Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My card mix... suggestions?

tag
shaybe
Established Member

My card mix... suggestions?

Since I can't apply for any cards for a few months because of too many inquiries (about 12 in a one-month period, ugh!) I'd like to dream about what cards I can apply for once I am able to.

Here is my current mix:

The two I would like to keep are:

• My BoA CampusEdge card with a $1,500 limit. I'm assuming they will let me product change into a "grown-up" card after I'm out of school. (aged 1 1/2 yrs)
  • My Macys card because I like to shop there and hear they give good CLI's. Mine is currently at $650. (aged 3-4 months)

The ones I'm still on the fence about keeping:

• Target Visa with a $1,500 limit. I don't think this is a prime card, is it? I don't really care about the 10% savings. (aged 1 1/2 yrs)
  • WaMu with a $3,000 limit. I will keep this until Feb 2010 because I have 0% interest on purchases until then but I'm not so sure after that. Is WaMu a good one to have? (aged 1 month -  got a preapproval in the mail)
  • Victoria's Secret card. It only has a $250 limit and I really don't shop there very often. I just wanted it because it's pretty. Will having another store card I rarely use affect my mix? (aged 3-4 months)
  • QuikTrip (gas station card) $400 limit. (aged 2-3 months)

The ones I'm definitely getting rid of when I can:

• I have two HSBC's with a $300 limit. Both have annual fees. I didn't know better! (both aged 3-4 months)
  • I have a Capital One with a $300 limit and it also has an annual fee. (aged 3-4 months)

My scores are in my sig. They recently took a bit of a dive due to credit usage being quite high right now. I will pay them all to 0%-10% over the next couple of months and am expecting to break the 700 mark after I do that. The 6 month mark on the bulk of my inquiries would be around Nov '08. The 6 month mark on ANY inquiries would be probably Feb '09.

So my ultimate question is: Once my scores are all in the low 700's, which prime cards would I have a good chance at getting and how long should I wait to apply for them? I just want to get a decent mix and let them age. I really have no desire for more cards.

I know this is really long, sorry! Thanks! =)
--------------
Not applying again until August 2009, and only then with a 700+ credit score!! Wish me luck..... ugh.
Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: My card mix... suggestions?

One thing that you'll probably find is that with time, you will find where certain cards' rewards systems will work best for you. No point in having a good gas card if you use public transport; no point in a card that gives you bennies for a store you never go to; no point in a cash-back card that requires more spending than you do at this point in your life; and so forth.

So I would just garden the cards you have for now and keep doing some research as you go. I gather that you're young and/or college age. Depending on where you are in a year, you might be thinking about Chase Freedom or Freedom Plus, Citi Professional, AmEx Blue or Blue Sky, and so forth. BofA cards can be great for giving high CL's once you have a good income, but that pretty much is their rewards. You might find that with time, you'll want to switch your current card to a different BofA card. And so forth.

For those smart enough to go with a limited number of cards, as you were describing, I'd say that your long-term goal might be to have two or three from national-level banks, like BofA, Citi, Chase, AmEx, Discover; maybe one from a credit union or similar source that tends to give high CL's, and one good store card, that does NOT have Visa, MC, etc on it, from a store where you actually shop. Additionally, if you don't have them already, you'll have an auto loan, etc.

WaMu and Target are helpful in the building stage, but most people find that they don't keep growing with them. For the fee cards, you can plan on closing them right before they hit you with next year's fees. As for the others, you can decide to keep them or close them when the time comes, which isn't now. (Let them do their work for you first. Smiley Wink )

If you haven't already, read fused's "Closing Credit Cards" (linked in my siggy.) For now, just hold off on any actions and work what you have, and do your reading and thinking so you'll know what to go for when the time comes.

(Not to mention that there's no telling which banks will still be in business in a year's time!)

Don't close anything for now: all these TL's (= tradelines = credit accounts) are helping build a strong positive history for you. But as your credit improves, I'd say the ones to hang on to will be the BofA and the Macy's. Use the others periodically to keep them alive, pay them off immediately, and keep an eye on your online accounts. Check them at least weekly to make sure that you aren't getting any unpleasant surprises. Good luck!
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 5 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

If you don't have a desire to add any more CCs, then don't. I'd let them age. Adding anymore could mean a score drop. Your mix is just right so as long as the gas and Macys remain store CCs.

I agree with your HSBC and CapOne. Both are charging fees and I'm not a fan of either. 

Remember, there's never a need to close a CC unless: 1) the temptation is there to keep them maxed out after you pay it off or 2) there are fees that don't justify keeping the CC.

Closing any CC will result in an increased utilization (if you have balances) and 10 yrs out your avg. history will drop w/ your scores when the cards drop off your reports.
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Your revolving credit mix is fine as it is. You shouldn't get rid of any cards that don't have annual fees - your history with them will build over time and they will bolster your average age of accounts (an important component of your FICO scores).

It is all fine and dandy to look into a card or 2 to replace the annual fee cards once your scores come up above 700. After 2 years of credit history and a 700 + score, you should be in line for rewards cards from BoA, Citi, Chase, and Amex. You should figure out what rewards are most important to you and then apply accordingly.

Some of the better ones you can look into.

Chase Freedom
Amex Blue Cash (if you spend lots of money)
BoA Accelerated Rewards
Citi Dividends

I would definitely wait 6 months or longer to apply, but you should be in great shape for these cards at that point.
Message 3 of 6
shaybe
Established Member

I applied for all of these cards before I really knew anything about credit. I guess I just want to re-think them all and make sure I have exactly what I want before I settle in for the long haul. I'm not expecting to apply for an auto loan or mortgage within the next 4 years, so I figure this might be a good time to re-evaluate when I can afford to take a hit if need be.

I read someone on this board post that its good to have 3-4 credit cards. Of course, I would prefer all of those to be prime. Would WaMu or Target be considered prime? If not, then I only have the one BoA and would like to add a couple more as soon as I can be approved for them.

Thanks for the input!
--------------
Not applying again until August 2009, and only then with a 700+ credit score!! Wish me luck..... ugh.
Message 4 of 6
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

One thing that you'll probably find is that with time, you will find where certain cards' rewards systems will work best for you. No point in having a good gas card if you use public transport; no point in a card that gives you bennies for a store you never go to; no point in a cash-back card that requires more spending than you do at this point in your life; and so forth.

So I would just garden the cards you have for now and keep doing some research as you go. I gather that you're young and/or college age. Depending on where you are in a year, you might be thinking about Chase Freedom or Freedom Plus, Citi Professional, AmEx Blue or Blue Sky, and so forth. BofA cards can be great for giving high CL's once you have a good income, but that pretty much is their rewards. You might find that with time, you'll want to switch your current card to a different BofA card. And so forth.

For those smart enough to go with a limited number of cards, as you were describing, I'd say that your long-term goal might be to have two or three from national-level banks, like BofA, Citi, Chase, AmEx, Discover; maybe one from a credit union or similar source that tends to give high CL's, and one good store card, that does NOT have Visa, MC, etc on it, from a store where you actually shop. Additionally, if you don't have them already, you'll have an auto loan, etc.

WaMu and Target are helpful in the building stage, but most people find that they don't keep growing with them. For the fee cards, you can plan on closing them right before they hit you with next year's fees. As for the others, you can decide to keep them or close them when the time comes, which isn't now. (Let them do their work for you first. Smiley Wink )

If you haven't already, read fused's "Closing Credit Cards" (linked in my siggy.) For now, just hold off on any actions and work what you have, and do your reading and thinking so you'll know what to go for when the time comes.

(Not to mention that there's no telling which banks will still be in business in a year's time!)

Don't close anything for now: all these TL's (= tradelines = credit accounts) are helping build a strong positive history for you. But as your credit improves, I'd say the ones to hang on to will be the BofA and the Macy's. Use the others periodically to keep them alive, pay them off immediately, and keep an eye on your online accounts. Check them at least weekly to make sure that you aren't getting any unpleasant surprises. Good luck!
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 5 of 6
shaybe
Established Member

Thanks, hauling. That's exactly what I'll do!
--------------
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.