cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My credit adventures (recent CC apps, CLI requests, etc.)

tag
h4ldol
Contributor

My credit adventures (recent CC apps, CLI requests, etc.)

Hi folks, love this board because it's fun to see so much useful and fun info about credit, which has become something of a hobby (or obsession, rather) for me in the past few years.  Anyway, I thought I would share some of my past credit experiences, including recent ones, to add to the sizable knowledge base of this board.  I have six CC now (listed below) and a BofA line of credit (gold option loan).

1. Discover ($20,000)

- Opened in early 1990s as a college freshman.

- Never asked for a CLI (until recently), steadily grew with auto-CLI to $12,600.   I requested a 11.99% APR several years ago and is where it currently stands.

- Read that up to $15,000 they would approve (or not) without a hard pull, but when I called recently to request an increase (specific CLI goal not mentioned or asked for), they told me that a hard pull was needed.  I agreed to it, but the CSR told me that it needed to be reviewed by the CLI dept.  The CLI dept called this morning and asked how much I wanted to increase it to (I said $20,000) and after some questions (and hard pull already done) they told me that the computer system auto-approved a $500 increase, and that they could increase it manually another $5,000 (for a total of $5,500).  But I would need to have income verification to get it to $20,000, which I agreed to.  They presumably verified this with my employer and within an hour it went to $20,000.  I was told earlier that Discover would pull all three bureaus but I haven't verified which ones were pulled yet.

2. Sony (Capital One) Card ($6,900)

- Opened in early 1990s as well, originally was a Citibank card.  Has a ridiculous 24%+ APR (although I don't carry balances so it's just annoying).

- Switched to Sony Card circa 2001 when Sony was affiliated with Citi, and then of course they promptly sold it to another bank which later transfered to Chase and finally to Capital One.

- CL steadily increased over the years (can't remember how high but probably under $10,000) until it dropped to $6,900 at  some point some 6+ years ago for a reason I can't recall. 

- Requested CLI recently but after providing info they told me that I was not eligible, but didn't ask for (nor did I suggest) a hard pull.

3. AMEX Gold Card (n/a)

- Opened in the late 2000s.

- I checked the potential spending limit on their website and was approved for $25,000 (but didn't try a higher number).

- I plan to close this one sometime this year due to not wanting to keep pay the AF.

4. BofA Cash Rewards Signature VISA ($15,000)

- Opened last month, approved for $15,000, which instantly became my then-highest CL.  I have a checkings/savings/gold option line of credit with them which likely helped.  It has an intermediate 16.99% APR. 

- I think they hard pulled Experian.

- Plan to request CLI to $20,000 later this year.

5. Citibank Diamond Preferred MC ($8,300)

- Opened last month (the day after the BofA card), approved for $8,300 with an intermediate 16.99% APR.

- They hard pulled Equifax only. 

- Given that Citi has a reputation for pulling hard for CLI requests, I will probably let this one auto increase for now.

6. AMEX BCE ($10,000)

- Opened several days after the above two cards, gave me the dreaded "wait 7-10 days" message but when I checked the status online a few minutes later it said it was approved.  2 weeks later I got the card finally and found that I was approved for $10,000 but with the highest APR (22.24% I believe).

- I think they hard pulled Experian only.

- Plan on requesting periodically (at 61 days and 6 months after that) up to $20,000.

7. BofA Gold Option Loan ($17,200)

- It is basically a line of credit, opened in mid-2000s, limit is $17,200 now.  Originally was $20,000+ but went down after the financial crisis several years ago to $17,200.  

- Paid off a few months ago.

Credit Scores/History and Impact on them

- Equifax prior to the three new cards last month was about 749.  About 10 days or so after the three new cards my Equifax score dropped to around 724.  Then yesterday, it rose up to 768.  Even though the new inquiries (only one actually from Citi) and new credit cards negatively affected the score, it seems the new higher limits with lower utilization (went from ~22% to around 7%) more than offset the drop to result in a higher score. 

- Transunion yesterday (don't have one from before, wish you could order past credit scores!) was 746 even though there are no inquiries on TU.

- Experian doesn't offer scores/reports on MyFico but I think I got something in the mail from BofA and/or AMEX that showed about 748 scores when they pulled it for my application.  I did check the 'vantage' scores though, after the new accounts were approved, and they were in the low 800s with 'prime plus' (or something like that, the second highest level) and B+ rating as I recall (I'll have to check this later at home). 

- Only real negative (baddie?) on my record is a 60+ day late (it shows as 120+ day late on one report) on all three records from 6+ years ago (wll drop off this year), from when I was traveling abroad for several months and didn't realize I overdrew from my line of credit from a since-closed account (WAMU). 

- Otherwise, no mortgage history and extremely large student loan debt (but paying off since 7 months ago on time). 

- All cards are PIF every month with no balances carrying over. 

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: My recent CC apps, CLI requests, etc. (Discover, BofA, Citi, Cap One, AMEX)

@h4ldol wrote:

Hi folks, love this board because it's fun to see so much useful and fun info about credit, which has become something of a hobby (or obsession, rather) for me in the past few years.  Anyway, I thought I would share some of my past credit experiences, including recent ones, to add to the sizable knowledge base of this board.  I have six CC now (listed below) and a BofA line of credit (gold option load).

1. Discover ($20,000)

- Opened in early 1990s as a college freshman.

- Never asked for a CLI (until recently), steadily grew with auto-CLI to $12,600.

- Read that up to $15,000 they would approve or not without a hard pull, but when I called (online acct told me to call).  When I called to request an increase (but did not specify a target CL), they told me that I would need a hard pull, so after some deliberation I agreed.  The CLI dept called this morning and asked how much I wanted to increase it to (I said $20,000) and after some questions (and hard pull already done) and told me that the computer system auto-approved a $500 increase, and that they could increase it manually another $5,000 (for a total of $5,500), but that I would need to have income verification to get it to $20,000, which I agreed to.  Within an hour it went to $20,000.

2. Sony (Capital One) Card ($6,900)

- Opened in early 1990s as well, originally was a Citibank card.

- Switched to Sony Card circa 2001 when Sony was affiliated with Citi, and then of course they promptly sold it to another bank which later transfered to Chase and finally to Capital One.

- CL steadily increased over the years (can't remember how high but probably under $10,000) until it dropped to $6,900 at  some point some 6+ years ago for a reason I can't recall). 

- Requested CLI recently but after providing info they told me that I was not eligible, but didn't ask for (nor did I suggest) a hard pull.

3. AMEX Gold Card (n/a)

- Opened in the late 2000s.

- I checked the potential spending limit on their website and was approved for $25,000 (but didn't try a higher number).

- I plan to close this one sometime this year due to not wanting to keep pay the AF.

4. BofA Cash Rewards Signature VISA ($15,000)

- Opened last month, approved for $15,000 (I have a checkings/savings/gold option line of credit with them).  I think they hard pulled Experian.

- Plan to request CLI to $20,000 later this year.

5. Citibank Diamond Preferred MC ($8,300)

- Opened last month (the day after the BofA card), approved for $8,300.  They hard pulled Equifax. 

- Given that Citi has a reputation for pulling hard for CLI requests, I will probably let this one auto increase for now.

6. AMEX BCE ($10,000)

- Opened several days after the above two cards, gave me the "wait 7-10 days" message but when I checked the status online a few minutes later it said it was approved.  2 weeks later I got the card finally and found that I was approved for $10,000.  I think they hard pulled Equifax too.

- Plan on requesting periodically (at 61 days and 6 months after that) up to $20,000.

7. BofA Gold Option Loan ($17,200)

- It is basically a line of credit, opened in mid-2000s, limit is $17,200 now.  Originally was $20,000+ but went down after the financial crisis several years ago to $17,200.  

- Paid off a few months ago.

Credit Scores/History and Impact on them

- Equifax prior to the three new cards last month was about 749.  About 10 days or so after the three new cards my Equifax score dropped to about 724.  Then yesterday, it rose up to about 768.  Even though the new inquiries (only one actually from Citi) and new credit cards negatively affected the score, it seems the new higher limits with lower utilization (went from 20s to around 7%) more than offset the drop to result in a higher score. 

- Transunion yesterday (don't have one from before, wish you could order past credit scores!) was 746 even though there are no inquiries on TU.

- Experian doesn't offer scores/reports on MyFico but I think I got something in the mail from BofA and/or AMEX that showed about 748 scores when they pulled it for my application.  I did check the 'vantage' scores though, after the new accounts were approved, and they were in the low 800s with 'prime plus' (or something like that, the second highest level) and B+ rating as I recall (I'll have to check this later at home). 

- Only real negative (baddie?) on my record is a 60+ day late (it shows as 120+ day late on one report) on all three records from 6+ years ago (wll drop off this year), from when I was traveling abroad for several months and didn't realize I overdrew from my line of credit from a since-closed account (WAMU). 

- Otherwise, no mortgage history and extremely large student loan debt (but paying off since 7 months ago on time). 

- All cards are PIF every month with no balances carrying over. 

Very nice cards and CL's!!!!!

Congrats!!!!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 2 of 10
boomhower
Valued Contributor

Re: My recent CC apps, CLI requests, etc. (Discover, BofA, Citi, Cap One, AMEX)

Nice work!

Message 3 of 10
jdogi
Contributor

Re: My credit adventures (recent CC apps, CLI requests, etc.)

Welcome to the board!  Very nice account spread you have there and thanks for taking the time to share the details.

I just added two brand new accounts myself and I'm dying to see how my 798 EQ FICO reacts once they are both reporting and ScoreWatch catches them.  Shouldn't be long now.  Unfortunately, my util is already under 10%, so I won't be able to make up any lost ground as quickly as you did.

Message 4 of 10
casi218
Valued Member

I can only hope my credit looks like yours in the future Smiley Happy Nice cards and especially nice limits!!

Message 5 of 10
crunching_numbers
Valued Contributor

OOhhh...  I have CL envy.....  

Very nice.  May I ask your HHI? 

Starting Score: 693 TU FICO, 679 EQ FICO
Current Score: FICO 8 = 844(9/15) EQ, 827 TU, 811 EX (7/15); mortgage FICO= 758 (9/15)EQ5, 797 TU4, 748 EX2 (7/15)
Goal Score: 750+, but shooting for the 800's
Hyatt Visa Sig ($23K), Amex BCP (24.8K), BofA Travel Rew Sig (22.5K), B&N World MC (22.3K), Amex RP Gold (NPSL w/ S&T), Cash+ Sig (20K),United Mil+ExpSig (16.3K), FNBO Visa (13.1K), Hilton Surpass (10K), Freedom Visa Sig (8.6K), Disc It (16.4K), Citi Dia Pref MC (3.7K),Sam's MC (10K), Wally (7.5K), JCP(5.3K), Costco (2K)
Message 6 of 10
jdogi
Contributor

@crunching_numbers wrote:

Way to break in the new guy/gal and send e'm scrambling for the 'Common Abbreviations' thread Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 10
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@jdogi wrote:

@crunching_numbers wrote:

Way to break in the new guy/gal and send e'm scrambling for the 'Common Abbreviations' thread Smiley Wink

Smiley Very Happy

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 8 of 10
h4ldol
Contributor

Thanks for the warm welcome and replies!

Some more background info:

Prior to the 3 recent new cards (all three opened in last 4 weeks):

- No inquiries on any of the three CB.

- Oldest acct age: over 18 years.

- AAoA: 8 years

- HHI: 150K+

- No balances maintained (PIF every month)

- Total CL: $12,600 (Discover), $6,900 (Sony Card), $17,200 (BofA Gold Option Loan/LOC)

- Only other CC is AMEX Gold Card. 

- EQ 749 (payment history 'good', amount of debt 'very good', length of credit history 'great', amount of new credit 'great')

- Baddie - only one: 60+ day late payment over 6 years ago

- Util: 21%

Message 9 of 10
myjourney
Super Contributor

Old thread alert >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.