Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My beginning journey w/ good news!

tag
shadow_shooter
New Visitor

My beginning journey w/ good news!

Hello all,

I started my journey back in February. During that all my cc apps were turned down. I applied to Chase, Target and some other department store cards. All were rejected due to no history.

Seeing the advice here, my only option, I got Cap1 secured card for 400 dollars. 

After 6 months in, Capital One gave +150$ unsecured increase to my limit.

And 9 months in, last week I applied to Barclays and got approved for $2000! On the same say, I applied for Chase Freedom and got approved for $1500. Although I only had one secured card history and 9 months history, they were happy to approve me.

Today I received a pre-approval Discover-it card in the mail. I am not sure if this is a good deal but things seem to pick up.

My score was 717 due to limited card limits, and today I check it jumped to 727! The highest I've seen since I started my journey. 

So what do you guys think? Am I doing well? Should I consider Discover-it card too? Or should I just start gardening? I have 6 inquiries in my report, 3 being recently (2 in one week for above cards).

Thanks! 

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
CodyAB31

Re: My beginning journey w/ good news!

I would go for the discover. Good benefits as well as 5% categories and Shop Discover. 

11/13 - EX 674 MyFico - EQ 660 MyFico - TU 675 WMart Fico

TTFCU 3500 - AMEX Green NPSL - Discover IT 800 - Amazon 1400
Lowes 800 - QuicksilverOne 500 - CapOne Plat 800 - Walmart 1050
Barclays ChoicePriv 250 -Vic. Sec 900 - Express 1070 - Buckle 780 - Valero 600 - JCPenney 700
Message 2 of 13
H4LO
Established Contributor

@shadow_shooter wrote:

Hello all,

I started my journey back in February. During that all my cc apps were turned down. I applied to Chase, Target and some other department store cards. All were rejected due to no history.

Seeing the advice here, my only option, I got Cap1 secured card for 400 dollars. 

And 9 months in, last week I applied to Barclays and got approved for $2000! On the same say, I applied for Chase Freedom and got approved for $1500. Although I only had one secured card history and 9 months history, they were happy to approve me.

Today I received a pre-approval Discover-it card in the mail. I am not sure if this is a good deal but things seem to pick up.

My score was 717 due to limited card limits, and today I check it jumped to 727! The highest I've seen since I started my journey. 

So what do you guys think? Am I doing well? Should I consider Discover-it card too? Or should I just start gardening? I have 6 inquiries in my report, 3 being recently (2 in one week for above cards).

Thanks! 

Discover is usually really good with topping your other cards. I'd go for it, but make sure you get some kind of sign up bonus. IIRC. There is a spend 750$ get 150$ cash out there. 

Total CL - 60K // Util. ~1.6%

772 TU - 6/5 ///// 705 EX - 5/5 ///// 664 EQ - 4/29
Message 3 of 13
myjourney
Super Contributor

@shadow_shooter wrote:

Hello all,

Thanks! 

Welcome to the forum 

While you have done well with such a thin and new file IMHO it's time to head to the garden age the TL's you have and in 6 months hit Discover 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 4 of 13
staifokuzed
Regular Contributor

I have a very good feeling that if u follow MJ's advice u will fall over when u see the discover approval. From what I've seen they are conservative. So if u get approved for 1-2k now you will be stuck with that limit for at lot longer than the 6 months u wait now.

Also it is not wise to apply for to many new accounts with that new barclaycard. They tend to be very sensitive to new accounts and inquiries. It's best to garden at this point.

Good luck and congrats,
AMEX B SKY-1K AMEX PRG- NPSL USAA PLTM -6K
DISCOVER IT- 5.2K BARCLAY REWARD- 3.2K
PAYPAL REWARDS -6K VICTORIA SECRETS -1750
USAA AMEX-5.5K CITI TY PREFR 3.1K(NPSL) CHASE FREEDOM -1K
SPORTSMAN VISA- 8K AMEX ED PRFD- 8.5
Message 5 of 13
shadow_shooter
New Visitor

Very good advices again... I've decided not to pursue Discover for now. Not that I need a CC anyway. However that boost in my score made me think it could get even higher when loan limit is getting higher. But as said, i'd be stuck with that limit forever and probably I'll be given a higher limit if I do my hw on these cards.

Message 6 of 13
djc1puno
Valued Contributor

WTG! great work on the rebuild Smiley Happy it'll only get better with the offers i'm sure Smiley Happy

GARDEN GOAL: MARCH 2014
LAST APP: 08/20/2013
---=[NORTHBOUND]=---
Message 7 of 13
shadow_shooter
New Visitor

Thanks djc1puno! I'm more surprised with Chase than anything else. Not long time ago they lectured me on how I should try later and keep doing what I'm doing. But I am also their customer since college. My salary is deposited to their banks, these might've helped.

My goal now is getting one more prime card and having CLIs all over, and finally close my secured card. It's murder to charge me yearly fee but glad that they helped me rebuild my credit.

Message 8 of 13
wHiTeSoL
Valued Contributor

@shadow_shooter wrote:

Very good advices again... I've decided not to pursue Discover for now. Not that I need a CC anyway. However that boost in my score made me think it could get even higher when loan limit is getting higher. But as said, i'd be stuck with that limit forever and probably I'll be given a higher limit if I do my hw on these cards.

There is no evidence that loan limit alone raises your Fico however there is for reducing your UTI with more/higher limits. 

Message 9 of 13
yudeology101
Senior Contributor

Congrats on your journey!  It can only get better from now on, WTG!!

JPM Ritz Carlton $8k I UMP Club $8k I CSP $8k | Chase Hyatt $5k I AMEX Green NPSL I AMEX Delta $2k I Citi AA $2k | C1 QS $4.5k
BOA UNC-CH Alumni $6k I Hawaiian WEMC $3k I Arrival $6.5k I IT $1.5k | Merrill+ $2k | Lowes $12k | Apple $2k | +23more
Scores: EQ:671 (FICO 11) EX:686 (FICO N/C) TU:686 (FICO N/C) *8-5-14*
Overall UTIL: 14% *Gardening Since: 1/20/16*
------------------------------------------------------------
Need to stay out of trouble.... Go Heels!!! ... GC Watchlist ( #1 since 12-12-13)
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.