When my Citi Secured card unsecured into basically the same card without it being secured, I tried to change it several years ago into one of the citicards I saw online with a rep over the phone.  I kept getting a "no."  About two months later I went into a branch and the lady at the desk helped me fill out a form to convert it to something else.  About a week later I got a HP.  About a week after that I got a call saying that they could convert the account to the Diamond MasterCard with same credit line.  It has since become my largest credit line over the last several years.  I was glad I went into the branch and got some help.

I'm sorry your bank isn't wanting to work with you.  I hope you can find a good one that fits your needs.  

Message 32 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.