Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My credit card was compromised.

tag
BOSScredit
Regular Contributor

My credit card was compromised.

My CC was compromised, what do I do now?

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Re: My credit card was compromised.

Call the issuer, watch your statements for unusual activity.
Message 2 of 13
chwebb1
Established Contributor

@B335is wrote:

+1.

photo NUS000000180_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo DISCOVER_IT_LG.gif photo card_1.png photo night-launch.png photo NUS000000012_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo bankamericard-better-balance-rewards-credit-card-small.png
$15000 ........... $12500 ............ $11750 ............ $10000 ........... $9400 ............ $5000 ............. $5000
In the Garden until at least November 2015
Message 3 of 13
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

@B335is wrote:

Just be glad that they got your CC info, and not your debit info.

This is why I put 100% spend on my CC's.  I just simply don't worry about my info being compromised like it was so often when using debit.

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 4 of 13
BOSScredit
Regular Contributor

Is this a serious problem? Does it happen often? Im pisse...

Is this a serious problem? Does it happen often? Im pissed because the stupid credit union didn't even tell me. My card got declined and I called to see why and then they told me it was compromised. Im so furious. Im thinking of closing the card with them because of how crappy they handled it. 

Anyways, is this something to be worried about? Or is it a simple fix, such as just sending a new card or closing the account?

Message 5 of 13
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Is this a serious problem? Does it happen often? Im pisse...

@BOSScredit wrote:

Is this a serious problem? Does it happen often? Im pissed because the stupid credit union didn't even tell me. My card got declined and I called to see why and then they told me it was compromised. Im so furious. Im thinking of closing the card with them because of how crappy they handled it. 

Anyways, is this something to be worried about? Or is it a simple fix, such as just sending a new card or closing the account?

How was it compromised?  Was the CU at fault?

Message 6 of 13
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

@BOSScredit wrote:

Yup - and neither of the two banks that I was with, during my 2 incidents told me either.

I found out by one day going to use their issued debit cards, to only have them declined.

When I called, they told me what had happened, and would get a new card out to me within 7 days.

How about telling me BEFORE I try to use it that NEXT time - so I can have a different source of payment ready....

Nothing like consuming a meal or staying at a hotel, and your card is declined before a replacement can be sent.

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 7 of 13
ntr1991
Established Member

@BOSScredit wrote:

How long was it between when it was compromised and when you tried to use it?  When my CU card was compromised, I only got a call the next business day because their office is only open during business hours, and the fraud happened at 8 PM. 

As for the fraud itself, it will eventually happen to everyone. You call them up (or they call you), and they'll mail out a new card with a new account number.  The biggest hassles are waiting for the card to show up (~7 days for a smaller bank/CU), and changing any automatic billing you had on that card. 

$500--Penn State FCU Visa
$2000--Discover
Message 8 of 13
BOSScredit
Regular Contributor

Okay so this isnt a SERIOUS problem? I don't know who was at fault, the CU wouldn't tell me anymore information. They're still investingating. However I do know that they didn't have any initiative to call because I called within one minute of the card being declined so they knew beforehard, they just didn't tell me. Rediculous!!

Message 9 of 13
longtime_lurker
Valued Contributor

@BOSScredit wrote:

Okay so this isnt a SERIOUS problem? I don't know who was at fault, the CU wouldn't tell me anymore information. They're still investingating. However I do know that they didn't have any initiative to call because I called within one minute of the card being declined so they knew beforehard, they just didn't tell me. Rediculous!!

I'm just going to go out and say that no card issuer is responsible for declined transactions and the damages caused by them (It's in the T&C). This is always why I carry 3 cards... Smiley Tongue.

But honestly, OP, it ends up happening to everyone. Just watch your statements closely - hopefully the CU can tell you what they find out in the investigation.

Good luck!

Current cards: MSUFCU Platinum, Amex PRG, Amex Surpass, Amex BCE, Citi Prestige, Citi Double Cash, Citi Premier, US Bank Cash +, Huntington Voice, AAviator, Sallie Mae, Discover IT, Chase Freedom TU:753 EQ Enhanced: 758
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.